Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Asking because I pulled a pup today from a CPU with a single axle trailer that had 3000 packages in it. Ranging from 1 pound to 70 pounds.

You aren't responsible for the ticket so don't stress over it. Even if the customer provides you with a weight you still wouldnt know how the weight is distributed. We run our 5th wheels all the way back which makes it easier to have a drive axle be over if you get a heavy trailer.

I've had two tickets (one set and one ZZZ), both times the issue was the with the drive axle on a single axle tractor. Both times the trailers pulled like a mother with our little, detuned engines. :)

Feeder665

Go big or go home!
In wine country we mostly only have single axle tractors. Max we can pull is a 45’ Z with 20 pallets of wine. Otherwise it’s overweight.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
20000 on single axle, greatest chance of overweight is pulling a 70% LC tandem axle slid all the way forward with a single axle tractor.

You actually decrease the weight on the tractor drive axles as you move the trailer tandems forward.

I've had 100% LC's that were 22000 lbs on the drives, but the trailer tandems were not fully forward.

Slid them up 4 notches and left at 19500 lbs on the drives.

Good evening, after 20 years in LA, I just got the call today to report to feeder class next Monday....::just want to know if there’s any tips on what to bring to class and what to expect over the 3 week class.....thanks Ben

Indecisi0n

Ok listen fatties I'm done . If you clearly see me with my harzards on and setup to swing out and park and you pull right up on me I'm hitting your :censored2: ! BACK THE :censored2: UP *.

I need a twix

Last edited by a moderator:

brostalss

Good evening, after 20 years in LA, I just got the call today to report to feeder class next Monday....::just want to know if there’s any tips on what to bring to class and what to expect over the 3 week class.....thanks Ben

What's Hub are you out of? I'm out of San Fernando.

They are gonna throw a lot of info at you. You'll be mentally tired after the first few days. The pre-trip and COLA will take time but you'll be doing it ALOT and it'll come to you. Get Package mentality out of your head. We have really good trainers. Welcome to the Club. You're gonna love it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
you can expect to have to learn a lot in a short period of time.

the training is actually very good. you'll do okay. use the search box. this question has been asked many times.

brostalss

you can expect to have to learn a lot in a short period of time.

the training is actually very good. you'll do okay. use the search box. this question has been asked many times.

Also they will teach you the basics. The rest you're gonna learn from fellow Feeder drivers.

DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be that guy who had to break down a set just to turn around in a cul-de-sac because he didn't ask for directions. (True story)

What's Hub are you out of? I'm out of San Fernando.

They are gonna throw a lot of info at you. You'll be mentally tired after the first few days. The pre-trip and COLA will take time but you'll be doing it ALOT and it'll come to you. Get Package mentality out of your head. We have really good trainers. Welcome to the Club. You're gonna love it.
I’m outta of Compton and after I pass class I’m going to Domicile San Fernando in hopes to one day be there permanently as I live in Valencia

brostalss

I’m outta of Compton and after I pass class I’m going to Domicile San Fernando in hopes to one day be there permanently as I live in Valencia

I'm in SCV as well. San Fernando is a high seniority Hub. Good Hub. A lot of retirements this year. You'll move up fast. I'll be picking up a load in Compton tonight. Good luck. Bring some good gloves to class. Try not to get your "Rookie Stripe" the first day.

Feeder665

Go big or go home!

As others have said, you have to unlearn package. It’s hard, it’ll stick with you...but try to push it aside.

Study the COLA and pre-trip while at home / hotel. I took many photos of the tractor. Engine, tires, 5th wheel, cab, etc. Then I set them up in my hotel room and went over them in order. Take a break between each time. Eat. Read the news. Do another pretrip.

COLA is pass or fail. Be sure to get it word for word.

When you’re in the cab with the instructor, drive. Just drive. Focus on the road and the feel of the truck. People will be mad at you for whatever reason. Let them be mad. Just drive.

The rest will be natural. It’s a basic course really, as others have said. You’ll learn more from your fellow feeder drivers. Feel free to ask anyone questions.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Oh and get used to drivers cutting you off with zero warning and zero room.

Semi.jpg