HFolb23

I met a driver this week who is using a sleeper tractor as a regular home daily road job, I knew we were hard up on rentals this year but didn’t know it was that bad. Hell of a tractor to take meal in though.

Anyways it made me wonder, any guesses when we will start seeing brown sleeper team tractors? I know this is UPS we’re talking about, and that they love to hemorrhage money into any rental they can get, but you’d think at some point they’d start buying their own sleeper tractors if they’re going to keep adding sleeper jobs.

over9five

Staff member
I met a driver this week who is using a sleeper tractor as a regular home daily road job, I knew we were hard up on rentals this year but didn’t know it was that bad. Hell of a tractor to take meal in though.
We have a couple of those ready to go. Dont know if anyones used them for a day cab yet.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I was shifting 2 weeks ago and had to lift a trailer off the tires of a sleeper.

The driver dumped air, and gunned it under the trailer without checking height, got stuck pretty good haha.
Shoulda told him to start cranking that landing gear, then maybe next time he won't be in such a hurry.

quad decade guy

Anyways it made me wonder, any guesses when we will start seeing brown sleeper team tractors? I know this is UPS we’re talking about, and that they love to hemorrhage money into any rental they can get, but you’d think at some point they’d start buying their own sleeper tractors if they’re going to keep adding sleeper jobs.
Here and every other sleeper I've observed is a white Penske lease(rental)(whatever). The sleeper "network" is crewed by UPS drivers, outfitted by Penske(and maintained) and dispatched by CMG(supervised by UPS feeders). Why would this change?

I don't know...but I think the sleeper network is so fluid(unpredictable) that the easiest solution is the one in place. It puts the nearly whole burden on CMG/Penske. Especially the maintenance. See?

When we "broke down", it never involved UPS mechanics so therefore their work was uninterrupted. Matter of fact, we couldn't get any mechanics to work on our sleeper tractors. Even in a bind. Fuel and fluids only. Not even a wiper blade.

Cowboy Mac

Here and every other sleeper I've observed is a white Penske lease(rental)(whatever). The sleeper "network" is crewed by UPS drivers, outfitted by Penske(and maintained) and dispatched by CMG(supervised by UPS feeders). Why would this change?

I don't know...but I think the sleeper network is so fluid(unpredictable) that the easiest solution is the one in place. It puts the nearly whole burden on CMG/Penske. Especially the maintenance. See?

When we "broke down", it never involved UPS mechanics so therefore their work was uninterrupted. Matter of fact, we couldn't get any mechanics to work on our sleeper tractors. Even in a bind. Fuel and fluids only. Not even a wiper blade.
So you’re telling me all those white Freightliner Cascadia sleepers I see are really Penske rentals?

I saw that we have a few of these KW rentals on property now:

833E7107-AC79-4450-B692-9F1B7AFF43E7.jpeg

quad decade guy

So you’re telling me all those white Freightliner Cascadia sleepers I see are really Penske rentals?

View attachment 362225
You bet!. Absolutely. Penske is usually on there....

Ask any sleeper team person and they'll fill you in.

The most interaction with UPS mgt. is about vacation covering and getting your keys. Some other small stuff.

Again.....I suspect it is a ease of logistics.....add/subtract....not worrying about painting etc. And what to do with them when not needed....you wouldn't use them locally...right? Or even road jobs. Right?

It is really pretty efficient....a real change from dealing with UPS. The CMG and Penske folks actually care about getting you help and back on the road....not disinterested mgt or mechanics....see, CMG/Penske's jobs(contracts) are on the line. There ya go.

HFolb23

View attachment 362225
Is that an actual photo of the rentals you have? A KW T800 is ridiculously overkill for anything UPS moves, especially with those floatation steers. That’s a truck for moving heavy things off pavement, you know two things UPS doesn’t do lol. I’m also not surprised at all that they’d rent something so unnecessary.

One of the drivers that comes to the hub I go to has a rental Pete 567 with a wet kit and an 18 speed. He brings one pup in and takes one pup back. Tractor isn’t much shorter than the pup.

Is that an actual photo of the rentals you have? A KW T800 is ridiculously overkill for anything UPS moves, especially with those floatation steers. That’s a truck for moving heavy things off pavement, you know two things UPS doesn’t do lol. I’m also not surprised at all that they’d rent something so unnecessary.

One of the drivers that comes to the hub I go to has a rental Pete 567 with a wet kit and an 18 speed. He brings one pup in and takes one pup back. Tractor isn’t much shorter than the pup.
We can't get any more rentals here, and I guess it's a problem nationwide. There's a chance they just had to take whatever was returned. Trucking is a total mess right now.

robot

Has A Large Member
Yep short on rentals in my area as well. They sent a message through the ivis asking if we know anybody who would rent a tractor to them for peak.

quad decade guy

Our hub has 15-20 Penske sleeper units rented for peak. All used for local runs.
In a time long ago....far far away....getting a rental at peak was heaven. They had radios! Maybe even leather seats. A bench a real plus. Then, before portable IVIS's....could leave it running during meal with lovely heat...made for great naps. And omg....power windows. Auto inbound didn't exist and a phone call was required at every inbound(Hub) anyway.

These basic amenities were stark comparison to an old International with the window knobs missing, 2 million miles, and the heat made little difference......having to add 12 qts of oil at every start of the day. That heat by the way, made for long pretrips trying to remove frost....of which you were interrogated..."why were you late....what happened?".

Today, I do little more than add windshield washer fluid....oil now and then. Or sweep broken glass out of it thanks to a weekend rookie.

Cowboy Mac

That was not an actual photo but it’s the same model. The ones at our building have seriously heavy duty headache racks. One even has dual antennas for a CB radio. They look like they’re meant for hauling oversized loads.

AttackedHawk34

Does UPS make you get all your endorsements when you go to feeder school? I was wondering because I'm thinking of making the transition in the future. Also is there ex feeder drivers that went owner operator after doing some time with the company.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Does UPS make you get all your endorsements when you go to feeder school? I was wondering because I'm thinking of making the transition in the future. Also is there ex feeder drivers that went owner operator after doing some time with the company.
Slowdown #34 ain’t nobody goin o/o after making it as a ups feeder

AttackedHawk34

Ok so pretty much UPS is just where it's at. I'm a 5yr RPCD and peaked. I'm always looking at the possibilities to grow more. So far this job totally changed my life.

Ok so pretty much UPS is just where it's at. I'm a 5yr RPCD and peaked. I'm always looking at the possibilities to grow more. So far this job totally changed my life.
You only have to get doubles/triples

Typically, no reason to go o/o when you can make $120k+ and be home every day, with full benefit package and none of the business owner headache.