olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Just got into feeder and getting lost finding a hub in a neighboring urban county is not fun. Time will solve this, but talk about apprehension dragging a 53' box behind you.
better than a set of doubles...try backing a set up or having to break up and reset to get out of a dead end or bad spot.

welcome to feeders.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My first week by myself, I got some bad directions from dispatch. That's a news flash lol. I pulled a set into a dead end beside one of our buildings. You only do that once. After that, before you commit to a blind turn, you get out and walk it first.

P

pickup

Just got into feeder and getting lost finding a hub in a neighboring urban county is not fun. Time will solve this, but talk about apprehension dragging a 53' box behind you.

If your directions are like mine, they only have the name of the hub and the slice number on top.

And the directions are usually something like this: Get off interstate XX at exit 57, at the second traffic light , make a left, go about a mile and a half up the road and make a right on Bumblefuk road , at the next light : make a sharp left onto Quagmire Street (Discount Mattresses will be on your right., Proceed about 1/8 of a mile, UPS will be on your right.

Well, that's just fine and dandy, but what if the sign for Quagmire Street or Bumblefuk road is not visible, missing, or not on the side of the street you were expecting it? Or what if Discount Mattresses closed down a month or two ago and has been replaced with a T Mobile?

So my suggestion is that you google "UPS and the town it is in" on your smartphone before you take off . For example "UPS Worchester, Mass" and a map should pop up with a red spot , indicating UPS customer counter or something like that. And that's usually the location you are going to . Zoom in and see if you spot Bumblefuk road and/or Quagmire Street. You now have a map to go with your directions. You can also see what streets are before Bumblefuk and Quagmire . So that when you are driving the last few miles of your leg and see one of these streets, you know your turn is coming up soon.

I usually write down the names of the three streets that intersect the road I am traveling on before the intersection that I need to turn at. That is , for a run I never did before(they are becoming rarer) , or a run I haven't done in a long time, or for a run that has now a different way of getting there due to a closed bridge or road.

Obviously try to commit the crucial part of the map to memory as you don't want to really be driving and consulting a smartphone at the same time.

You can also show the directions to a fellow driver and ask "hey , are these good directions"? and you might get lucky to be asking a guy who did that run a lot of times.

P

pickup

If your directions are like mine, they only have the name of the hub and the slice number on top.

And the directions are usually something like this: Get off interstate XX at exit 57, at the second traffic light , make a left, go about a mile and a half up the road and make a right on Bumblefuk road , at the next light : make a sharp left onto Quagmire Street (Discount Mattresses will be on your right., Proceed about 1/8 of a mile, UPS will be on your right.

Well, that's just fine and dandy, but what if the sign for Quagmire Street or Bumblefuk road is not visible, missing, or not on the side of the street you were expecting it? Or what if Discount Mattresses closed down a month or two ago and has been replaced with a T Mobile?

So my suggestion is that you google "UPS and the town it is in" on your smartphone before you take off . For example "UPS Worchester, Mass" and a map should pop up with a red spot , indicating UPS customer counter or something like that. And that's usually the location you are going to . Zoom in and see if you spot Bumblefuk road and/or Quagmire Street. You now have a map to go with your directions. You can also see what streets are before Bumblefuk and Quagmire . So that when you are driving the last few miles of your leg and see one of these streets, you know your turn is coming up soon.

I usually write down the names of the three streets that intersect the road I am traveling on before the intersection that I need to turn at. That is , for a run I never did before(they are becoming rarer) , or a run I haven't done in a long time, or for a run that has now a different way of getting there due to a closed bridge or road.

Obviously try to commit the crucial part of the map to memory as you don't want to really be driving and consulting a smartphone at the same time.

You can also show the directions to a fellow driver and ask "hey , are these good directions"? and you might get lucky to be asking a guy who did that run a lot of times.

This sort of thing goes under the philosophy of "Win today, fight tomorrow" . I read that in the Art of War and it resonated with me. Put the mental work in before you leave and you are much more confident and more likely to achieve your goal: getting there in one piece without hittin' nuthin'.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
This sort of thing goes under the philosophy of "Win today, fight tomorrow" . I read that in the Art of War and it resonated with me. Put the mental work in before you leave and you are much more confident and more likely to achieve your goal: getting there in one piece without hittin' nuthin'.
it's funny that you mention "The Art Of War". I read that and used tactics I learned from it against management. Those tactics worked like a charm!!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!

Well done !

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I use Google maps and check new places out. There are a lot of buildings that have an address on a street that doesn't match our entrance.

ATLGA would be one off the top of my head.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I use Google maps and check new places out. There are a lot of buildings that have an address on a street that doesn't match our entrance.

ATLGA would be one off the top of my head.
I use satellite view all the time to see where the docks are and what entrance to use.

barnyard

KTM rider
Back when I was a noob, I got up early on Saturday and ran all the legs of a route on my motorcycle. Stopped for coffee and wrote down the exit name and numbers.

Indecisi0n

Is it true going feedahs gives you a flat ass? My buddy told me that and from the view in my center is he right. I don't want to lose my bubble butt if I decide to go.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Getting tired of fighting with the crappy barn doors on the air trailers ,,, they use friend:d up chain and clip to secure the doors , none are the same , then you gottah fool with the cheap doors to close them ,, and watching the whole time not to cut yourself on the older ones which are rotted away !
Yup ,,, let's put the gold in these trailers !!!:(