Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I'm currently in the hiring process as a permanent street hire in Chicagoland (not cach). looking for info in regards to hours each week starting out. I know only people with a bid work everyday and it'll take a couple years for everything to steady out. I've been told a lot of people are retiring, so I'm hoping to move up the call list a little. Fingers crossed they move that progression rate up a little in the new contract before I get locked in the old if I get on...
From my experience , you are probably being hired as a vacation cover driver for the summer and they will work you on various jobs till early October , you will be able to only pick jobs over causals hired after you !! You could be stuck in a yard jockey quite a bit as well , you will know by Thursday. The job you’re doing the following week !! 26 or 27 an hour I think ,,if you’re lucky enough that they put you on a fulltime list , you’ll take a pay cut !then go on the progression scale , all of your pt work there will not count toward progression or seniority , that starts day one on which you make book ,,,, good luck and hope this helps you !!

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
You literally do nothing in feeders. 3-5 moves of driving and your day/night is over.

If you call being alert for 10-14 hours a day/night doing nothing then your description is correct.

Your always one second away from a blown steer tire, someone crossing lanes and taking you out or dip:censored2: doing a brake check.

This job is dangerous!

Blackbeauty7123

From my experience , you are probably being hired as a vacation cover driver for the summer and they will work you on various jobs till early October , you will be able to only pick jobs over causals hired after you !! You could be stuck in a yard jockey quite a bit as well , you will know by Thursday. The job you’re doing the following week !! 26 or 27 an hour I think ,,if you’re lucky enough that they put you on a fulltime list , you’ll take a pay cut !then go on the progression scale , all of your pt work there will not count toward progression or seniority , that starts day one on which you make book ,,,, good luck and hope this helps you !!
Thanks for the info! But this is full time on call position. Starting progression at 18.75. Just wanted to know if it's steady work from the starting blocks to pay bills etc. not necessarily eat steak dinners on the weekends lol. I was told it's pretty slow Jan-may. I'm hoping to have some other street hires under me (if hired) by then so I'm not at home waiting by the phone as much.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
How much does the dude make just moving trailers around the yard? Every time I see this guy he’s chilling, laughing and joking with people with a coffee in his hand and a brand new Kenworth tractor that hes never out of. I asked him what he did and he says he just moves :censored2:, and spoken like a guy that truly had the life, he almost skipped away into the sunset.

I never like to ask another man what they make so I’ll throw it out there. It has to be THE easiest job at UPS. If this guy gets anything like top feeder rate of pay I give up.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
How much does the dude make just moving trailers around the yard? Every time I see this guy he’s chilling, laughing and joking with people with a coffee in his hand and a brand new Kenworth tractor that hes never out of. I asked him what he did and he says he just moves :censored2:, and spoken like a guy that truly had the life, he almost skipped away into the sunset.

I never like to ask another man what they make so I’ll throw it out there. It has to be THE easiest job at UPS. If this guy gets anything like top feeder rate of pay I give up.
There is a lot of responsibilities with that job , you probably see him when the fire dies down , when it’s busy ,game is on ,, when they are inside yelling on radios for you to pull a door and hurry and put one on , it heats up the pressure trucks coming & going , people not using designated walkways , pkg cars cutting thru yard , backing trailer into a parking spot and the street lite goes on and off cuz they’re so cheap they’re on intermittent timers ,, yeah , you don’t see this ,, tough job when it show time !

ManInBrown

Here it’s the same pay as a feeder driver. Shifting jobs are posted along with all the other runs.

KoWag

There is a lot of responsibilities with that job , you probably see him when the fire dies down , when it’s busy ,game is on ,, when they are inside yelling on radios for you to pull a door and hurry and put one on , it heats up the pressure trucks coming & going , people not using designated walkways , pkg cars cutting thru yard , backing trailer into a parking spot and the street lite goes on and off cuz they’re so cheap they’re on intermittent timers ,, yeah , you don’t see this ,, tough job when it show time !

Being a yard jockey/shifter is Hard!! But it makes you a better driver .

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
True words.

over9five

Staff member
So, I was turning WORMA early Saturday morning, and saw this:
Dude hooking up a set, and was backing the dolly under the kite. Just as the dolly starts to push under the kite, the dolly uncouples from the lead. Front of the dolly shoots up (dude's still backing, can't see this is happening), hits overhead door of lead and breaks it all inward off of the tracks. What a mess!
Anyhow, FYI, always have that dolly pinned!

Johney

So, I was turning WORMA early Saturday morning, and saw this:
Dude hooking up a set, and was backing the dolly under the kite. Just as the dolly starts to push under the kite, the dolly uncouples from the lead. Front of the dolly shoots up (dude's still backing, can't see this is happening), hits overhead door of lead and breaks it all inward off of the tracks. What a mess!
Anyhow, FYI, always have that dolly pinned!
I've seen pics of something similar happening to a guy in Jax.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Driver is back at work after being out for a couple of months. he was stuck upside down pinned in the tractor for 4 hours and 7 minutes. His guardian angel was working overtime that night.

Thanks for the update. That driver was very fortunate, half of that tractor is in totes!

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Are any of your guys new IVIS's lagging behind on time? There are times when my IVIS can be 3 minutes behind my phone and both are Verizon.

When I punch out this thing is taking 1-2 minutes of pay from me per day. I've never paid attention when pinching in.