Just curious what your guys favorite tractors are in the current fleet?

At the hubs I go to it’s about a 50/50 split in terms of senior drivers who want the new automatic trucks and those who fight to stay in the seat of their 10 speeds.

I’ve had a 273 Mack since I finished training and other than previously being the perpetual spare tractor and being treated as such by everyone before me it’s not too bad. Looks like hell, but drives fine.

Briefly had a new KW and liked that, just drove a new Cascadia and not impressed. Very car like in my opinion; felt like I was driving a mini van.

I would really like to find my way out of these single axle tractors given the opportunity.
That's actually my favorite part about the cascadia. I feel like I'm driving my pickup, just cruises, has plenty of power for my pull. I don't like driving an auto, but if I have to, I like the new Freightliner diesel.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
That's actually my favorite part about the cascadia. I feel like I'm driving my pickup, just cruises, has plenty of power for my pull. I don't like driving an auto, but if I have to, I like the new Freightliner diesel.
Those new freights are nice. Still knocks you around going down bumpy roads but the twin screw cascadias are the nicest ride we have.

Last edited:

SaladTosser

Kill me now
I like the way the cascadia auto cruise control works, but the air actuated kingpin release is garbage.

The kw cruise control is ok but beeps non stop, also has no steering wheel controls. Some of them do not want to reverse unless you stomp on the pedal.

Yeet

I like the way the cascadia auto cruise control works, but the air actuated kingpin release is garbage.

The kw cruise control is ok but beeps non stop, also has no steering wheel controls. Some of them do not want to reverse unless you stomp on the pedal.
Kingpin release is nice when it works. When it goes out, it’s almost impossible to uncouple.

The lurch the KW’s do in reverse is my biggest gripe. A little on the throttle, nothing. A little more, nothing. A little mor... VRROOOOM!

govols019

You smell that?
Kingpin release is nice when it works. When it goes out, it’s almost impossible to uncouple.

The lurch the KW’s do in reverse is my biggest gripe. A little on the throttle, nothing. A little more, nothing. A little mor... VRROOOOM!

Finally got my KW to stop doing that....they put me a new transmission with new updated software in. Smooth as silk now.

I just wish my power steering worked as well as the Macks.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Looks like money to me. Hey whenever you boys pull those things off the train, can you make sure the container isn’t sitting on the corner pins? Oh, if you guys could also leave me at least a couple of feet out front so I can get under it would be nice too. Other than that, you guys are doing a great job.
Those guys are now 99% subcontractors
H&N I believe is the company Croxton uses exclusively. Trust me it :censored2:s is in the snow and in general with the close clearance. Half our job is spent riding the side of strings of train cars… Very annoying when chassis especially extend past the clearance line. Movement must be stopped to dismount and thus delaying the time it takes to cut the crossings clear.

Yeet

Those guys are now 99% subcontractors
H&N I believe is the company Croxton uses exclusively. Trust me it *s is in the snow and in general with the close clearance. Half our job is spent riding the side of strings of train cars… Very annoying when chassis especially extend past the clearance line. Movement must be stopped to dismount and thus delaying the time it takes to cut the crossings clear.
No, y’all do good work I just like busting your chops. You planning on coming back to brown?

Yeet

Finally got my KW to stop doing that....they put me a new transmission with new updated software in. Smooth as silk now.

I just wish my power steering worked as well as the Macks.
I’ve heard some of the other drivers that are assigned KW’s saying something about them fixing that issue. I thought it was a computer issue. Do they have to replace the entire transmission as well?

Unknown1234

So the package cars at my hub are getting the camera installed. My question to all your feeder drivers is. Do you think they’re coming to feeder?
Does anyone have them in their tractor already?

Last edited:

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
So the package cars at my hub are getting the camera installed. My question to all your feeder cdrivers is. Do you think they’re coming to feeder?
It is inevitable. Once they complete the rollout in package. It is only a matter of time

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
So the package cars at my hub are getting the camera installed. My question to all your feeder drivers is. Do you think they’re coming to feeder?
I'm pretty sure the collision mitigation system installed in our tractors already has the capability for recording outward facing video.

MisplacedRailWorker

We’ve had them for 2 decades on the railroad. One facing out the windshield of the engine and two inside the cab- for a dual view of the crews’ faces and behind you. Guys still do nasty :censored2: all the time. Ie piss with door open and go straight for the water cooler, because yeah, that’s a sink. Should be fireable IMO

MisplacedRailWorker

To clarify: one camera facing your face, the other recording the back of your head

And a third out the windshield
I’m pretty sure the face-facing camera is what they use to monitor out the back windows when we run long-hood forward.