Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
If you're worried you should ask to Shadow a driver for a day on a run you might be stuck on. That used to be a requirement in my location but they've dropped it.

We had too many package guys wig out because of night driving or because mama wanted them home at night. This was supposed to give them an idea of the job before they signed their life away.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I am not saying to run just so you an be off at 8. I am asking doesn't the constantly long nights get to you over time? Or maybe its that you just adjust to it. Listen we all know package sucks but its really nice to get a 8 hour day here and there to help recoop. Just spit ballin.

I can't speak to other areas, but here, our shifters only work 9.5 hours. And that is as easier than any 8HR day in package car. But most of us work our 60HRs, or run mileage and do extra on top. The money is too good, and the hours are easy. If you get tired of working 60, you can easily bid a shorter run to recharge, or if you're a cover driver, pick a shorter run the following week.

You simply can't compare hours worked in package car to feeders. The two are completely different.

jaker

trolling
So I understand the work is "easier" but do all drivers not mind working 11-14 hours a day? Even though its not package it still seems like a long day.
It can be a long day , but you can always get a nap in somewhere . I will be the first to say I hate working 11 hours you can do 8 hour days but it really depends on what you are doing if you are on a run then you can't leave until finish, but if you are open wad and they are not looking for help you can do a 8 hour day sometimes

Indecisi0n

Lots of good points. I guess with package we work late hours , bust our ass but still come home at night to wife and sleep together.

Indecisi0n

It can be a long day , but you can always get a nap in somewhere . I will be the first to say I hate working 11 hours you can do 8 hour days but it really depends on what you are doing if you are on a run then you can't leave until finish, but if you are open wad and they are not looking for help you can do a 8 hour day sometimes
I'm going to just say friend it and do it. I know I can't do package. It might be feeders or the highway.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I'm going to just say friend it and do it. I know I can't do package. It might be feeders or the highway.
Its all spelled out on the bid. Every day is the same thing. You know exactly where you are going, what pickups you are doing and how long it will take. Anything not on your bid is extra work. You can always refuse extra work. Anyone working 11 hours a day wants to. Just pick a different bid with a lower planned day.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So I understand the work is "easier" but do all drivers not mind working 11-14 hours a day? Even though its not package it still seems like a long day.
I had the same concern and actually held off going to feeders for a couple years because of it. Turned out to be a complete non issue, like others have said the 2 jobs are so different. In package I would file on 9.5 in a heartbeat, morning after the third day the grievance was on their desk at start time but in feeders it doesn't bother me a bit. My current run I work 10-10.5 every day and it works for me. I could have taken a run with less hours if that's what I wanted.

Indecisi0n

Its all spelled out on the bid. Every day is the same thing. You know exactly where you are going, what pickups you are doing and how long it will take. Anything not on your bid is extra work. You can always refuse extra work. Anyone working 11 hours a day wants to. Just pick a different bid with a lower planned day.
Well while I am bottom bitch I dont think I'll have much of a choice of bids.

jaker

trolling
I wish it was like that here more , we have over 150 guys a day just doing wad work , so you never know what you are doing

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
In my seven years of feeders, I've only done, maybe two weeks in a spotter. That was easy work, but time drags by in the yard. I would say between half and 2/3's of the road guys here want to get their 60 if possible. Why? Because 60 hours is a $2500 paycheck, and the work is so easy. The other road guys are either mileage guys that don't want extra work, or the burners, who do their best to ruin routes by running hourly routes like mileage runs.

For me, the only time working 60HRS gets tiring is when I'm running a 10-10.5 HR job, and I'm doing extra when I get back. That can get tiring, knowing your potentially done, but there is more money to be made. It's really just a state of mind more being tired.

You'll see, it's so much easier to work more hours back here, making a lot more money.

35years

Gravy route
Just talked to a feeder driver (former package) who has seniority on me (half do). He finishes up at 6:45 PM; starts at 7 A.M....except for nights like tonight, they were sending him out again at 6:45, not by his choice. No 9.5 list, no 8 hours, weekend and night work for most.

I'll keep my cushy package route. I am done before him 3-4 days a week. I would not even be able to annually win his start time. Add to that my 8 hour requests and my choice of vacation weeks... and feeders is not appealing.

jaker

trolling
Just talked to a feeder driver (former package) who has seniority on me (half do). He finishes up at 6:45 PM; starts at 7 A.M....except for nights like tonight, they were sending him out again at 6:45, not by his choice. No 9.5 list, no 8 hours, weekend and night work for most.

I'll keep my cushy package route. I am done before him 3-4 days a week. I would not even be able to annually win his start time. Add to that my 8 hour requests and my choice of vacation weeks... and feeders is not appealing.
I felt that way in the beginning , but now you couldn't get me back in a package car . I will do two pulls and that is sometimes 10 hour day

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Feeders is just like package car in one way, and to me, one way only. You start at the bottom, and get the worst jobs, worst hours initially. It just gets better and better as you go along. After a few years, if you want a day job, you can get a day job. If you want 60 hours, at least in my department, they would let you get 60. We were perpetually short handed. When I got into feeders, it was all nights for me, and on call and coverage in the very beginning. There was one job that started at 1300. ALL the drivers ahead of me passed on it. It was a full time yard shifter, with the exception of, after going to meal around 1700, I jumped in a tractor and made a CPU. Came back in and got back into the shifter, worked till the midnight lineup got put in. During peak, I got a job going to Louisiana and back. Anytime there was an overflow, I went on the road. It was a hot job in the summer and wet when it rained. I did that job for 2 years. I'm a backing fool now, tho. lol. The worst day in feeders is still better than a good day in pkg, imho.

Indecisi0n

Feeders is just like package car in one way, and to me, one way only. You start at the bottom, and get the worst jobs, worst hours initially. It just gets better and better as you go along. After a few years, if you want a day job, you can get a day job. If you want 60 hours, at least in my department, they would let you get 60. We were perpetually short handed. When I got into feeders, it was all nights for me, and on call and coverage in the very beginning. There was one job that started at 1300. ALL the drivers ahead of me passed on it. It was a full time yard shifter, with the exception of, after going to meal around 1700, I jumped in a tractor and made a CPU. Came back in and got back into the shifter, worked till the midnight lineup got put in. During peak, I got a job going to Louisiana and back. Anytime there was an overflow, I went on the road. It was a hot job in the summer and wet when it rained. I did that job for 2 years. I'm a backing fool now, tho. lol. The worst day in feeders is still better than a good day in pkg, imho.
And I expected to be at the bottom for a bit. I am OK with it being I have the mindset that everyone needs to "pay their dues". I have mentally made my mind up and I'm gonna feeda. Buddies tell me the first thing I really need to do is get fatter to help fit in. Right now I am slim, trim and ready to win.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

Drivers would fight for those hours at my building. Here the best jobs start between 3-5AM and are between 11 and 12 hours per day of paid time.