Will UPS Bend Hoffa Over like in 2013?

ski or die

Ski or Die
1st let me say I'm not ruling out a strike. 2nd I was hired in 99. I wasn't too far after the strike. People always talk. I'm close with most stewards in my building. I know of at least 5 people that crossed during the strike. I personally don't know how they were treated during the strike. I do know that people on here talk about how drivers that crossed quit or went into management because of the treatment they got after. Every one of those drivers has retired or is still working and none were treated bad since I started in 99.
Worked in Union Clerical as a union steward. Last grievance I had to process before I retired was for a person who crossed over during the strike. The employee was initially denied the grievance by Labor Manager. So I had to fight for her grievance which we ended up winning. Tough one to work on, but she still was a union employee.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Worked in Union Clerical as a union steward. Last grievance I had to process before I retired was for a person who crossed over during the strike. The employee was initially denied the grievance by Labor Manager. So I had to fight for her grievance which we ended up winning. Tough one to work on, but she still was a union employee.
That's a tough situation but tons of respect for you doing the right thing. Had it been me in that situation it would have been hard for me to fight for someone who disrespected the union so badly, but then expects that same union to fight for her.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Wonder if him and Hoffa are staying away from each other....
Sean has never been one to avoid. Sean was very vocal when DT was taking proposal books back during last round of meetings. Sean will let you know how he is feeling wether you want to hear or not.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Sean has never been one to avoid. Sean was very vocal when DT was taking proposal books back during last round of meetings. Sean will let you know how he is feeling wether you want to hear or not.

Sorry. But his political posturing is useless. Hoffa got all he needed from O'Brien. Then dumped him. Hoffa used him. Nothing O'Brien can do for many yrs to come. Maybe in 6 yrs he will have learned

wide load

Sorry. But his political posturing is useless. Hoffa got all he needed from O'Brien. Then dumped him. Hoffa used him. Nothing O'Brien can do for many yrs to come. Maybe in 6 yrs he will have learned
6? Pretty sure Hoffa was the one being used for years. You’ll see Sean in just under 4.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
"Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me".

I hope Sean learned a valuable lesson and lives by that creed going forward.

wide load

Hoffa just won. O'Brien will not help with UPS for 6. Ups is the money pit for the union. Every bit of 6
Hoffa just won, a year ago. 4 years till the next one. Sean helps UPSers everyday. He just pulled all the safety committees because people were getting screwed on comp. he’s never been a wait and see guy. He takes action.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In 97, Mr. Carey was very vocal concerning UPS continually replacing full time jobs with part time jobs. He constantly complained how a family could not live on part time wages. It was a very big issue at the time and helped persuade the public to back the strike.
In reality isn't that still the case?
With part-timers still making up more than half of our membership, couldn't that same plea still be made to the general public in the event of a strike?

wide load

In reality isn't that still the case?
With part-timers still making up more than half of our membership, couldn't that same plea still be made to the general public in the event of a strike?
It can. But UPS will put out the talking points.

Our drivers are complaining about $40 an hour.

Who gets full paid health.

Pension??

They will avoid poverty wages and slave like working conditions. That’s what our union should be directing towards.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It can. But UPS will put out the talking points.

Our drivers are complaining about $40 an hour.

Who gets full paid health.

Pension??

They will avoid poverty wages and slave like working conditions. That’s what our union should be directing towards.
Same dynamic, just 20 years later.

Gear

Parts on Order
And the mechanic in my Center makes significantly less than I do....what's your point?

Really? Do you mean your hourly rate or yearly income including overtime? Here we are a few cents over pc drivers. I think feeders pulling doubles get more an hour then us. Its the excessive overtime that drivers work that would make a significant difference, but you can have that. Im IAM but I would think Teamster mechs would be paid slightly higher then Teamster drivers. I dont think I've ever heard of a job where mechs are paid less an hour then drivers.

Inthegame

Nothing O'Brien can do for many yrs to come.
That's funny. Hoffa fumbled when he took back that appointed position, and that's all he can do to Sean O. He can't take away the shine. Many on the GEB, Division Directors, JC Presidents and Local Union leaders were standing in line waiting to talk with Sean O at the two-man, because they know where things are headed.
These negotiations won't go anywhere without Sean O's input and blessing.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Really? Do you mean your hourly rate or yearly income including overtime? Here we are a few cents over pc drivers. I think feeders pulling doubles get more an hour then us. Its the excessive overtime that drivers work that would make a significant difference, but you can have that. Im IAM but I would think Teamster mechs would be paid slightly higher then Teamster drivers. I dont think I've ever heard of a job where mechs are paid less an hour then drivers.
Tell us about your pension compared to that of a UPS driver.

govols019

You smell that?

Hourly and yearly...my mechanic has only been employed by UPS for a little over a year.

Gear

Parts on Order
Tell us about your pension compared to that of a UPS driver.

Im told by IAM, we are 101% vested. We dont have all the dead weight pulling us down like Teamsters with all the retirees from closed businesses. A guy retired about 3 years ago with 30 years and "says" he is getting close to $6500. Another guy with 25 years, says he is getting just over $5200. I talked to a few guys who were IAM and worked for Penske and they're saying 3200-3600 a month. Plus I haven't read anything about IAM retirees taking cuts.

I guess the main difference is we have more companies contributing into our pension. UPS is the main contributor to the Teamster pension. UPS isnt the main contributor to the IAM pension.

But that can all change tomorrow. My plan is to retire at 25 years, assuming I dont bail before then. Im a job jumper.