Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Difference here is that Q list is a full time position, if a PT employee gets on the Q list he/she is considered a newly hired FT driver and begins their progression.

barnyard

KTM rider
Bid sheet lists the qualifications. If the senior driver meets them, he/she gets the bid, if not, goes to the next senior.

If there is not a feeder school bid associated with the run, then the unqualified drivers can sign it, but their names will be crossed off as unqualified.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Where I am, Central Region, no local Rider covering this situation, none of them would get the bid.

If no feeder qualified FT driver bid on it, it would be assigned to the least senior FT feeder qualified driver.

If they all already had a bid, say this was a new job, UPS would then have to post a bid for feeder school to train any FT package driver.

Ms.PacMan

Difference here is that Q list is a full time position, if a PT employee gets on the Q list he/she is considered a newly hired FT driver and begins their progression.
This is where I jumped into the fray. The part timer on the Q list is not full-time and not in progression. He gets full pay when he covers feeders. This seems off to me and like an end run around someone earning a full time pension.

I left one thing out that I didn't think was important but is now being considered. A mechanic with a CDL but not on the Q list signed the bid. Apparently mechanics because of some outside agreement aren't allowed to bid driving jobs and he signs the bids in protest. Is he feeder qualified? He is not on the Q list.

The drivers contend that the bid said eligible full time so they were asked if they would scratch their names off so the full time mechanic could have the job. They said no.

There is a full time driver on the feeder Q list who did not sign the bid. He also refuses to cover 3 out of the 4 feeder runs and pushes the work to the part timer. He stays on the list because he may want a feeder job at some point (but not now).

Why is the part timer not full time?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This is where I jumped into the fray. The part timer on the Q list is not full-time and not in progression. He gets full pay when he covers feeders. This seems off to me and like an end run around someone earning a full time pension.

Why is the part timer not full time?
Under my supplement he would be:
In the event that no eligible full-time employee elects to qualify, qualified part-time employees in
that building will be afforded the opportunity to fill the full-time qualified position prior to hiring from outside sources. Such employees
will be considered newly-hired full-time employee(s) and will be
placed on the full-time qualified list as a full-time employee upon successfully completing the required training and will receive all full-time
benefits.

barnyard

KTM rider
Even though the mechanic has his CDL, unless he has done UPS feeder school, he is not contractually qualified.

Jones found the language that I thought existed but was too lazy to look for. Way before I signed my FT bid, a feeder school bid was hung in my building that went unsigned. I was asked if I was interested (I was PT) and I was. The next day, a FT driver signed and went to feeder school.

If the PT qualified does get the bid, a feeder school bid should be hung so that there is a qualified person to cover vacations.

In my building, there is an annual feeder bid. If a low guy got the bid now, he may not hold it when the annual bid is held. And because we go by FT seniority and not classification seniority, a package guy could go to feeder school and sign the bid for the run that is being discussed now.

barnyard

KTM rider
The thing with the PT guy that goes feeder, is that he would not be qualified as a package driver, so would not be able to bump into package.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The thing with the PT guy that goes feeder, is that he would not be qualified as a package driver, so would not be able to bump into package.
Under my supplement the company would have to train him:
A laid off tractor-trailer driver who has never driven a package car
or route shall be considered not qualified as a package driver. Such
tractor-trailer driver will be trained to be a package driver. If more
than one tractor-trailer driver is laid off the senior laid off tractor-
trailer driver will be trained first. When that training is finished, the
next most senior tractor-trailer driver on layoff will be trained.

We got it all covered :wink2: