Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Feeder jobs start all hours of the day. If tucking your kid in at night is big deal to you just take a job that start after 2200. You might even be home in time to have breakfast together.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Family life? At 34 you might have a chance to be near the top of seniority in about

30 years. The longer you wait the less that is likely. Longer you wait, the longer you stay

on nights. With vigorous manipulation of scheduling and bidding, you might see

your child in a normal setting i.e. soccer games, plays etc. For example: my wife quit

her job to stay home with our daughter when born till 1st grade. But then, my 15 years

of pkg. pretty much made me miss most of my daughter growing up being that I

usually got home around 8-9pm. Pick your poison. Some people skip through

working nights with nary a problem. Some get divorced, fat or die early. The problem

is once you go feeder, you can never go back-at least here. Working nights is a

state of mind attitude.
My wife has been a stay at home mom since my daughter was born and she just turned 2. So she has another 2 yrs or so before the wife goes to work or even thinks about it. I don’t work long hours in package as I have enough seniority and the 9.5 list. I rarely do more then 4-5hrs of OT. Right now I see the little one every morning, I come home play with her, and I put her to bed 97% of the time which I love. The nights shift would ruin that. Plus I am worried how will I sleep with a 2yr old running around all day. Like you said pick my poison. But I am pretty content in package all things considered

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
A lot of guys at work say they actually have more time with their kids in feeders than they did in package. Just gotta plan the time a little differently. Your wife definitely needs to be on board though.
One of my friends tells me this exact thing, however his kid is in school so he can come home sleep and go pick them up from school. He says they go swimming, riding bikes, etc before he goes in at 6-7 at night. I think that wouldn’t be that easy with a 2yr old.

Poop Head

Judge me.
One of my friends tells me this exact thing, however his kid is in school so he can come home sleep and go pick them up from school. He says they go swimming, riding bikes, etc before he goes in at 6-7 at night. I think that wouldn’t be that easy with a 2yr old.
Go feeders. Buy cocaine. Forget all about that pesky family of yours

quad decade guy

My wife has been a stay at home mom since my daughter was born and she just turned 2. So she has another 2 yrs or so before the wife goes to work or even thinks about it. I don’t work long hours in package as I have enough seniority and the 9.5 list. I rarely do more then 4-5hrs of OT. Right now I see the little one every morning, I come home play with her, and I put her to bed 97% of the time which I love. The nights shift would ruin that. Plus I am worried how will I sleep with a 2yr old running around all day. Like you said pick my poison. But I am pretty content in package all things considered

Ok. Then, what's your question?

barnyard

KTM rider
I passed on 2 or 3 feeder school bids, waiting until my daughters were out of HS. I missed pretty much all of their evening activities, so I probably could have signed a bid as soon as they were in HS.

quad decade guy

I passed on 2 or 3 feeder school bids, waiting until my daughters were out of HS. I missed pretty much all of their evening activities, so I probably could have signed a bid as soon as they were in HS.

Depending on when you get off on Sat. you either go without sleep to do all the family stuff or

miss it. With the 7 day a week operations now, a rookie or maybe much higher, could be looking

at a Sat. or Sun.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I went into feeders the same year my first born came along. Wife and I discussed it. I never looked back. It worked out. Hell, I wasn't getting home from PC until 7-9 pm anyways. I actually saw my kids more in feeders. Had a 9pm start initially. Got home early morning. My wife worked. We had a babysitter in the neighborhood that was really flexible. I'd wake up, pick them up in the afternoon. Wife got home, had dinner, tucked the kids in and I left for work. It was my job to take them to Dr appointments, etc. during the day. No regrets. I passed on feeder school the first time. I should have jumped on it then. That's the only thing I'd change.

quad decade guy

I went into feeders the same year my first born came along. Wife and I discussed it. I never looked back. It worked out. Hell, I wasn't getting home from PC until 7-9 pm anyways. I actually saw my kids more in feeders. Had a 9pm start initially. Got home early morning. My wife worked. We had a babysitter in the neighborhood that was really flexible. I'd wake up, pick them up in the afternoon. Wife got home, had dinner, tucked the kids in and I left for work. It was my job to take them to Dr appointments, etc. during the day. No regrets. I passed on feeder school the first time. I should have jumped on it then. That's the only thing I'd change.

I admire your attitude and success. Bravo. However, it really didn't/doesn't

resemble a "normal life". You know 9-5 jobs for parents. Something I crave to this day.

I went sleepers because I literally got to see my wife about 1 hour a day and that

included/includes getting ready for work. I can drive "days" now and sleep "nights"

as awful as sleeping in a moving truck is. I actually feel better than working overnight

and trying to sleep during the day and flip flopping on the weekends. Feeders and

really UPS demands great sacrifice at almost any level or job. I believe so many divorce

because of these reasons. Lastly, either way we don't resemble a normal married couple

till the weekend. I never passed a feeder school. But it did take me 15 years to have

enough seniority.

21Savage

I helped a feeder route at a mall a month or so ago, no driving, just delivering to the mall all day, no other stops. Most fun day I've ever had. Those guys on that "route" are never coming off it.

ManInBrown

How was your guys family life working nights? Wife isn’t sure about being alone all night with a 2yr old. Trying to weigh my pros and cons. Thinking of maybe passing up the opportunity this time, but at the same time it’s my retirement plan so kinda going back and forth. Family is the most important to me right now and just couldn’t imagine not tucking the little one to bed every night etc. thoughts please?
You’re crazy if you don’t take it. I can’t tell you how many 25 year employees I work with , who told me they could have came to feeders 15 years ago but turned it down. Every single one says it’s the biggest mistake they ever made. Keep in mind it’s not one list here. Seniority resets so if you’re seniority doesn’t reset it’s not as bad.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I work 9pm to 630am
As long as your kids do not have special needs you will be fine.

Indecisi0n

91202521-2862903997121814-4961182999249944576-o.jpg

Upsbc251

How was your guys family life working nights? Wife isn’t sure about being alone all night with a 2yr old. Trying to weigh my pros and cons. Thinking of maybe passing up the opportunity this time, but at the same time it’s my retirement plan so kinda going back and forth. Family is the most important to me right now and just couldn’t imagine not tucking the little one to bed every night etc. thoughts please?
Let us know what you decide, I might be faced with the same decision soon myself.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Most of my career in feeders was graveyard. You'll find a way to spend enough time with kids. not too difficult. pros and cons on any shift.