quad decade guy

I'm getting on my soapbox for a minute here. Had a good friend of mine (a current 40 year driver) who attended a function at the union hall. After some questions from some drivers the BA told those who attended that "We are just letting UPS do what they want. The company is adding a bunch of new jobs, and we don't want to jeopardize that." He mentioned they are (at least down here in my local) letting UPS use independents anytime they want. Letting them do whatever they want while changing things around to go to a 7 day delivery operation. Example: There are are 25+feeder jobs that go from Houtx-Texarkana. These jobs are mostly held by higher seniority drivers who don't want to drive sleeper. They are Mon-Fri runs. They are mileage. They have a minimal amount of of work involved. They are 10-11 hour runs. The company recently came out and said these jobs are all going to change to Tues-Sat runs. They will no longer be mileage, but will now be paid hourly. Changing these jobs from mileage to hourly will cost the drivers on those runs approximately $100.00/day, should they stay on those jobs. I retired at the beginning of the contract before the current one. Seems like I remember reading that once a job was mileage, the company would not be allowed to turn it into an hourly run. I can't find anything in writing that says that though. There are a lot of unhappy senior drivers at my old building. Seems like the union down here, at least, is giving the company a blank check to do whatever they want to keep more union dues and insurance money flowing into the union. I hope this isn't happening everywhere else as well. The times, they are a changin'.

I still don't understand why mileage jobs exist. Best I can figure, it might save the Company

30 min.? You could do the same thing if you allowed hourly to only take 30 min. meals. My 40 year

experience has been the Company does pretty much whatever they want eventually. Up to

and including layoff's or just cutting runs and have them reappear somewhere else or under

a different job number. My feeling about how much job opportunities and especially feeder

runs is pretty shocking compared to the last 15 years when we might get 1 to 2 new

seniority drivers who had been waiting years. I make way more now than I ever have and

we have 25 new positions posted. These are good times to be at UPS. And if you are willing,

you can add $50k a year to that $130k with a sleeper run. Think about that...In my building,

a $180k sleeper run goes begging to as little as 10 years seniority. I bitch a lot, but

find it difficult to say much right now.

quad decade guy

DoK = Depth of Knowledge.
It's just UPS safety acronyms. They'll give you a handout with all of them and yes, you have to memorize and regurgitate them verbatim. It's not hard, we all had to do it.

I didn't have to either. Makes sense as we did for pkg also. Why do it again?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I won't pull a trailer with the wheels all the way back like that.
I used to pull them like that, but I was just cognizant when making turns. You do see that the guy is driving down the road with his doors open, right? I was putting gas in my pickup and I couldn't get a better pic of him.

Johney

I used to pull them like that, but I was just cognizant when making turns. You do see that the guy is driving down the road with his doors open, right? I was putting gas in my pickup and I couldn't get a better pic of him.
Do I see the doors open? Yes, but how the hell do I know he's driving down the road? I thought he was just parked there.
You can't get past a weigh station here with the wheels like that on a single screw tractor.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Do I see the doors open? Yes, but how the hell do I know he's driving down the road?
IMG_0589.jpg

I only posted the 1st pic cause it showed his doors clearly. Here he is making a right at an intersection.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Do I see the doors open? Yes, but how the hell do I know he's driving down the road? I thought he was just parked there.
You can't get past a weigh station here with the wheels like that on a single screw tractor.
He’s got a twin screw. I agree though, I never drive it with the tandems all the way back, twin screw or no.

averageguy14

Anywhere else start cutting runs due to this pandemic? Newpa cut a good amount already. I also heard Carlisle shut down. Anyone else hear anything or is that just a rumor?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They cut our two mall runs this week, anyone could see that coming. If the bottom drops out next week I'm sure they'll put a few more on the chopping block.