ManInBrown

Couple questions I was wondering. Going to feeder school in a few weeks.

How do you punch in when you're in feeders? In package you walk in, grab the board and punch in. How does it work in feeders? Do you have to go right to your tractor and punch in on Ivis? I show up 2 minutes before start. I don't want to have to show up early and search for my tractor to punch in. I'm not doing that.

I'm not in a hub so we don't have feeders that originate from my building I don't think? Is there a feeder office in the hubs?

Do you use the same tractor or does the tractor go with the run like package?

I get conflicting answers from some of the feeder drivers I've spoken to. Almost every single one told me once you move to feeder, you never touch a package again. Then one feeder driver told me he had a local run where at one of the pickups he had to load in loose tires? Which one is it? I'm not making the move to feeders and sacrificing a regular sleep schedule so I can still break my back loading 500 tires in a 53 footer. And I would have to imagine if runs like that exist, they go to the bottom guys which will be me. Are there runs where you still handle packages? I thought everything for feeder was pallets?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It really depends on your work center as each place may be different.

At our hub , you punched in at the dispatch window and then looked for tractor. I shared my tractor with a day driver. the tractor stayed with the run for the most part.

Sometimes I touched packages but it was rare. Sometimes we had to do a load transfer. If a trailer fails the pretrip and is redtagged you may have to transfer load to good trailer . Very rare but it happens.

Some runs the driver had to help unload trailer at a satelite hub. Not usual.

What they say is pretty much true....."the worse day in feeder is better than the best day in package."

be grateful.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
There is probably an ivis in shop
Or pkg center to punch in on , that's a minor detail , you may load some loose pkgs at a CPU (customer p/u) don't fret about it , it not like pkg, your main concern right now is learning how to drive and be safe , pay strict attention in the school , you will learn a lot , slow down and deep breathes , it all comes together ,, good luck !!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

How do you punch in when you're in feeders? In package you walk in, grab the board and punch in. How does it work in feeders? Do you have to go right to your tractor and punch in on Ivis? I show up 2 minutes before start. I don't want to have to show up early and search for my tractor to punch in. I'm not doing that.

I'm not in a hub so we don't have feeders that originate from my building I don't think? Is there a feeder office in the hubs?

I get conflicting answers from some of the feeder drivers I've spoken to. Almost every single one told me once you move to feeder, you never touch a package again. Then one feeder driver told me he had a local run where at one of the pickups he had to load in loose tires? Which one is it? I'm not making the move to feeders and sacrificing a regular sleep schedule so I can still break my back loading 500 tires in a 53 footer. And I would have to imagine if runs like that exist, they go to the bottom guys which will be me. Are there runs where you still handle packages? I thought everything for feeder was pallets?
All depends on location and center management. Lots of places punch in in diad office. If something needs run a lot of times will put it on feeder run. Know of some coustomers that would just text feeder driver if they need a pu and it would be added. It all differs.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
What is the "sequence number"? For example; when completing the 'outbound load' screen (when none of the basic info was pre-entered by dispatch), or if you have to add a leg to your 'schedule'.

twoweeled

I know it's late, but I just read this. It's probably going to differ between hubs. But just like package, you're going to run into the blowhards that like the tough talk. I do this, don't do this, I told them this, and so on. Then you work there awhile and find out it's all BS, and that same guy isn't telling anyone anything.
I punched in on an electronic time clock. Same as a time clock, but I think we used employee id and so on. I mostly showed within a minute of start time FYI. Then you sign in at the tractor. But you're already punched in, from the time clock in the office. Don't bet your life on having the same tractor, or the assigned tractor. BIG FIGHTS OVER TRACTORS AT MY HUB!! You'll be bottom man, so wait till the dust settles and take the crap keys they give you. PRE TRIP IT GOOD. DON'T BE AFRAID TO RED TAG FOR SAFETY ISSUES IF NEEDED. Package you roll if it's still brown, but in feeder you actually pre trip.
I've loaded tires. SUCKS!!! yes, you will have to load them if the stop calls for it. (Unless it's changed) Over 70 lbs rules still apply. Some of those tires do get heavy. Some can be over 70 lbs. You can ask for help from the office. They'll probably push the threats and all. Make sure the local will back you before you push this. I can't count the times I've loaded tires in almost 20 years. Maybe 4-5 times. Not everything will be pallatized.
Overall, I still say; GO TO FEEDER! The sooner you get in, the better. Trust me on that one.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What is the "sequence number"? For example; when completing the 'outbound load' screen (when none of the basic info was pre-entered by dispatch), or if you have to add a leg to your 'schedule'.

It is the ID of the trailer going to a hub or center.

If CACH builds 15 trailers going to NEWPA, the sequence # of the first trailer is 1. The second trailer would be 2, and so forth. As you correctly surmised, this number is given by dispatch.

If the info was not pre-dispatched, I always just put in 1.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

I agree with the post above. If you have to manually input the sequence each trailer you put in has to be a different number.

Also, If you look on your paperwork it is supposed to be written to the right of the slics and sorts on the top right of the paper. Sometimes it matches up and sometimes it doesn't.

mpeedy

It is the ID of the trailer going to a hub or center.

If CACH builds 15 trailers going to NEWPA, the sequence # of the first trailer is 1. The second trailer would be 2, and so forth. As you correctly surmised, this number is given by dispatch.

If the info was not pre-dispatched, I always just put in 1.
If you are pulling a set it will only let you use the number 1 for 1 of the trailers. You have to pick another number for the second, third trailerI I use 2 and 3.