Indecisi0n

Not in the right area but I'll try anyways. I'm a tractor trailer driver for Fedex Express. I have about 5yrs under my belt with the company. Was curious about jumping ship to UPS to be a feeder driver. I get about 45-47hrs a week now working overnight 630pm-430am. Do you guys work many 10-12hr shifts? I like my 9hrs and have the opportunity to get 2-1030pm shift but I'll lose my OT but I'll have a somewhat better schedule. What do you guys think? Any advice? Thanks
More importantly do you look better in brown as oppose to purple ?

Indecisi0n

Well that's very helpful. Thanks
I'm a mod, it's what I'm here for.

Your hours depend on your run. Your run depends on seniority. Your seniority helps depending on how many people are in which location you go to. There is no way for any of us to be able to answer how many hours your going to get . Some guys are 8 and shake and others work 60 every week . Most of the senor guys want the work so they take the long hour jobs . Your shift / job all depends on what I said before .

Hell some of the new guys here have been laid off for the past 3 weeks . You just don't know .

How did I do?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not in the right area but I'll try anyways. I'm a tractor trailer driver for Fedex Express. I have about 5yrs under my belt with the company. Was curious about jumping ship to UPS to be a feeder driver. I get about 45-47hrs a week now working overnight 630pm-430am. Do you guys work many 10-12hr shifts? I like my 9hrs and have the opportunity to get 2-1030pm shift but I'll lose my OT but I'll have a somewhat better schedule. What do you guys think? Any advice? Thanks
It's pretty rare for UPS to hire feeder off the street but it does happen. If you get the opportunity take it.

Csdsm18

It's pretty rare for UPS to hire feeder off the street but it does happen. If you get the opportunity take it.
Yea where I am they've been hiring 2 coworkers left to go to them. Just kinda in a hump as I can get decent hours here just the pay n pay raises is no where near you guys. I'm hoping to get a raise this year which I doubt will get as stock is not good and they are putting cameras in all our trucks now.

I'm a mod, it's what I'm here for.

Your hours depend on your run. Your run depends on seniority. Your seniority helps depending on how many people are in which location you go to. There is no way for any of us to be able to answer how many hours your going to get . Some guys are 8 and shake and others work 60 every week . Most of the senor guys want the work so they take the long hour jobs . Your shift / job all depends on what I said before .

Hell some of the new guys here have been laid off for the past 3 weeks . You just don't know .

How did I do?
Great. How's that lever on the dash been treating you? Lol.

Indecisi0n

You still haven't offered an alternative to part timers getting the chance to cover feeder when no full-time employee is willing to be trained.
If it were up to me a part timer would not be allowed to cover for a feeder but rather give that PTer the opportunity to transfer into a FT feeder position if he wants. The goal is to create more FT jobs not PT.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
If it were up to me a part timer would not be allowed to cover for a feeder but rather give that PTer the opportunity to transfer into a FT feeder position if he wants. The goal is to create more FT jobs not PT.

We don't have any part-time feeder drivers, when the list is exhausted they call Coyote. They are also hesitant to add new drivers unless desperately needed.

I would rather them have a few trained part-time employees then give the work to Gypsies. Especially if the days worked counted towards progression.

Indecisi0n

We don't have any part-time feeder drivers, when the list is exhausted they call Coyote. They are also hesitant to add new drivers unless desperately needed.

I would rather them have a few trained part-time employees then give the work to Gypsies. Especially if the days worked counted towards progression.
While I agree with your thought process I still would do everything on my powers to stop it. You know once you give the company an inch they take a mile. If they call in scabs start filing.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I meant instead of seeing part timer feeder drivers come in if no one inside takes the job .

there is always extra work that they could combine together.... much easier to do than in pkg and in larger feeder Dept’s.... hard if you only have 2 or 3 feeder drivers....

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Also depends how much your union rep pushes ups to hire more drivers... if there are a ton of grievances on coyotes working then they can add a run or 2....gotta force them sometimes

fedx

Extra Large Package
Also depends how much your union rep pushes ups to hire more drivers... if there are a ton of grievances on coyotes working then they can add a run or 2....gotta force them sometimes

So does Coyote send available drivers to UPS to haul their stuff or does Coyote send 3rd party drivers in private owned trucks to haul? I never heard of Coyote before until the above mention. They say they are non-asset based, so no equipment of their own. Does Coyote send drivers to UPS with UPS provided uniforms to drive UPS trucks or do they send 3rd party contractors with their own equipment to haul UPS parcels?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So does Coyote send available drivers to UPS to haul their stuff or does Coyote send 3rd party drivers in private owned trucks to haul? I never heard of Coyote before until the above mention. They say they are non-asset based, so no equipment of their own. Does Coyote send drivers to UPS with UPS provided uniforms to drive UPS trucks or do they send 3rd party contractors with their own equipment to haul UPS parcels?

They send contractors who have their own tractors, to pull our trailers

Coyote is just a freight forwarder that UPS bought years ago.

If a company needs freight moved, Coyote can find a driver to move that freight.

We, UPS feeder drivers, have been used before.

I pulled a Coca Cola trailer and a Miller High Life trailer.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They send contractors who have their own tractors, to pull our trailers

Coyote is just a freight forwarder that UPS bought years ago.

If a company needs freight moved, Coyote can find a driver to move that freight.

We, UPS feeder drivers, have been used before.

I pulled a Coca Cola trailer and a Miller High Life trailer.
You Moved coyote loads recently??? We’ve had guys move loads and have to wait 2 hours for them to be loaded.... one move a few miles took 1/2 the day....