Indecisi0n

A question for the package guys who made their way over to feeders. How long was your training? Recently went through and it was one week. I've heard in some areas you're given 2 weeks?
Two weeks here but you really start to learn when your on your own . The only good thing about the two weeks was my trainer showed me a lot of hub locations .

ManInBrown

A question for the package guys who made their way over to feeders. How long was your training? Recently went through and it was one week. I've heard in some areas you're given 2 weeks?
One week at school here done by an outside company and you have to do it on vacation because its 8 hours a days for 5 days. Then once we get to feeders here, its 10 working days training.

Ive heard in some places you get called to feeders and then after one week you go for your CDL license. Thankfully it is not done that way here, and the training is done by an outside company. Nobody would be trained properly here, because the supervisors here hate package drivers that come to feeders. They want all off the street hires that already know how to drive. And 4 years to make money.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Half day of paperwork, three days of training, half day at a place that does the CDL driving test.

Second week was a different run each day.... the "trainer" slept pretty much the whole time in the passenger seat.

Indecisi0n

Would you guys pull a "empty set" where the rear has just bags and the front one is empty .I know the weighted one should always be in the front wasn't sure if you guys would consider a bag load a weighted load or not . Just curious .

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Would you guys pull a "empty set" where the rear has just bags and the front one is empty .I know the weighted one should always be in the front wasn't sure if you guys would consider a bag load a weighted load or not . Just curious .
Depends on how many bags I reckon.

Johney

Pretty sure if it's within 30% difference you're good. Something like that.

Johney

Here, once you get called from feeders you go to the DMV take tests and get your learners permit CDL which is good for 6 months. 2 weeks training, 1st week at our local hub and on road around town unpaid. 2 week (paid) here is called "production week" which is doing actual legs with your trainer. After you pass both weeks you return to the hub to be tested by one of the on-roads who is state certified to do CDL testing, pass you get a certificate to take to the DMV and get your license. Actually pretty easy. The only problem is sometimes there are gaps in between the first week and second week and testing. Sometimes months. Not always, but it happens.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I went thru 5 days training. 12 hours a day. 2.5 weekends. The last day of training (Saturday) was your qualifying drive. It was less than an hour, if I remember. The training was on your own dime, and I got my CDL before I went to the school. It was a joke. The driving part, I drove a 12 passeenger dodge van. I guess it qualified as a commercial vehicle, at least back then.

"In the event that the gross weight of the trailers vary by more than 20 percent, they shall be coupled according to their gross weights with the heavier trailer forward.

Last edited:

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
1 week unpaid training here with the CDL test on the last day. If you pass that, you get your CDL. Second week is paid with a trainer where you go to different hubs/centers but mostly rail yards. Pass that, and congrats, you’re in feeders and you’re on your own.

over9five

Staff member
"In the event that the gross weight of the trailers vary by more than 20 percent, they shall be coupled according to their gross weights with the heavier trailer forward.
Yeah, that's all cool an all, but in all the yards I've been in you get a percentage, not a weight.
25% load of paper will weigh more than a 90% load of pillows.
If it's a problem on road, pull over and swap them.

Indecisi0n

Yeah, that's all cool an all, but in all the yards I've been in you get a percentage, not a weight.
I have never run into a problem on the road with having a heavier kite. What problems would this cause on road that the driver would notice?

Blackbeauty7123

If Ups is supposed to be a technology company then why haven’t they adopted a more detail system so we know more than percentages over the years? Especially when the competition is showing weights. All we get is seal controls and some hubs are too lazy to even write the percentages.
upload_2019-8-19_14-1-11.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-19_13-53-9.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-19_13-53-9.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 130

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
did this one time in the middle of snow storm in Hallelujah Junction on HWY395 and 70. The paperwork said maybe 90 and 60 but the 60 was pushing me and fish tailing. I did not want that :censored2:er pushing me down the hills in the ice and snow so went on breakdown and switched them around.

glad i did. my meet point was over 200 miles away on 2 lane hwy.