542thruNthru

I had a cover driver that would smoke in my package car. I didn't mind too much but... when the back started smelling like a ashtray and I was finding butts in the back we had a little talk.

Luckily that's all that was needed.

ManInBrown

We had a driver who used to leave whatever he had for lunch on the floorboard. His specialty was chicken bones. All the drivers had a little cubby holes that dispatch could put stuff into them (checks, nasty notes from your on road, etc) They were about 5" square. I'd leave his chicken bones in his cubby. He got the message.
That’s amazing that someone would do that. I practically detail the inside of the tractor when I am done every day. Because i hope the same is done for me. It’s disgusting enough having to share with someone else.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
That’s amazing that someone would do that. I practically detail the inside of the tractor when I am done every day. Because i hope the same is done for me. It’s disgusting enough having to share with someone else.
I would rarely LV on time because I had to clean the inside of tractor and wash it. the steering wheel was always filthy cause drivers would wear their gloves. They brought me into the office several times on this because LV ontime was so important.

I told them all they had to do was tell drivers to leave the tractor how they found it but they would never do that. they also wanted the drivers off the clock asap.
They always wanted their cake and eat it to and too many drivers gave in to them.

I always thought a clean tractor set the tone for a successful shift.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
This guy in particular wasn't assigned to the tractor I drove. He would just grab it sometimes before the guy I shared with would get to work. I suspect he left his trash inside because he knew he'd be off the clock before I came in, and I wouldn't figure out who it was. I Just check who signed off on the DVIR. DUH.

barnyard

KTM rider
Yea I'm not sure I want to throw him under the bus yet as he's fresh out of package.

One of our cover guys was (maybe still is) a smoker. The bid route holders all told him that there was no smoking in any of the tractors. He respects that. I am not sure that I could work in a tractor of a smoker.

barnyard

KTM rider
One of the guys in my building has a milk crate with cleaning supplies: glass cleaner, armour all and towels to wipe it down. I added that stuff to my stuff and used it in my rental during peak. It really is nice to drive a clean tractor all the time.

Mack37

You know it’s kind of funny, official USPS policy is no smoking in any Postal owned vehicle. We just got our first new tractors in fourteen years and as usual, the Postal Service went overboard with the odd Postal specifications. One thing every truck does have though is the additional smoking package which includes cup holder ashtray and cigarette lighter.

Kind of stupid but made me chuckle.

Wes patton

Since we don't have our own section I thought I would post this for anyone with Feeder questions.

What's our schedule like? What did it take to qualify? Why do we get so fat? How do we stay awake on the road? What does the Dispatcher do? What do the On-roads do? Why does the Company subcontract Feeder work? What is the pay like? What do mileage runs pay? What's a layover? What's a gladhand? What's a button hook? Why are you guys so slow on the road? What happens in high winds/snow/hard rain/if you hit a deer?

Any question is up for discussion. If you need specific information to your area be sure to post where that is as Feeder work rules vary quite a bit by location (and we are always arguing about the work rules).

If you're in Feeders, sound off. If you are in Feeder Management or Dispatch you are welcome too and lets have some respectful discussion.
I have been with ups 26 years 21 in feeder in Oregon.I need to find out how I can move to Dallas Fort Worth area for family reasons. I would quit and get rehired but I can not afford to go thru Progression again.If have to give up vacation and Seniority then I guess that’s what I would have to do but I just can’t afford to go through four years of progression Any kind a help on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

ManInBrown

I have been with ups 26 years 21 in feeder in Oregon.I need to find out how I can move to Dallas Fort Worth area for family reasons. I would quit and get rehired but I can not afford to go thru Progression again.If have to give up vacation and Seniority then I guess that’s what I would have to do but I just can’t afford to go through four years of progression Any kind a help on the subject would be greatly appreciated!
You are SOL without quitting. Different local, different pension. You would have to give up everything. And hope they would hire you like you were off the street.

If it were that easy many people would leave where they are and move. I would be gone from where I live so fast all you would see was the skid marks from my car.

542thruNthru

The only way you could go from Oregon to TX is to quit and be rehired.

I'm sorry but TX isn't in the Western Region Supplmental so we can not transfer there.

ManInBrown

I would give my left nut to be in the Western Region. I’m allowed to transfer from one sheethole to another sheethole. You guys are allowed to move anywhere you want on the West Coast.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
how old are you? you will lose everything. I wonder if you could collect a pension, quit , and then get hired on in Dallas as a new hire? but then again your pension would be cut because of earnings unless you are 65.

it used to be you could get a hardship transfer ( that's what I did ) but if work is not following you , then you start at the bottom of seniority . I was able to keep all other benefits , i.e. pay , vacations earned etc due to my time with company. this was back in 1999 so perhaps these rules have changed.

The company makes it VERY difficult for transfers for the reasons ManInBrown lists. The Western Conference has a very strong pension. Not sure how Texas is.