Ask a Feeder Driver, Feeder Driver FAQ

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 104Feeder, Dec 11, 2012.

1. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

We have 3 runs in my building. I was very, very nervous the 1st time alone (after my productive week.) The weekend before, I ran all the legs on my motorcycle. Wrote down exit numbers and things like that at the end of each leg. That helped quite a bit. During road construction season, I look at the DOT maps online before leaving so that I know what to expect. I have still been caught by surprise, but because I had viewed the map, I knew what my detour options were.

2. 2Down2Many2Go

2Down2Many2Go New Member

Where I'm at in your first week's of training on road will give you a folder with directions to all of ups buildings we go to a well as all of the rail yards.

If not dispatch has maps or can print you one if you ask.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

You guys using Waze, gps, etc, just remember UPS will hold you responsible if it detours you under a low bridge or into a tree limb on some dirt road.
    Better to use their map with their printed directions...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. pickup

pickup Well-Known Member

I’ve brought loads to them from our hub but those loaded trailers were full of returned or non accepted packages.

• List
  5. Rick Ross

Rick Ross I'm into distribution!!

At my building many senior drivers have no clue about any TA other than their own...they stay on the same runs for decades at a time. And many of the guys who came from package are afraid to bid off their crappy runs because they are afraid of change, so they are no help.

Drivers like me who stay on daily coverage almost every week of the year would be the most knowledgeable...In the past 3 months I've probably been to over 30 centers, hubs and meet points. Many times I'll run extra loads and other hubs send me to centers my building doesn't even build loads for, $$!

My advice is to always look at a Google image and know where you are going. Many addresses in the UPS system are to the front of a building with the feeder entrance around back or on a side. If you drive to the front it may be difficult to find a place to turn around a set or a longbox.

6. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

I guess what works for one may not for another. I only gave advice for what works and has worked here for years. Junior drivers have no clue here. The one's from Jax are the worst. Seen one the other night turn in front of me with a traffic cone stuck under the front of his tractor. After trying to catch up to him and giving up as he was doing at least 20 mph above the posted speed limit I caught him(he was barely old enough to hold a CDL) at a traffic light and motioned to him that there was a problem he proceeds to act like I'm a :censored2: for bothering him. So seeing him at the TA the cone must've been under there for at least 20 miles.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  7. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

Great tip.

Anytime I went to a new building, I would Google Image it and see where I needed to go to get to it, find the feeder gate and even get the layout of the yard.

Middleburg Heights OH

UPS Middleburg.jpg

• List
  8. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

I talk to a guy two or three nights a week that goes there.

9. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

Small world, but it'd not me.

10. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

No kidding, believe me I know it's not you.

11. Brownpants80

Brownpants80 Member

Im considering making a change to feeders to save my body from package car. My wifes concerned. She doesnt care about midnights because shes a bed hog, my kids are all still young. I was going to make a change before but they scared me when they said i could be gone for 3 days at a time and work 70 hours for the normal. They changed drivers in my center to 9.5.

Can anyone list pros and cons, i read through some of these but there all older. Its a new contract coming. I dont know what to expect. I dont know what the pay is, etc. Any advice would be helpful.

12. over9five

HERE, they can't force you otr.
    Check on that, maybe you have no worries.

13. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

You say you want to save your body. Is it in good enough shape to be saving? Pics?

14. Brownpants80

Brownpants80 Member

You dont want to see my pics lol

15. Indecisi0n

You have a Feeder body?

16. Brownpants80

Brownpants80 Member

I will soon

17. Indecisi0n

Quick feeder tip, baby powder under the moobs does wonders . @over9five shared that tip .

18. over9five

Eeiiewww....

19. Brownpants80

Brownpants80 Member

Lmfaoo. Do u like being a feeder?

20. Big Arrow Down...D

Big Arrow Down...D Leave the gun,take the cannoli

He prefers it.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List