Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Do you guys not purge the air tanks on trailers when pre tripping during really cold weather? I find that sometimes when you do that the valve get stuck.
I’ve noticed that trailers that have been pulled by older tractors that have bad air dryers are worse. Moisture freezes when you pull the cord. Sometimes the only way to fix a frozen valve is by taking it to the shop. Usually you can wiggle the valve by hand and get it to reseal. The shop has told me repeatedly to stop draining the tanks on pre trip when the temperature is really cold. I’d rather pull the cord and know that the brakes aren’t going to freeze because the trailer brake system is full of water. Thanks anyway!!!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I’ve noticed that trailers that have been pulled by older tractors that have bad air dryers are worse. Moisture freezes when you pull the cord. Sometimes the only way to fix a frozen valve is by taking it to the shop. Usually you can wiggle the valve by hand and get it to reseal. The shop has told me repeatedly to stop draining the tanks on pre trip when the temperature is really cold. I’d rather pull the cord and know that the brakes aren’t going to freeze because the trailer brake system is full of water. Thanks anyway!!!
we used to have to drain tanks daily and leave it open overnight before air dryers. they don't always work anyways. winters suck with all the extra problems ...air dryers , leaking glad hands . poring alcohol into the air lines.

one good thing was being able to leave engine on all night idling but they took that away also. we used to set the rpm high so it wouldnt shut down and they figured that out too. they told us to get those plug in warming blankets that worked as long as they didn't fall off you.

I liked listening to the engine before falling asleep. sometimes had nightmares about the truck running away from me and then I'd wake up slamming on the brakes , hahaha

trickpony1

What would you do if you suspect the cover guy is smoking in the tractor you use daily and you don't smoke?

Explain to him there are laws prohibiting smoking in a shared work area.
Then ask him if he is aware that "second hand" smoke is as dangerous as actually smoking the cigarette.