Indecisi0n

If you feeder guys were to emergency brake would you ever pull both the air brake values out while still moving in an attempt to stop the truck faster ?

trickpony1

If you feeder guys were to emergency brake would you ever pull both the air brake values out while still moving in an attempt to stop the truck faster ?

Absolutely not.
Do you remember in school you learned that "....a skidding wheel wants to lead.".
I've lost my air on my back trailer a time or two. By the time I got my truck off on the shoulder the rear trailer was at 30 degrees outward.

Moral of the story: to do as you suggest would lock all the brakes. The weight of the skidding trailer(s) would push the tractor in an uncontrollable manner resulting in a bad jackknife situation.

Trust me......don't try it.

Indecisi0n

Absolutely not.
Do you remember in school you learned that "....a skidding wheel wants to lead.".
I've lost my air on my back trailer a time or two. By the time I got my truck off on the shoulder the rear trailer was at 30 degrees outward.

Moral of the story: to do as you suggest would lock all the brakes. The weight of the skidding trailer(s) would push the tractor in an uncontrollable manner resulting in a bad jackknife situation.

Trust me......don't try it.
Not in school but hopefully soon. I was just curious but like you said there is no steering a skidding tire. Makes sense.

trickpony1

Not in school but hopefully soon. I was just curious but like you said there is no steering a skidding tire. Makes sense.

Do you remember as a child you would "hammer down" on your bicycle, go real fast and slam on your (rear) brakes?

What happened?

Your rear wheel tried to come around didn't it?

I don't make this stuff up.

trickpony1

If you are being taught to use the air brake valve(s) to stop the truck....there are serious problems.

-the air brake valves aren't used to stop vehicle;
-the hand lever isn't used to stop vehicle.

What is used to stop vehicle?

The pedal just to the left of the gas pedal.

Indecisi0n

If you are being taught to use the air brake valve(s) to stop the truck....there are serious problems.

-the air brake valves aren't used to stop vehicle;
-the hand lever isn't used to stop vehicle.

What is used to stop vehicle?

The pedal just to the left of the gas pedal.
Lol chill pops ! I was only asking that question in theory.

ManInBrown

Any Edison feeder drivers on this board? Looks like I will be working out of that center after feeder school. Being low man from package, what kind of runs would I be looking at? Is there more OT in Meadowlands? I was originally thinking I would startout of Meadowlands just to get in quicker, but that has changed.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
What surprised me the most about driving a tractor-trailer, especially in the snow, was how much different a rig drives than a car. I guess it's self evident, but I just assumed in snow the trailer would fishtail like a car tends to. But a rig is much more predictable. Unless you are on ice or taking a turn far, far too fast, the only thing that will fishtail is your drive axle. The tractor is simply pulling the trailer/s. In most cases, the only time a trailer will fishtail is if those wheels are locked up, i.e., if you jam on the brakes. This was a nice surprise to me. After all, if your drive axle breaks loose, you just need to get off the brake or accelerator.

Any Edison feeder drivers on this board? Looks like I will be working out of that center after feeder school. Being low man from package, what kind of runs would I be looking at? Is there more OT in Meadowlands? I was originally thinking I would startout of Meadowlands just to get in quicker, but that has changed.
Good luck with that... You won't get much overtime going to the bottom of the list in any feeder district...