Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Just wanted to thank you guys for all the information. When I learn something new I like knowing all the in/outs but at the same time I don't want to be that guy literally asking 100 questions a day to the instructor. I also like to hear others opinions on how why they do things. Thanks agin boys !

Anytime.

Indecisi0n

How much instruction does your area give? I had a week of feeder school which had a fair amount of pressure, then a production week where I was expected to retain most of what I learned in school, show improvement daily and most of all not show any bad judgement.

It seems like you've been driving for weeks already. I'm surprised you aren't on your own right now.
I should be on my own shortly just waiting for my spot to open. I drove in the yard when slow and I talk to a lot of the feeder guys. I feel like I am learning tons already. I even play with their IVIS' s

EJJ

UPS Package Car Driver
You have to sign a feeder school bid, which will qualify you for a feeder job. Until you are UPS qualified, you cannot sign a feeder bid. All you can do is ask when the next feeder school bid will be hung in your building. It has been 8 years since a feeder school bid was hung in my building.

So what about if you already have your CDL already? I’ve been a package car driver for 10 months and I’m just waiting for our list to come out. But I’ve been driving cdl for 11 years prior to coming to ups. Would the process be faster for me?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So what about if you already have your CDL already? I’ve been a package car driver for 10 months and I’m just waiting for our list to come out. But I’ve been driving cdl for 11 years prior to coming to ups. Would the process be faster for me?
It will be faster in that you won't have to get your CDL as part of your training. You still have go through the 2 week class.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
2 weeks of UPS training

when I came on I had 14 years experience as a tractor-trailer driver. You will be very surprised about how much you will learn. If you get a good instructor you will become a much better driver.

EJJ

UPS Package Car Driver
I have a question for all your feeder drivers, I’m trying to get into feeder in San bruno but I was wondering would I be able to transfer to the Lathrop hub over the years ?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I have a question for all your feeder drivers, I’m trying to get into feeder in San bruno but I was wondering would I be able to transfer to the Lathrop hub over the years ?
is that in the same district? you can check the language in your contract and also speak to human resources. very difficult to transfer usually unless they move work from bruno to lathrop. the only other way is a hardship transfer and not sure if they do those anymore.

TTIMMAAYY

Tips on the best way to prepare for my written CDL exam.I heard Trucker Country was a good place to go,any thoughts?(good sites)..thanx..Local 439 N.cal Lathrop,12yrs.

over9five

Staff member
It is. Other than the hand valve, I know of nothing else that turns on lights AND service lines, unless Over has a next generation KW. Over, post a picture of this button you’re talking about.
Hey man, didn't want you to think I missed this. Had a couple days off, and on
vacation next week. Seems my Kenworth got a permanent transfer.... Stuck my head in a different one the other night, didn't have that option.
Searched online, can't find a picture OR anything that mentions it.
I'll get a picture at some point. No-one else have one of these Kenworths? The switch is right beside the airbag switch.
Best part about this is I'm in a Freightliner now. Heads and tails better than the Kenworth. Just not having to hear that proximity alarm all night is awesome!

Indecisi0n

I saw a FedEx truck blow out a tire on the highway and he didn't have much of a shoulder to pull off you. He put his hazards on and kept driving. I assume to find a service station. Is that what you guys would normally do?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I saw a FedEx truck blow out a tire on the highway and he didn't have much of a shoulder to pull off you. He put his hazards on and kept driving. I assume to find a service station. Is that what you guys would normally do?

Yes, if you can get off the road, that's your priority. You only want to be on the shoulder if that's your only choice. Sometimes it's not possible, but if it drives, at the very least, get to an off ramp. The shoulder is a nerve-wracking and dangerous place to be.

If can't get off the highway, pull off as far as you can, get out and set up your triangles, then stay in your tractor until help arrives.

It's happened to me three or four times, where the motor quit, and the shoulder was my only option. Most drivers will do what they're supposed to, but it's amazing how many idiots just stay in the right lane when they could move to the hammer lane as they pass you. Most truckers are pretty good about it, unless they just can't move over.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
you can drive with a blown tire if on a set of duals until you get to a safe place to pullover. this is assuming not very far. put your 4 ways on to alert over drivers that you may be a hazard.

if your motor quits and you can't get all the way off the road in time which has happened to me a couple times , you can crank over the motor while in one of the low gears and 'walk" your way off the road. you don't want to do it too long or you will overheat the starter.