Ask a Feeder Driver, Feeder Driver FAQ

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 104Feeder, Dec 11, 2012.

1. brostalss

brostalss Active Member

Did my first ever chain up in the Rockies late Wednesday night or Thursday morning. Wasn't as hard as advertised. I was very grateful to have a seasoned veteran Sleeper driver with me to show me how to do it.

2. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

Wonder how the veteran driver slept
    when the guy behind the wheel is a rookie on chains in snow in the Rocky Mountains

I’am going to take a guess and say not to good

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. brostalss

brostalss Active Member

He actually stayed up with me until we unchained. Then he slept like a rock all the way to Nevada.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  4. Feeder665

Feeder665 Go big or go home!

I’d love to try a sleeper run. Sadly, we don’t have any in our center.

5. brostalss

brostalss Active Member

Some people love it. Some hate it. Do a three day sleeper run, then do extra work all on OT. Do a second day of extra work all on Double time. $4000 a week.

6. Rick Ross

Rick Ross I'm into distribution!!

We don't have any 3 day sleeper runs, most are 4.5 - 5.5. I've heard a few drivers at SDFAS are in the $185k range because they can always pick up extra days.

Even if we did have 3 day runs they wouldn't be able to work until coverage, super Q and Q list drivers got their days in. The only real chance they would have for extra work would be covering other sleeper runs as the B driver out of my hub.

7. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

If I was single I might try sleeper for a bid just to check out places like CACH and SDFAS, but other than that it has zero appeal for me. The only positive I can see is the money and I just don't need the money that bad.

8. Hitman Con

Hitman Con New Member

Can any feeder driver here, help with an answer. There’s a package delivery position where I stay, that’s full time. However, one of the ups feeder driver that comes and picks up where I work, said that the building that’s hiring is small, and doesn’t have feeder positions, so wait until the bigger facility posts a position, so I won’t get stuck in the future. Should I wait? Or is there a way to bid on feeder positions at other buildings once I have enough seniority etc.

9. Jones

Depends on where you are. Where I am feeder openings at the hub also get bid at the outlying centers, but it's not like that everywhere.

10. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

Here you are better off staying away from smaller buildings when it comes to feeders. They have far less runs and are rarely vacated. I know a guy who left our building years ago to follow his p/c route to a smaller building and has been a feeder cover there for quite a few years, yet had he stayed he would be a full-time feeder driver and very close to #1 in seniority.

11. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

I have a friend that I keep in touch with that has been a sleeper driver for many years. He told me this week that Louisville (who you make contact with on sleeper runs, at least down here) informed them that fueling and washing will no longer be paid for time. Is that everywhere?

12. Jones

There are pluses and minuses to both, but in general I agree with you.

13. Undercover Boss

Undercover Boss Who says we can’t use logic?

They have said that in California too.

14. Rick Ross

Rick Ross I'm into distribution!!

Most of the wash tunnels are closed so they solved that problem although we now have drivers popping hoods and standing on tires to clean windows. This takes longer and is unsafe.

The fueling would only come I to play on their longest leg where they are giving back 2 hours, unless they are subtracting time from their layover pay.

15. Feeder665

Feeder665 Go big or go home!

In my area the two closest centers to the main hub can bid on feeder runs from the hub. My center is farther away and we have only 7 runs. Our feeder jobs are bid in house and only to our drivers. So it’s a mix of both I guess. Depends on your distance from your hub.

16. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

How come when I swing a trailer into a spot on one move without the need of a pull up no one is ever around to see me ?

BS!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  17. Covemastah

Covemastah And the Reign Of Terror Continues!! Pats # 6 !!!

Bout time ,, what’s it been ,, two years !!
    :)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

I blame it on bad mirror placement or it would have happened sooner

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. brostalss

brostalss Active Member

I know the feeling.

When shifters are watching it seems I wouldn't be able to hit the floor if I fell on it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

...and the shifters aren't driving a long wheel base road tractor that bucks, bounds, hesitates and wasn't really designed for precision yard work.

Go figure...