8 hour req

9.5 everyday

Yeah....its none of my business, yet.....you were more than willing to clearly state your intentions for your 8 hour requests (including admitting to purposely trying to line your pockets) very early in the thread and without being asked to and without being forced to. Hmmm.......

LOL!
I'm basically saying, even if you know my business, I expect management to screw me over from time to time but it shouldn't come from a fellow Teamster that's only motive is to put extra cash in their pockets instead of actually wanting the 8/hour day.I don't care what you think, just like you shouldnt care what I do with my 8 hr days. Are you the 8hr day police?

9.5 everyday

I'm basically saying, even if you know my business, I don't care what you think, just like you shouldnt care what I do with my 8 hr days. Are you the 8hr day police?

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm basically saying, even if you know my business, I don't care what you think, just like you shouldnt care what I do with my 8 hr days. Are you the 8hr day police?

Thank you Capt Obvious. Did you really think I wasn't aware that someone that is willing to take up 8 hour requests just to get the penalty over others that actually want 8 hour days to give a crap what people think about it? LOL.

Why do I keep pushing the issue you ask? Because everyone once in a while there are people that need to have their dirty ways brought to their attention in order for them to realize how friend*ed up they are. Occasionally it works and they take a step back and think and realize that they are affecting people other than the ones they are targeting.

For example....the last 8 hour request I submitted was, at first, for not because the same ole people had already asked. And I knew all but one were doing it to try and get the penalty. I know that because they have bragged about it for all to hear. I've seen them, and others, sit in the office and brag about how they went slower that day on purpose so that they could get the penalty and then clock out one minute past the 8.5 hour mark (there is a 30 minute "cushion" in our supplement). One of them heard that I needed the 8 hour request to make it to something I had going on with one of my kids that night and he withdrew his request. He has no problem going after the penalty but if he knows someone else actually needs the day then he backs out.

Yes, I realize there are some people that actually want the 8 hour day but look at the penalty as an acceptable alternative. I have no problem with them. It's the people that's sole purpose is to make penalty pay that suck. They are in the way of the people that really want an 8 hour day. Hide behind seniority......if that makes you feel better. As for me....I will never take something that I don't really need if I know there is someone else that really does. And me claiming seniority wouldn't make things right in my mind.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If someone is putting in for 8 hours just to get the penalty pay they're not blocking anyone from getting OT relief because the company wasn't going to honor the request that day anyway. All they're doing is holding the company accountable.

Overpaid Union Thug

If someone is putting in for 8 hours just to get the penalty pay they're not blocking anyone from getting OT relief because the company wasn't going to honor the request that day anyway. All they're doing is holding the company accountable.

Not quite. It is to the point now where the supervisors know who is doing that. They will often just over dispatch them according to the plain (until the big boss complains) because they know they don't really want an 8 hour day. When there are a constant flow of 8 hr requests by them they are either going to accommodate them or let them get their penalty pay. Either way they are taking an 8 hour request that someone that actually wanted a light day could have had. And like I said....they will more than often stay out to get the penalty.

Back before UPS decided to increase our work loads, and before anyone figured out this scheme, it was easy to get an 8 hour request. Even after the company started loading us down it took a while for the idea of making a little extra money this way to catch on. 8 hour requests were actually used to get a light "8 hour" day. Holding them accountable is not the same as purposely screwing them. Yes, they screw us but I like to think that by refraining from returning the favor keeps one from sinking to their level. I will not hesitate to file for the penalty (hold them accountable) but I will not ask for the day just to turn around and purposely stick it to them monetarily while blocking someone else form potentially getting the day. I am no better than them if I do.

Last edited: