bumped

Well air driver is definitely not a promotion. I'm sorry people are angry that they will make the same as a new guy. They still have more seniority which entitles them to picking vacation first, going full-time first and many other things. We have full-time drivers with 35 years. I'm sure they're not happy a guy that started just four years ago is making the same pay as them.

I've been driving 20 years. I think the new guys are getting screwed over with the 4 year progression. Its not like an apprenticeship. After these newbies are done with the 30 days they are up to speed. There is no learning curve. Management will fire these guys just like if a 30 year driver makes the same mistake.

542thruNthru

I've been driving 20 years. I think the new guys are getting screwed over with the 4 year progression. Its not like an apprenticeship. After these newbies are done with the 30 days they are up to speed. There is no learning curve. Management will fire these guys just like if a 30 year driver makes the same mistake.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to imply that all PT shouldn't get a raise. I'm just saying they shouldn't get upset just because a new guy is making as much as them now.

The 4 year progression is just another concession. Just another give back to the company. And what did the Union members receive for it? More work everyday and longer hours. And the opportunity to make $100k/yr.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to imply that all PT shouldn't get a raise. I'm just saying they shouldn't get upset just because a new guy is making as much as them now.
I don't remember anyone complaining about a new guy after the 90 day progression, making the same hourly rate as a 1 year or 5 year employee. Seniority still prevails.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I don't remember anyone complaining about a new guy after the 90 day progression, making the same hourly rate as a 1 year or 5 year employee. Seniority still prevails.

Hell, back in 1979 when I made full-rate after the thirty or sixty or ninety days (whatever it was in my local) progression, all the older guys shook my hand and congratulated me.

Why would anyone be upset or jealous?

542thruNthru

Is that sarcasm or you being honest. I only ask because this thread was started by someone upset that a new guy will make the same as him.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Is that sarcasm or you being honest. I only ask because this thread was started by someone upset that a new guy will make the same as him.
Well in the good old days part of being in a union was unity and being happy for your brothers and sisters.

Now we have punks like the op
That are only worried about themselves.

35years

Gravy route
As a 35
We have full-time drivers with 35 years. I'm sure they're not happy a guy that started just four years ago is making the same pay as them.
35 years+ here.
I think I can safely say long term drivers have no problem with 4 year drivers making the same pay, or even 1 year drivers.
============================
The idea of a higher starting wage for pt sounds to me like a bargaining chip by the company that the Union should not have to pay much for. UPS can't staff the hubs at the current starting wage. They know they are going to have to pay more even if the union did not push for it. And future employees obviously don't vote now.

The union will probably push for wage increases for new employees since it also increases dues. Then they will claim the contract is a victory. It is something that the company knows is needed to maintain a stable workforce. An increase in starting wages really does not do much for current Teamster workers.

Would a higher starting wage for newbies be worth substandard wage or health care/pension increases for long time employees? Remember 95% of these new hires will be gone within a year. I say reward current workers first. Increase wages and benefits for long time part and full timers before new, essentially temporary employees.

Last edited:

alwaysRTS

Shop Steward
We do talk to our union rep about it but he does nothing either he's the one who determines what we can file a grievance for and he usually says that we can't. Lol so I give up! What can I do!?
Grieving a supervisor working falls under Article 3 Section 7 of the national master agreement. Let us know how it turns out once it's settled. In our area the grievance is paid double time for supervisors working.

Dritalin

My wife just got home from her midnight shift, she said her supervisor told everyone that as of Monday all hourlies are getting a 15/hr minimum. They didn't say anything to us on my Twilight sort at a different center, so I'll believe it when I see it, but there you go.

W

What The Hawk?

My wife just got home from her midnight shift, she said her supervisor told everyone that as of Monday all hourlies are getting a 15/hr minimum. They didn't say anything to us on my Twilight sort at a different center, so I'll believe it when I see it, but there you go.
Our "raise" was only for our center. It's kinda weird.