Would you take concessions?

kurtkampy

Just for discussion would you take concessions come next contract? Wouldn't it be nice to have life back before the recession? I don't think UPS will change but if we gave a little would they, or at least honor the 9.5 language? The last time the economy dumped (and it wasn't nearly as bad now) back in the late 70's, we agreed to a contract of no raises but bonuses. Full timers got $1000 a year and part timers $500. Seeing this recession is worse with the outlook not looking good for a while, I'm thinking they wouldn't even offer bonuses. I don't see how UPS could be anymore efficient or get anymore out of the drivers. I don't see UPS staying in competition with FedEx if they keep raising price every January. So want would you give up? Would you give up a week of vacation? Would you pay say a monthly premium to give your benefits going? Would you give up a dollar an hour wage? Would you agree to a two tier wage scale for new employees? I'm not saying any of this may happen but wondering what others think. I do think the contracts talks will be brutal. Is anybody ready to strike?

K Kampy

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Concessions ? Ummmm . . . let me think . . oh yah . . . They can kiss my ass ! ! ! !
So tell us how you really feel!

A two tier wage scale would only make the targets on our backs even bigger.
We're already the highest paid in the industry, I refuse to work for less than I am paid right now, but I might would give up a few raises if UPS would relax their Unfair Production Standards and actually honor the 9.5 language for a change.
I will not give up any vacation time. We work a very strenuous job and I'm not getting any younger. I need the breaks.

TUT

I don't see UPS staying in competition with FedEx if they keep raising price every January. Would you agree to a two tier wage scale for new employees?
K Kampy

1. Your competitor raised their prices each year the same as UPS. Ground has the same List between each company the last time I checked.

2. The two tier system is your worst case. It sends two terrible messages. A. Fire me for cheaper labor! B. I could careless about our children's future. This country isn't going to survive if wages continue to go backwards. That is economic disaster for us all and very surprised it's not talked about more in politics, probably because they know it's re-elect suicide, so it's ignored.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Those who came before us had many opportunities to negotiate raises or bonuses for themselves in exchange for a two-tier wage scale. Fortunately for us, they chose not to. We owe it to those who will come after us to do the same thing. It is wrong to screw the unborn.

Kman845

Im not giving one inch. Not a single thing. Record Profits, record greed, no need to concede.

I say we do away with the 9.5 language and multiple other things in the contract UPS seems hellspent on breaking or finding loopholes around. Instead, everyone gets a $10/hr raise.

Raise our hourly wages enough no one will be working over 8.

K

brett636

Honestly, I am pretty happy with what I have and what I make. Where I would be willing to make concessions is possibly smaller or no raises if it meant bringing the part timers a more respectable starting wage and raise schedule. Perhaps even go back to getting their benefits after 30 days. The problem as I see it is that our part timers are those who will eventually become future drivers and representatives of this company in the future. If they continue to get paid peanuts with no benefits the higher quallity part-timers will be looking for other work bringing down the quality of people our customers see each and every day. A good portion of this company's success is the relationship between the drivers and the customers, and if that goes down the tubes the entire company won't be far behind.

LVD*4*LIFE

No concessions. I EXPECT we will keep all benefits, have pay increases & maintain or raise our pension.
Our company is NOT hurting!

In 82 they agreed to a two tier wage for part timers. I was hired in 86 for $8 down from $10+. Twenty five years later part timers are still only getting $8.50 with a longer wait for benefits. Two tier, what a great idea.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Those who came before us had many opportunities to negotiate raises or bonuses for themselves in exchange for a two-tier wage scale. Fortunately for us, they chose not to. We owe it to those who will come after us to do the same thing. It is wrong to screw the unborn.

I wonder if part-timers would agree to that observation. I thought it was sacrificing part-time compensation and benefits so that fat cat full-timers could have their high wages, benefits and pension.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Im not giving one inch. Not a single thing. Record Profits, record greed, no need to concede.

I say we do away with the 9.5 language and multiple other things in the contract UPS seems hellspent on breaking or finding loopholes around. Instead, everyone gets a $10/hr raise.

Raise our hourly wages enough no one will be working over 8.

K

Does "K" stand for kindergarten? :wink2:

over9five

Staff member
I wonder if part-timers would agree to that observation. I thought it was sacrificing part-time compensation and benefits so that fat cat full-timers could have their high wages, benefits and pension.

P/Ts outnumber friend/Ts at least 2 to 1. They could dictate terms to the contract if only they'd participate.

Really with their numbers alone, they could be the fat cats while the friend/Ts were left behind.

P/Ts outnumber friend/Ts at least 2 to 1. They could dictate terms to the contract if only they'd participate.

Really with their numbers alone, they could be the fat cats while the friend/Ts were left behind.

If defense of us "fat cats" the part timers I`ve seen are different than the part timers of 86. Now many want to get the "fat cat" jobs and wages without putting the time in.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Has anyone been paying attention ?

And let me be clear again. What we need to be doing is sending a message and making sure that our members understand that we’re not going to be talking about concessions, we’re going to be talking about improvements.

UPS made $5.8 billion last year. I’m not complaining about that. I hope they make $10 billion this year. Because you know what I say, the more they make, the more we take when it comes to negotiations.

(Standing ovation)

Thank you. Thank you.

GENERAL PRESIDENT HOFFA: Thank you, Ken, for all that hard work at UPS.

http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamst...roceedings.pdf

-
Bug-

Karma...

I would not strike if my pay kept yearly pace with inflation and got another 7 paid days to use as added optional, sick or personal days.

bigblu 2 you

not one cent or one step back in any way.some old union guys told me a long time ago"what ever you give up you never get back"...no to the tier system,it would be abused . oh yea........i want my turkey back!!

TUT

In 82 they agreed to a two tier wage for part timers. I was hired in 86 for $8 down from $10+. Twenty five years later part timers are still only getting $8.50 with a longer wait for benefits. Two tier, what a great idea.

That is pathetic.