Ask a Feeder Driver, Feeder Driver FAQ

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 104Feeder, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Same here. Everyone is scared of the big trucks

2. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

I'd agree if it wasn't for this statement from the OP. That tells me it'll be a long time for the OP.

3. Sweeper

Sweeper I need a bigger broom

Same here

4. Bigfoot11

Bigfoot11 Member

So it would still be smart to just wait it out and sign it every quarter?

I only ask because what's the point of a bid sheet for package car drivers that already have a class a and just the seniority sign up sheet?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  5. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

I don't really get that part, we don't do that here. We just have one bid sheet.

6. Sweeper

Sweeper I need a bigger broom

Here’s what I’d do:

Read the sections of your supplement that is in effect now then see if there are changes coming in your new supplement.

I’d find out who the feeder steward is and have a “how does this actually work” conversation with him. The steward also more than likely has a pretty good idea on what staffing needs due to seasonal fluctuations and what retirements are soon to come.

It’s posible that how things have worked in the past may be changing once the new contract is implemented.

Set yourself up to be in the best position possible but I’d be hesitant to drop your own money for training if it’s not going to do much for you long term. Sign every single bid and list until you’re in feeders.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  7. Indecisi0n

So with all this snow going on I wonder, what do you do if you are on an interstate/turnpike and a commerical restriction goes into effect? If you see a sign for commercial restriction to you quickly pull off or just continue on? What if there is my way back from where you are going without using the interstate?

8. Jones

If there is no way for you make it back under 14 hours you get a hotel room courtesy of UPS.

9. pickup

pickup Well-Known Member

Were you able to answer your question by firsthand experience yet?

10. Indecisi0n

lol, oh yeah. You should see all the junk in my trunk. My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

11. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Ask at the feeder office. They will know.

12. Indecisi0n

If there is one thing I learned at UPS it's that everyone in the office is clueless.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Richard Harrow

Richard Harrow Deplorable.

Question may have been covered but I dont feel like going back through 300 pages of this thread, so can someone explain to me how it is that you guys know where you're going/what your assignment is everyday providing you dont have a regular run?

Also, what is management stance on GPS use? I'm hoping by the end of the summer I'll be in feeders and the only thing that gives me any anxiety about it is not knowing where I'm going while at the wheel of a vehicle thats difficult to get turned around if you go somewhere you're not supposed to be.

14. Jones

Here if you're cover and you don't have an assigned run for the week you're on call. Basically if someone calls out they will call you in seniority order and offer you the work, if you don't want to do it and there are still drivers under you on the on call list then you can pass on it.
    They don't care if you use a GPS, I used one when I started and still keep it handy but honestly your best bet is to get with other drivers and let them talk you in whenever you're going someplace new.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

Get a good headset and get a few numbers from senior feeder drivers. Most can talk you turn for turn into any place you need to go. Far better than any GPS, they will give you a heads up on what to look for and do at any destination you are going to, but spend the money on a good Blue Parrot or better cause there is nothing worse than trying to talk someone into a TA with a crap headset.

16. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

That's funny.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

Anyone ever make a delivery to Amazon? I never even knew this but apparently we bring them loads and they sort the work for us?

18. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

I never have, but we have a long list of their yard rules on our bulletin board.

19. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

The Amazon listings show 'others available.' I ordered one of those. Came with the original package, but had been opened. Significant discount. The tractor I had on the last run I covered did not have a radio, so I streamed podcasts into the headset. It worked perfectly.

20. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

At least my old dispatch had a whole file cabinet full of map pages of every meet point and place of business and UPS building that the drivers in my building might go to. Sometimes the maps were hand written. Sometimes not so accurate. But with the advent of GPS and Waze, etc, it shouldn't be near as bad these days. I don't go anywhere now without Waze.