Ask a Feeder Driver, Feeder Driver FAQ

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 104Feeder, Dec 11, 2012.

1. 104Feeder

104Feeder Phoenix Feeder

We have hired more than 100 feeder drivers since 2006 and maybe a little less than half of those are in feeders full time (the rest bump back and forth from Package). That's mostly due to Amazon. We make $.68/hr more than Package rate but in general get, and want, more hours than Package drivers especially in the summer.

2. pretender

pretender Active Member

It used to be, and still is to an extent, of being in the right place at the right time. I only was a package driver for six years before going into feeders, but it was a result of our building being converted to a hub. If you are in a center with fewer than ten feeder drivers, you are in for a long wait.

3. OPTION3

OPTION3 Well-Known Member

14 hrs in feeders is like 4 hrs in package

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  4. QKRSTKR

QKRSTKR Active Member

Why is it not worth it? By far worth it for me. Did I tell you there was no peak season this year for me? Dracula and cachsux were right, December in feeders is just another month in the year. Make 50 cents more an hr pulling doubles. A 9 or 10 hr day is about equivalent to how you feel when you have your air off.

As far as winter driving that's the only downside. First few good snows under my belt. Just go slow, and if in doubt go slower. Don't hit the brakes. If you plan ahead you can bring it all to a stop with touching the brakes. Beats trudging through the snow all day with wet feet.

5. MaceFremonti

MaceFremonti Active Member

Stopping without brakes? What type of magic is this? :rolleyes:

Sent using BrownCafe App

6. Taco

Taco Member

I had a rental truck once with a jake brake in it. When engaged and pulling a full load you can go from 30-0 in just a few hundred feet without touching the brakes.

7. anonymous6

anonymous6 Guest

try working graveyard for years, sleeping, and spending quality time with family and you'll see the downside for feeders. only on vacations.

studies have shown that truck drivers, especially graveyard shift workers, have a life expectancy of 15 years less than normal. we just lost another feeder driver who was retired for less than 18 months. seems to happen a lot.

8. happybob

happybob Feeders

That part timer puts in half the time I do, but gets to enjoy the same health benefits in my local. I work 60 hours a week as a full timer, he/she works 20. It was the rule when I started and doubt it will ever get changed.

9. MassWineGuy

MassWineGuy Well-Known Member

I don't have the training, energy, skill or inclination to be a feeder driver, but let me just say shout my respect and thanks to those who do. Sounds like it makes driving a brownie like pushing a cart in the supermarket.

10. MaceFremonti

I was in delivery for 22+ years and was lucky enough to make it into Feeders in May. Yesterday was the first time in seven months that I drove a package car. I had to move an old 800 (what I used to drive) so that I had enough room to squeeze a 53' box onto a door. Initially it looked like I had never backed a package car before! It was like I had forgotten how to wheel one. I hopped back in my tractor and put the 53' in without a second thought. I was laughing at myself the whole way home last night!

Sent using BrownCafe App

11. cachsux

cachsux Wah

And......?

I put in 60 hours this past week tugging around a handful of trailers. When I got home my personal PC guy was going down our road still humping. I worked way less than him. By theory I deserve less.

My general rule on UPS jobs is not to knock the ones you won't go do yourself.

12. QKRSTKR

QKRSTKR Active Member

Just going slow and downshifting properly. If you have to stand on them you are screwed. I don't have hills like you do.

Thanks for the optimism orange

13. MaceFremonti

With or without the clutch? :cool:

Sent using BrownCafe App

14. Feeders101

Feeders101 Member

It's called downshifting....

15. MaceFremonti

LOL...I know...it was a joke....what kind of strange magic...etc...etc....etc.....

Sent using BrownCafe App

16. upscat

upscat Member

you should. TSA requirement though TSA rarely audits the trailers. some use the yellow plastic ties they use on air trailers.

17. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

If you could post a link to that in their rules, I'd press the issue at work. I do like to see things done right.

Sent from my HTC PH39100

18. QKRSTKR

QKRSTKR Active Member

I got it.

I usually pop it out of gear with the clutch, bring rpms up and put in gear without clutch. Sterling likes it that way.

19. MaceFremonti

The majority of our Sterlings are really starting to show their age. Especially compared to the newer Macks and Kenworths. Some of the older guys still LOVE their Sterlings and take them over the newer equipment if they have the choice.

Sent using BrownCafe App

20. cachsux

cachsux Wah

We used to after 9/11 but I haven't heard anything about it in years. Besides, what's a plastic ziptie going to do to slow down a terrorist?