DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
What is the policy on alcohol? I’m a new driver having a hard time sleeping. I’ve tried everything and it seems wine is the best way to go to sleep. If they do a random drug test will I be in trouble for drinking wine 12 hours earlier?
No, but....
Dude. Not a good idea.
That will spiral into a bad habit.
Black out curtains. White noise. Fan.
Cut out all caffeine and sugar for at least a few hours before you need to sleep.

It gets easier with time, hang in there.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
No, but....
Dude. Not a good idea.
Cut out all caffeine and sugar for at least a few hours before you need to sleep.

Sound advice. I only drink on the weekend, never on a work night. I have a few buddies that used to have a few drinks to get to sleep and they got dependent on it. I use black out curtains and I have a box fan that I use for white noise. The first few weeks are tough but you get used to the sleep cycle.

SaladTosser

Kill me now
I worked 3 years at night for another full time job long ago. I never got used to the schedule. I didn’t mind the hours, it’s just that my body knows when it’s day time. I’ll try and ween off the alcohol

Last edited:

barnyard

KTM rider
This year my allergies were hella bad. On weeks I covered feeders, I did a double dose of sudafed and slept very well for 6 hours. When I do not have allergy issues, I take one sleep aid (usual adult dose is 2.) That usually allows me to get a solid 6 hours, sometimes 7-8. Blackout curtains in my bedroom, bathroom and the hallway that leads to the bathroom all help. I also wear earplugs. They have made a huge difference. I cannot hear the phone or the dogs with the plugs in.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Your body never fully adjusts to shift work, the most you can do is mitigate the worst effects. Some people do handle it better than others though, I know guys who took day runs that they didn't really like (metro/delivery) simply because they couldn't handle working nights.

But Scheer and other experts believe a significant part of the problem with shift work is physiological. On a fundamental level, being awake at odd or irregular hours fights with our biological rhythms. Shift work disrupts the circadian rhythm -- our internal body clock that is keyed to natural daylight and darkness.
Because circadian rhythm affects how the body functions, disrupting it can throw everything out of whack -- including our cardiovascular system, metabolism, digestion, immune system, and hormonal balance. That appears to have serious consequences.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Just another reminder about securing your loads before you hit the road, I walked out to my loads tonight and the hazmat crew was set up by my front box. They were cleaning up a big sheet of glass that fell out the door when someone opened up the back door

Sure enough, when I got up there, the straps were hanging down from the left side of the trailer, hanging down. Luckily, no one got hurt, but it could’ve been a disaster.

It still boggles my mind that so many drivers ignore the load bars and straps. It is the law, after all.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
No, but....
Dude. Not a good idea.

I'd add Melatonin but take LESS than the bottle says as too much can have the opposite effect. (my Costco bottle says 2 pills 20 min before bed but half a pill works better).

Don't eat at least 2-3 hours before bed and watch foods that affect you (spicy, heartburn, bloating etc).

Regular exercise a few hours before helps and if you're over 40 have your testosterone checked.

Watch OTC meds like Excederin as they may have caffeine.

IMO a lot of it is training your brain to shut down.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I'd add Melatonin but take LESS than the bottle says as too much can have the opposite effect. (my Costco bottle says 2 pills 20 min before bed but half a pill works better).

Don't eat at least 2-3 hours before bed and watch foods that affect you (spicy, heartburn, bloating etc).

Regular exercise a few hours before helps and if you're over 40 have your testosterone checked.

Watch OTC meds like Excederin as they may have caffeine.

IMO a lot of it is training your brain to shut down.

Melatonin never worked for me. It’d get me to sleep, but it always woke me up after a few hours. I take the sleep aid pills from Costco, because my doctor said they were safe to take everyday. They work good for me.

Indecisi0n

Another sleep too:
Best thing for sleep is having a routine. When I get home from work I shower and go right to bed. I do this every single night. My body knows the routine so after a shower I start to feel tired.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Is that a new update, or a new IVIS ? In my building on road sent out a message that come Monday everyone's password will reset, maybe has something to do with it.

It's a new IVIS made by Zebra (it still looks like a phone). They seem to have a much better connection but the screen is smaller and harder to read. They also have a scanner built in so I guess eventually we'll be scanning in equipment or delivering packages. :)

Last edited: