barnyard

KTM rider
Dear God I remember seeing those in our yard. Poor :censored2:er you're showing your age now. No one in our feeder dept has ever drove one of those them guys are long gone.
Really???
We had one at my center for shifting, which is what I trained on. 2 guys that were on the feeder list in my building took their CDL test in it. I never drove it on road, but did ride in one during peak as a helper. 1 day, we did not have enough volume to justify a trailer, so we held everything and reloaded into the cattle car when it got back from the airport. It took us almost a full hour less to get the job done because the cattle car had power steering.

Johney

Really???
We had one at my center for shifting, which is what I trained on. 2 guys that were on the feeder list in my building took their CDL test in it. I never drove it on road, but did ride in one during peak as a helper. 1 day, we did not have enough volume to justify a trailer, so we held everything and reloaded into the cattle car when it got back from the airport. It took us almost a full hour less to get the job done because the cattle car had power steering.
All the guys who may have drove those are long gone now.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Dear God I remember seeing those in our yard. Poor :censored2:er you're showing your age now. No one in our feeder dept has ever drove one of those them guys are long gone.

We had 2 of those and only got rid of them about 14 year ago.

I believe the one was a 7 speed International, without power steering but it did have cruise.

I think the other one was a 5 speed GMC that had power steering but no cruise.

Good sleeping tractors. Almost a full size bed between the seats.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Jacking them up 3 foot higher than normal to let the packages slide down the rollers.

It sometimes got hairy positioning the tractor to let them down.

barnyard

KTM rider
We have guys that were on the feeder list, that took their names off when the jobs were moved to another building. Those guys all qualified in cabovers. I would think that is at least 4 guys in my building. I qualified as a shifter in one, we had a Volvo cabover as a yardbird for a while too. When I started, we had 5 tractors assigned to my building. 4 of them were cabovers.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I started in 85, all they had were 5 speed GMC's and 2 or 3 cabover Internationals they used for spares. When I'd break down, I'd keep my fingers crossed that the mechanic didn't bring me a cabover. They were hard to shift, and it felt weird looking straight down at the road, but they rode better than the Jimmy's.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I also drove a snub nosed international with a Cat engine in it. Man, that thing would pull. Also drove a Sterling for a few years. (worst tractor of my career, in my opinion. Finished with a long nosed international. They had just started getting in the Freightliners when I retired.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I also drove a snub nosed international with a Cat engine in it. Man, that thing would pull. Also drove a Sterling for a few years. (worst tractor of my career, in my opinion. Finished with a long nosed international. They had just started getting in the Freightliners when I retired.

When I started in feeders, I had a twin-screw Sterling. It had no power, but it had the greatest A/C in the fleet and was an absolute beast in the snow. I used to go to Iowa, and that thing never once came close to getting stuck.