Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Let us know what you decide, I might be faced with the same decision soon myself.
I told them today that I will pass. After having a sit down with the wife it just wasn’t going to work. Don’t need issues at home because of it. Once the little one starts school I’ll try again.

rod

Retired 22 years
I told them today that I will pass. After having a sit down with the wife it just wasn’t going to work. Don’t need issues at home because of it. Once the little one starts school I’ll try again.
Wives are the main reason most guys don't go into feeder. The funny thing is if the wives saw how much those overtime hogs bring home they would force their husbands to make the move.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Wives are the main reason most guys don't go into feeder. The funny thing is if the wives saw how much those overtime hogs bring home they would force their husbands to make the move.
It’s not all about money. My wife never cared or cares about money. We do fine with what I make in package. Hell we have people in package making over 120k a year, granted they’re work long ass hours and it’s not as easy as feeder but just saying if it was about money I can do 60hrs a week and make close to the same.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Preciate the reply. It's looking like I might be making the same decision.
Good luck man! I will definitely go back there one day. If anything it just makes me realize how much seniority I have so I will be next in line again. Just the timing is not good all things considered.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We've had a bunch of guys over the years sign the list and then dq themselves because their wives didn't want them to work nights for whatever reason.

rod

Retired 22 years
We've had a bunch of guys over the years sign the list and then dq themselves because their wives didn't want them to work nights for whatever reason.
On the other side of the coin I've seen a few gal drivers whos husbands have made them quit their drivers job because he is home at 5:00 pm every night from his cushy job and he can't make his own supper and don't want to take care of the kids while the wife is out delivering until 7-8 at night.

rod

Retired 22 years
That is fairly common- at least it used to be. The guy finally gets his dream job and the old ball and chain makes him quit.

ManInBrown

I’m not into the OT at all but it’s a fact you cannot make the money in package that you can make in feeders. You can max out every week in package and your body takes zero toll. Biggest obstacle in feeders is sleep. Your body would completely break down working hours like that in package and besides peak, those hours aren’t there.

You become friendly with dispatch in feeders and you let them know you love OT you can max out every week. Where I am they couldn't care less. It’s not that hard. Especially if you are working nights into mornings. All it takes is one extra leg of dropping an empty at a CPU. That 9.5-10 hour day turns into 12 real easy in feeders with no effort. Clearly not in the times we are in now, but when things are normal.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
The wear and tear on your body is far, far less in feeders than it is in PC. It extended my career. I do have bad knees now, but I got those from PC, not feeders. Yeah, you work nights initially. When I started, there was a little over 125 drivers in my feeder department, and I went to the bottom. When I retired, I was #18 or 19. Feeders is exploding right now in my old building. New people will climb the ladder quickly. The sleeper team drivers in my building probably average $140,000/yr. Not bad when your feet only hit the pavement 1 or 2 times a day. I could not have lasted 38 years in package. No way in hell.

Roadhouse

Howdy!

I just have a quick question. I hope to receive feedback. I have the opportunity be hired in off the street as a FT Feeder driver in Louisville, KY. I currently work at SAIA LTL freight in hopes one day joining UPS. I am supposed to start at the end of April. Is this a bad time to make the transition? Should I assume that I’ll get laid off with the virus still going around? I am aware that hours are never guaranteed when you first start. I’m just hoping I can still work 2-3 day’s a week even with this virus going around. I’m nervous about leaving a decent paying job with great hours just to turn around and be laid off.
Thanks for any and all replies!

Indecisi0n

Howdy!

I just have a quick question. I hope to receive feedback. I have the opportunity be hired in off the street as a FT Feeder driver in Louisville, KY. I currently work at SAIA LTL freight in hopes one day joining UPS. I am supposed to start at the end of April. Is this a bad time to make the transition? Should I assume that I’ll get laid off with the virus still going around? I am aware that hours are never guaranteed when you first start. I’m just hoping I can still work 2-3 day’s a week even with this virus going around. I’m nervous about leaving a decent paying job with great hours just to turn around and be laid off.
If you don't take that position off the street you'd be an idiot. Even if you got laid off it would be worth it in the long run.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Howdy!

Why you guys drive so slow?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Howdy!

Take the job, it's a no brainer. Volume is up right now, fyi. It's not the kind of volume the company really wants but someone's gotta move it.

Johney

Every SAIA driver I come in contact with is an *. If you have half the crap attitude I've come in contact with you're done here long before you even have a chance.

Last edited by a moderator: