Would you take concessions?

Karma...

I would not strike if my pay kept yearly pace with inflation and got another 7 paid days to use as added optional, sick or personal days.
I will add the turkey, safe driving awards and years of service awards all come back.......also birthday and ups anniversary date off with pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Honestly, I am pretty happy with what I have and what I make. Where I would be willing to make concessions is possibly smaller or no raises if it meant bringing the part timers a more respectable starting wage and raise schedule. Perhaps even go back to getting their benefits after 30 days.

+1

I would be more than happy with nothing more than a COLA for the drivers and all raises going to the part-timers. I have voted "no" on every offer in the last 20 years for the simple reason that it is downright immoral to require union membership and dues for a minimum wage job.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I say raise PT starting wage to $15/hr and cut all health benefits for part-timers.

Sorry PT's.

I would be happy with conceding raises outside of COLA, also, for FT. However, there must be improved 9.5 language , 22.3 FT language, art 40 and greater/progressive penalties for supervisors working.

bbsam

Staff member
UPS will start using part-time drivers and phase out the full-time positions to save the wages and insurance premiums. I think this is what Fedex Express does with alot of their drivers.

bigbrownhen

I agree with wage increase going to the part timers, I am happy with what I make. Stronger language for the abuse of over 9.5 and more personal/sick days. I also like the idea of giving bennies to the part timers earlier......90 days at the most.

Also, very strong language of how electronic monitoring is used. We need to stop this in it's tracks now, before we have cameras watching our every move all day, with audio. There are enough supervisiors out there to do the "monitoring". I don't believe there are that many dishonest drivers out there to warrant the over-supervision.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Hasn't it already been mentioned that we will be paying for health care, anyway?

Also, I never mentioned not maintaining existing FT jobs. That I believe is already in the contract.
Your concession idea was to stop paying for part-time ins. I say that is the path to no more full-time jobs. They will use more casuals to cover routes that should have been made full time long ago. They are doing it now. Just worrying about the current full time jobs is selfish. If the guys and gals before us had only worried about themselves, we would not have had ins when we were part-time. We have to be the ones looking out for the next generation of UPS Teamsters, as no one else is.

brownelf

i'd like to see triple time for any work past the 9hr mark each day, the only way to fix this excessive hours of work is to make it cost the company more $$ to work us overtime than to put more routes on the street.JMO

fr8dog

You agree to concessions and you'll read a few months later in the WSJ how UPS grade 20's and above voted themselves another 100-200% pay raise.

browned out

I will concede that UPS makes record profits, our people are the most efficent and UPS has the best margins in the industry. It appears Davis needs to take concessions as his compensation has gone up exponetially compared to the hourly UPSer. If UPS opens a concession stand in front of our center; I will buy a burger.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
i'd like to see triple time for any work past the 9hr mark each day, the only way to fix this excessive hours of work is to make it cost the company more $$ to work us overtime than to put more routes on the street.JMO
That is a logical and reasonable way to frame the desire to keep hours at 9.5 or 9 hours a day.
Don't make it a grievance procedure ... just make it part of the contractual pay per hour.
Feeder drivers working 4-10s would need something like an 11 hour per day trigger point.
This makes sense and then UPS management would mange to that.
Now the question is, what would you be willing to exchange for that?
Reduced pay per hour? Pay for part of your benefits package?

Karma...

You agree to concessions and you'll read a few months later in the WSJ how UPS grade 20's and above voted themselves another 100-200% pay raise.
How much do these various grades make in total compensation and what are the titles. My supervisor says that there is no way she can retire at age 55 ( in around 10 years ) with 35 years of service.....The younger management are in even worse shape .

Catatonic

Nine Lives

That is not how it works.
The management compensation committee is outside consultants and a few UPSers that present to the Board of Directors and then it gets implemented or not.

bbsam

Staff member
That is not how it works.
The management compensation committee is outside consultants and a few UPSers that present to the Board of Directors and then it gets implemented or not.
Outside consultants recommended Scott Davis' 75% pay raise? Wow. Wish I had that kind of objective commentary on my job performance!:happy-very:

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
So tell us how you really feel!

A two tier wage scale would only make the targets on our backs even bigger.
We're already the highest paid in the industry, I refuse to work for less than I am paid right now, but I might would give up a few raises if UPS would relax their Unfair Production Standards and actually honor the 9.5 language for a change.
I will not give up any vacation time. We work a very strenuous job and I'm not getting any younger. I need the breaks.

+1000.

No concessions, keep wage were it is because of being overtasked and if anything the new contract should focus on:

* REALISTIC fair days work being enforced by having union involved fully in time studies and results of time studies ENFORCED by union.

* Safety should overrule production.

* We should be able to take our full 10 minute breaks uninterupted by job tasks like sorting our loads or calls with center.

* We need to have ability on ALL ROUTES to have a REAL LUNCH IN MIDDLE OF WORK DAY, not a dummy lunch at end of day!!!
WHICH MEANS ROUTES NEED ADJUSTED FOR US TO ALL HAVE THIS RIGHT!!!

* When it comes to these matters and days work should not go over 9.5.

I would rather see these things before any more raises and would not be willing to have wages lowered.

Screw the tier wage progression. They get that equivalent by having SEASONAL DRIVERs for more then half of every year and cover drivers with half pay runinng routes. $16.10 seasonal and cover drivers for how many years before ability to get a full time bid is what I call an extensive enough wage tier process. That's near half top rate.

They get their savings already.

If the union can't get the work load to a safe level and lunch enforced to a mid day event then maybe we need to start focus on D.O.T. lobbying. We are not LTL commercial drivers. D.O.T. should start regulating on local commercial drivers like us and these SAFETY MATTERS. If D.O.T. really understood the load we have I'm sure with a little pressure we can get stronger legislation on this at least for public safety if not our own.

Tell me that 20 stops an hour is safe and I'll call you a lier.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How much do these various grades make in total compensation and what are the titles. My supervisor says that there is no way she can retire at age 55 ( in around 10 years ) with 35 years of service.....The younger management are in even worse shape .
There are only a couple of people in each district that are grade 20 or higher. Operations manager and District manager. Since UPS went public all levels below Grade 20 are making less and their retirement is worse the younger they are. It cannot be stressed enough or too much that 401k is all UPSers real retirement resource for financial needs. I have maxed mine out for the last 15 years and it is still not where I feel comfortable. Every year I work, I put another $22,000 in my 401k. If you are 35 years old and are not putting $15,000 into your 401k or equivalent, you are planning to work until you are 70 or older - just a word to the wise. Whether you are management or hourly.