ManInBrown

55 everywhere. I understand. However, driving 20 below the limit in normal conditions could (I imagine) for example, be considered stealing time. One could imagine....Given the "on time feeder network". Especially if it led to a load of late airs for example. I know of a person being accused of just such a thing.
Huh? How is driving 55 twenty miles under the speed limit. Not where I am. 65 is the max. And if they are trying to get that guy for stealing time, then I guarantee you hes up to other shenanigans as well. That’s why I told the new guy just do the right thing and you’ll be fine. You cannot be disciplined for Driving 55. I’d love to see them try it.

ManInBrown

It happened here. Driver drove 55 in a 65 (regularly). Got a warning letter.
End result was a letter from the Local president saying we had to drive at the speed limit (but not more!!).
What local? A local like Willow Grove where coyotes are in the dispatch office making themselves coffee with their feet up on a desk? Plenty and I mean plenty of drivers in my building drive 55, and I’ve never heard of one being spoken to. Sorry, I drive 55 because that’s the speed I feel safe.

Indecisi0n

It happened here. Driver drove 55 in a 65 (regularly). Got a warning letter.
End result was a letter from the Local president saying we had to drive at the speed limit (but not more!!).
That's a weak ass local if that was the outcome. Remember that's the speed maximum not minimum and condition dictate how fast you drive.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
What local? A local like Willow Grove where coyotes are in the dispatch office making themselves coffee with their feet up on a desk? Plenty and I mean plenty of drivers in my building drive 55, and I’ve never heard of one being spoken to. Sorry, I drive 55 because that’s the speed I feel safe.
That's true . But if drivers are milking it then somethings gotta give. We have lost runs also for this reason.

I drove triples and twin 45's at the 75mph speed limit between Reno and Salt lake City on layover runs. Ever been on that stretch? it's mostly straight , mostly flat , and in the middle of nowhere. 75 feels like 55 out there. we wish we could have gone 85-90.

We also have been talked to for going 25 in a 55 zone ( in a snowstorm ). we just laughed at them. been talked to for going 15 in a 55 in dense fog. been talked to for going 45 in torrential downpores.( probably too fast ) .

yes, we had some idiots in feeder management.

Siveriano

Im not milking nor are worried about numbers, Its just nice knowing that with 3 weeks in, they are already saying that you are doing a good job.
Just curious why would driver go over the speed limit when safety is #1 priority.

I do 55 where the max is 65, usually aim for 5 lower the limit 55 being the max.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Im not milking nor are worried about numbers, Its just nice knowing that with 3 weeks in, they are already saying that you are doing a good job.
Just curious why would driver go over the speed limit when safety is #1 priority.

I do 55 where the max is 65, usually aim for 5 lower the limit 55 being the max.
well i can see why they would talk to a driver for going 10 below limit if the conditions are excellent. but you can drive the speed you feel comfortable with. new drivers almost always drive slower until they gain more confidence.

good luck.

2Down2Many2Go

Again like @ManInBrown said why are you worried about if they say you're doing a good job lol, your'e driving that truck and you are tha boss. * what they think.

Last edited by a moderator:

over9five

Staff member
That's true . But if drivers are milking it then somethings gotta give. We have lost runs also for this reason.
We have also lost runs because of drivers running under the speed limit. If we can't get it there on time, they'll give it to someone who can.

Seriously, if you can't drive 65 in normal, good conditions because you don't feel safe, maybe Feeders isn't the place you should be.

quad decade guy

I drove triples and twin 45's at the 75mph speed limit between Reno and Salt lake City on layover runs. Ever been on that stretch? it's mostly straight , mostly flat , and in the middle of nowhere. 75 feels like 55 out there. we wish we could have gone 85-90.

We also have been talked to for going 25 in a 55 zone ( in a snowstorm ). we just laughed at them. been talked to for going 15 in a 55 in dense fog. been talked to for going 45 in torrential downpores.( probably too fast ) .

yes, we had some idiots in feeder management.

All of this talk changes when the weather is "bad"(including wind and everything else). I drive sleepers and we just got a brand spanking new power unit. It will barely do 70(limits up to 80 mph some places). And with all the adaptive cruise crap...it will fall all the way into the 50's if you don't constantly monitor it. This is very fatiguing. And stupid. Driving deliberately below the speed limit(for being purposefully obstinate) is stealing time. You get what you deserve. Yes, we have some idiots in feeders.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
All of this talk changes when the weather is "bad"(including wind and everything else). I drive sleepers and we just got a brand spanking new power unit. It will barely do 70(limits up to 80 mph some places). And with all the adaptive cruise crap...it will fall all the way into the 50's if you don't constantly monitor it. This is very fatiguing. And stupid. Driving deliberately below the speed limit(for being purposefully obstinate) is stealing time. You get what you deserve. Yes, we have some idiots in feeders.

Have you had a breakdown? I think every new Freightliner we've had in sleepers has been towed at least once. I've heard some guys are trying to keep their old tractors instead of getting a new one.

The ones I drove let you adjust the following distance and turn off the side signal warning, but it had to be redone after it was shut down.

quad decade guy

Have you had a breakdown? I think every new Freightliner we've had in sleepers has been towed at least once. I've heard some guys are trying to keep their old tractors instead of getting a new one.

The ones I drove let you adjust the following distance and turn off the side signal warning, but it had to be redone after it was shut down.
No breakdown yet...we got out the manual and started looking for "adjustments" on all the anti-collision crap. It looks to be possible but only while not driving as you've said. And while the new unit is very nice, the old rental had some features I already miss. It's annoying and dangerous as friend when the truck just tails off on speed. My old Mack was the fastest in the building @ 73 mph. It would hold it on cruise. And all the adaptive cruise....your eyes spend more time looking at it and fussing with it, trying to keep it quiet for your sleeping co-driver. I'll get a distance warning and I can barely see the vehicle in front of me. It's constant and fatiguing. STUPID. DANGEROUS. Would love to have a ride along with safety and I.E. to see what they have created and it's real world experience.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
No breakdown yet...we got out the manual and started looking for "adjustments" on all the anti-collision crap. It looks to be possible but only while not driving as you've said. And while the new unit is very nice, the old rental had some features I already miss. It's annoying and dangerous as friend when the truck just tails off on speed. My old Mack was the fastest in the building @ 73 mph. It would hold it on cruise. And all the adaptive cruise....your eyes spend more time looking at it and fussing with it, trying to keep it quiet for your sleeping co-driver. I'll get a distance warning and I can barely see the vehicle in front of me. It's constant and fatiguing. STUPID. DANGEROUS. Would love to have a ride along with safety and I.E. to see what they have created and it's real world experience.

You can adjust it while moving if it isn't locked out. I put the cruise to -0 and +4 which doesn't impact the adaptive cruise but stops it from coasting while under your set cruising speed.

You get used to the adaptive cruise after a few weeks. Don't freak out when it applies brakes for no reason, it will happen at some point.

Indecisi0n

We have also lost runs because of drivers running under the speed limit. If we can't get it there on time, they'll give it to someone who can.

Seriously, if you can't drive 65 in normal, good conditions because you don't feel safe, maybe Feeders isn't the place you should be.
A gater skin in the road is a lot easier to avoid at 55-57 then 65. Also consider our headlights only allow you to see a few feet in front of you.

quad decade guy

I wouldn't mess with the anti-collision stuff, that's just asking for trouble. Leave it how it is and learn to deal with it.
You run a sleeper? Ever run in traffic? Now when you tell me to increase my following distance....this thing wants a mile no bs. Come ride with me and "learn to deal with it". With all respect.