I have never run into a problem on the road with having a heavier kite. What problems would this cause on road that the driver would notice?
Rear pup trailer slapping oncoming traffic lol. Only some states follow the 20 percent law. Good rule of thumb is 6,000 lbs + heavier in the rear trailer you start noticing that back trailer waggin

If Ups is supposed to be a technology company then why haven’t they adopted a more detail system so we know more than percentages over the years? Especially when the competition is showing weights. All we get is seal controls and some hubs are too lazy to even write the percentages.
View attachment 259918

I agree. They have the weights they just don't want to have to rework trailers. I have been overweight many times with a single axel tractor. Freight drivers get scales we should too

Does all of the recent news with autonomous vehicles concern you guys? I dont mean you old farts with a few years to go, but the younger guys with 20-30 years left in the tank.

It may at a glance seem seem unrealistic that these trucks could be running entirely unmanned in the near future, but I bet if you asked a driver 30 years ago if he thought he would have a handheld computer in his hand instead of a clipboard he would think the same thing. Just curious what you guys think.

Indecisi0n

Does all of the recent news with autonomous vehicles concern you guys? I dont mean you old farts with a few years to go, but the younger guys with 20-30 years left in the tank.

It may at a glance seem seem unrealistic that these trucks could be running entirely unmanned in the near future, but I bet if you asked a driver 30 years ago if he thought he would have a handheld computer in his hand instead of a clipboard he would think the same thing. Just curious what you guys think.
It is a concern ....in 30 years .

Trash Panda

I think trucking forums in general beat this dead horse. No need to do it here.

As for seeing it in the future? Possible.... for a long term? Probably not. The roads already beat the hell out of new trucks to where they start malfunctioning after a year.

Companies are always trying to save money, hence putting off repairs. Think they'll really keep these new toys in top shape? Lmao

Some of the trial drivers have already been killed in these tests. Just how many lawsuits will get generated once the general public gets ahold of these? They cant predict crappy 4wheeler habits like a human driver.

Will it lane change into motorcycles? Catch motorists blowing by the sensors doing 100mph plus? The lawsuits will bury this idea, and hopefully it'll turn into a dead topic.

Only reason the media makes these articles is to fish for whale investors to support the project.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

As for seeing it in the future? Possible.... for a long term? Probably not. The roads already beat the hell out of new trucks to where they start malfunctioning after a year.

Companies are always trying to save money, hence putting off repairs. Think they'll really keep these new toys in top shape? Lmao

Some of the trial drivers have already been killed in these tests. Just how many lawsuits will get generated once the general public gets ahold of these? They cant predict crappy 4wheeler habits like a human driver.

Will it lane change into motorcycles? Catch motorists blowing by the sensors doing 100mph plus? The lawsuits will bury this idea, and hopefully it'll turn into a dead topic.

Only reason the media makes these articles is to fish for whale investors to support the project.
It's attitudes like yours that will ensure no one does anything about trucking jobs being lost.

Automation is coming to the trucking industry, need to face that fact. We need to push the union to get ahead of this with strong contractual language.

They proposed it during negotiations and P*'d out like they did on so many other things.

Hadjabear

2 things,

1. The rail which runs on a damn track still has a conductor, when that become automated then maybe I'll worry.

2. If I ever lose my job to an self driving truck I'll just become a highway bandit. Slow a truck down in the middle of nowhere smash and grab.

Trash Panda

It's attitudes like yours that will ensure no one does anything about trucking jobs being lost.

Automation is coming to the trucking industry, need to face that fact. We need to push the union to get ahead of this with strong contractual language.

They proposed it during negotiations and P*'d out like they did on so many other things.
Quick to point the finger over one opinion? If you look at it objectively all I said was i hope it backfires before it takes sail.

I watched the steel workers roll over and bow gracefully to let the company implement a thing called semi autonomous work groups. Basically eliminating management positions to pay an hourly union member an extra dollar an hour to be a hall monitor ‘leadman.’

All that money they supposedly saved trying to be lean and mean ended up being pissed away on other wasteful projects. 5 years later the company had already split into two, and now the spinoff company is trying to be bought out.

Sure they may get the automated trucks in some markets but time will tell how viable they really are. Rally the troops all you want to get that strong contractual language you seek but most people don't have faith in the union. Feel free to change my mind.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Quick to point the finger over one opinion? If you look at it objectively all I said was i hope it backfires before it takes sail.

I watched the steel workers roll over and bow gracefully to let the company implement a thing called semi autonomous work groups. Basically eliminating management positions to pay an hourly union member an extra dollar an hour to be a hall monitor ‘leadman.’

All that money they supposedly saved trying to be lean and mean ended up being pissed away on other wasteful projects. 5 years later the company had already split into two, and now the spinoff company is trying to be bought out.

Sure they may get the automated trucks in some markets but time will tell how viable they really are. Rally the troops all you want to get that strong contractual language you seek but most people don't have faith in the union. Feel free to change my mind.
No way that the strongest labor union in the world would ever allow any of this to happen. Lol.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

That's a good point about the road beating the hell out of new tractors. Who's had a few transmission faults cause you to pull over and reset? Would the computer pull it's own relays and do a hard reboot? Mash the accelerator as the ACC detected a ghost vehicle? Brake as it ignored that hay hauler in front of you? Ignore the lane mitigation as you straddle the white line to avoid pot holes or debris? Choose which lane to stay in as the State DOT worker is on the left side of the roadway while his parked vehicle with flashing lights is on the right? So many things we do that a computer cannot. Perhaps it will go the way of commercial airlines, where the planes fly and land themselves to increase efficiency but a fully qualified and well paid crew is still there ready to take over when it matters. (another parallel is the current controversy where Boeing prevented pilots from full manual control causing crashes). We'll just have to learn to deal with the boredom during automatic mode.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
That's a good point about the road beating the hell out of new tractors. Who's had a few transmission faults cause you to pull over and reset? Would the computer pull it's own relays and do a hard reboot? Mash the accelerator as the ACC detected a ghost vehicle? Brake as it ignored that hay hauler in front of you? Ignore the lane mitigation as you straddle the white line to avoid pot holes or debris? Choose which lane to stay in as the State DOT worker is on the left side of the roadway while his parked vehicle with flashing lights is on the right? So many things we do that a computer cannot. Perhaps it will go the way of commercial airlines, where the planes fly and land themselves to increase efficiency but a fully qualified and well paid crew is still there ready to take over when it matters. (another parallel is the current controversy where Boeing prevented pilots from full manual control causing crashes). We'll just have to learn to deal with the boredom during automatic mode.
It's called platooning.
The lead trailer has a driver that can adjust to those conditions and the semi autonomous vehicles in his caravan 'learn'.

Tesla advertised this as a feature of it's semi. UPS has purchased a few.