Ask a Feeder Driver, Feeder Driver FAQ

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 104Feeder, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

I've heard it's like that elsewhere. Funny thing is here is they all put in opt 3 for Monday.

2. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

It is pretty normal to sit at the exit for our building waiting for a break in traffic and the tractor shuts itself off because it idled too long.

3. brostalss

brostalss Well-Known Member

Pros and cons to just about every type of run.

4. Rick Ross

Rick Ross I'm into distribution!!

We have some Sunday-Thursday runs that are 4x10. Some have Monday or Tuesday off and the others are 4x10 swing runs with 5 drivers.

I'm surprised the 4x10 swing runs haven't made it to package by now.

5. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

Our 4/10 cover is Sun-Thurs with Tues/Weds off.

6. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

I'm holding out for a 3 day work week

7. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

Well here you go. Sleeper team for you. I'm sure the right driver is out there for you.

8. Indecisi0n

But I fart in my sleep..... A lot.

9. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Just make you you disclose that when you sign the sleeper team list.

10. Indecisi0n

Is there a check box for that on the bid sheet?

11. Yeet

Yeet Inbound, turnaround, go to town

Just rev the engine when it starts beeping at you, it’ll stop it from shutting down.

12. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

Also you can tap on the brake a couple times

13. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

Our tractors did not shut off while idling in traffic unless you set the brakes. has this changed?

14. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

I've heard that as long as the yellow button is pushed in you can run the heat/AC while you take a nap.

15. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

What happens in the sleeper stays in the sleeper.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

The Sterling and Internationals at our building did not beep when they shut down, they just shut down. I have not done a Friday night during summer tourist season in our 'new' tractors yet.

17. govols019

govols019 You smell that?

They both show a warning light on the dash before they shut down.

18. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

we used to rev up and set cruise so it would not shut down over a certain rpm but they changed the computer so that wouldn't work anymore. the whole idea was the save money on fuel , right??? and don't worry about the driver freezing to death or get fatigued from excess heat.

so then drivers would not pull the buttons when taking a nap and pull down the hand valve to keep engine going. that was kinda dangerous if your knee caught it and released it. they may have thwarted that also by now. I stopped sleeping over the steering wheel while the engine was running because would wake up and think the truck was moving and I'd be slamming on the brakes to stop , haha

then in winter i would bring an electric blanket that plugged into cigarette lighter to stay warm. that was hard also because it was TOO QUIET. I needed engine noise to fall asleep. eventually got used to it and was able to sleep.

19. 104Feeder

104Feeder Phoenix Feeder

As someone else stated it's called "caging" the brakes. The way to know is by doing the brake adjustment test. So you do your full UPS pre-trip where you have supplied air to the trailer and have the hand valve applied. You should be looking at the break shoes and drums closely, which requires you to get under the trailer. A caged brake will show a gap between the shoe and drum. There should be no gap with the brakes applied. A caged or out of adjustment brake also may show a light rust on the normally shiny brake drum because of lack of friction.
    Now, after completing the rest of the UPS pre-trip, release the handbrake and walk back to the trailer axles and inspect the brake shoes again. Now you should see a slight gap between the shoe and drum, no more than the width of a dime. Any more and they are out of adjustment or caged.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  20. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

Does the company supply us with a creeper so we can get under the trailers?

In all my years I've never known anyone who was issued a creeper.