barnyard

KTM rider
Just as the nurse said the number someone dropped something. I said, "I think you said 17, but not sure because of the noise."
She said that was fine.

barnyard

KTM rider
WAD. Work as directed. Fill in on sick calls and vacation coverage. All over the spectrum.

If it is a large hub, I would imagine that the schedule is not the issue for newer guys, it is vacation picks.
I had heard a couple of years ago that a person needed at least 20 years to get a summer vacation.
This year, I could have had all 6 of mine during the summer, I didn't, but I did take 3 weeks in a row and I really, really, really like taking vacation in 2 week blocks.

Feeder665

Go big or go home!
If it is a large hub, I would imagine that the schedule is not the issue for newer guys, it is vacation picks.
I had heard a couple of years ago that a person needed at least 20 years to get a summer vacation.
This year, I could have had all 6 of mine during the summer, I didn't, but I did take 3 weeks in a row and I really, really, really like taking vacation in 2 week blocks.

Yeah I’m the bottoms relief, but I still got two weeks in July that I wanted. It was nice having two weeks off back to back. However, we only have 6 feeder jobs in our building

barnyard

KTM rider
However, we only have 6 feeder jobs in our building

We have 4 in my building and we all bid with package. Cover guys (like me) also bid vacations with package, but if we are needed to cover feeders, that week is scratched off. When I bid this year, I had 3 weeks in a row off, I still had 3 in a row, but it started a week later then I bid. My vacation was so awesome, I felt like I was rewarded for some spectacular thing that I did.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I took back-to-back weeks for the first time this year and will be doing it from now on. Two weeks off felt like a month!
I do it every year, three 2 week blocks. Sometimes I'll bid my sick week and make one of them a 3 week block. One week just isn't enough time to really relax.

roofus backster

my dog! her name is rousey...
We have 4 in my building and we all bid with package. Cover guys (like me) also bid vacations with package, but if we are needed to cover feeders, that week is scratched off. When I bid this year, I had 3 weeks in a row off, I still had 3 in a row, but it started a week later then I bid. My vacation was so awesome, I felt like I was rewarded for some spectacular thing that I did.
I'm mid 400's @ my hub, been there a month now, guy I know , who has been here 2 wks. Longer than me , just got a run bid next week, there pulling bout ruffly 10 runs off rail a week it seems!

brostalss

They still did the last time I went. It was a joke. Guy whispered a number and you just had to repeat it.
We went into this box almost like a 1960’s Space capsule. The headphones sucked. If you took a breath you couldn’t hear the tone. I would just push then button every few seconds.

A question for the package guys who made their way over to feeders. How long was your training? Recently went through and it was one week. I've heard in some areas you're given 2 weeks?

Last edited: