Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
Does anyone know when the new Harrisburg hub will be open? Saw a couple pictures of it, looks huge.
1st phase(no specifics on what a phase constitutes exactly) j believe it was June. 2nd phase around October and then full operation Spring 2023. They have been running system tests on the belts and stuff inside for about a month now i guess.
They have been sending supes to Carlisle to work for a week or two to get familiar with that style belt and sort system as it is the same as the new facility will be.
Rumors have been that they want to run upwards of 500 feeder drivers out of there. 50-70 team runs.

quad decade guy

1st phase(no specifics on what a phase constitutes exactly) j believe it was June. 2nd phase around October and then full operation Spring 2023. They have been running system tests on the belts and stuff inside for about a month now i guess.
They have been sending supes to Carlisle to work for a week or two to get familiar with that style belt and sort system as it is the same as the new facility will be.
Rumors have been that they want to run upwards of 500 feeder drivers out of there. 50-70 team runs.
New hires or pull from other hubs? If from existing...can be a hiring push. Just a bigger cluster friend. Like here.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
Off the street new hires. I don't know if Carlisle is doing some of the hiring ahead of time perhaps to supply transfers. They went from about 75 drivers to 150 in the last 16 months or so.
Carlisle got a MRA to $28/hr back around April or May to have a competitive starting wage with the surrounding outfits. Harrisburg, Middletown and Carlisle all bumped to $33.50/hr around beginning of October under another MRA. It's subject to corporate review Jan 1st whether it stays. But there's a good chance, as guys were being hired at $33.50. That's what all the advertising on billboards and internet hiring sites was stating, $33.50 FT starting rate. It does coincide with the peak rate and inside top rate though. Wait and see all we can do.

averageguy14

Off the street new hires. I don't know if Carlisle is doing some of the hiring ahead of time perhaps to supply transfers. They went from about 75 drivers to 150 in the last 16 months or so.
Carlisle got a MRA to $28/hr back around April or May to have a competitive starting wage with the surrounding outfits. Harrisburg, Middletown and Carlisle all bumped to $33.50/hr around beginning of October under another MRA. It's subject to corporate review Jan 1st whether it stays. But there's a good chance, as guys were being hired at $33.50. That's what all the advertising on billboards and internet hiring sites was stating, $33.50 FT starting rate. It does coincide with the peak rate and inside top rate though. Wait and see all we can do.
I know Newpa is doing the same thing as well with the wage. We’re trying to get 50 more guys I’m hearing by the end of this year although that could’ve changed. Currently around 315 full time drivers. I’m just wondering how many runs are gonna get cut from here and willow grove when Harrisburg does open.

quad decade guy

I know Newpa is doing the same thing as well with the wage. We’re trying to get 50 more guys I’m hearing by the end of this year although that could’ve changed. Currently around 315 full time drivers. I’m just wondering how many runs are gonna get cut from here and willow grove when Harrisburg does open.
They shut down our hub feeder dept and "moved" the jobs to two other "new" hubs. We got to follow the work. So, that can be good and also make life a lot harder. Now, hiring a couple hundred folks under us is nothing but spectacular for seniority. Personally, I didn't want to leave my old hub but the commute was a push but the seniority gains were well worth it.

HFolb23

I can’t even imagine working in a hub with 315 feeder drivers. I’m number 4 out of 6 in my center, I enjoy working with a small group.

quad decade guy

It's hard to listen to the drumbeats of contract wars......

Our Company is hiring! At competitive pay and super benefits....

Yet...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I can’t even imagine working in a hub with 315 feeder drivers. I’m number 4 out of 6 in my center, I enjoy working with a small group.
Agreed. Spent my time in feeders at an outlying center, our number of runs fluctuated from 18-22 and it was pretty nice. The one advantage you get at a hub is more choices for start times and such but that doesn't make up for the bs you have to deal with imo.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They shut down our hub feeder dept and "moved" the jobs to two other "new" hubs. We got to follow the work. So, that can be good and also make life a lot harder. Now, hiring a couple hundred folks under us is nothing but spectacular for seniority. Personally, I didn't want to leave my old hub but the commute was a push but the seniority gains were well worth it.
That should set you up really well seniority wise for the next 20 years… congratulations, you’re lucky to have that opportunity for sure….

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
As far as Newpa, I wouldn't think there's too much to worry about. That hub(along with the fact every LTL has a barn somewhere in that general area) is the gateway to the Midwest. That's where loads start getting consolidated to start heading towards more specific destinations and end points. LTL is no different. Willow Grove I don't know, I've been there a few times. It's a busy place. I'd think the guys at LANPA would be the ones really worried about when Middletown goes full operational.
There's been rumors for a good while of rolling Chambersburg and Gettysburg into the Carlisle building.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
It's hard to listen to the drumbeats of contract wars......

Our Company is hiring! At competitive pay and super benefits....

Yet...
Carlisle/Harrisburg/York and throw in Lancaster is a hyper-competitive area for trucking jobs. Our MRA to $28/hr was to mainly compete with YRC and ABF. I know Locals mean nothing to UPS but it's something that just on the surface, you're trying to trump 2 companies within your own local. And the union outfits all had to jump starting rates because of the non union companies. No exaggeration, you'd have to look harder for a driving job starting at less than 26-28 an hour than ones that do.
The only place in the country I've seen that is more trucking concentric is Laredo. Jobs are literally a dime a dozen here. I get what you are saying, but I'm hoping the factor if location and competition keeps working to our advantage.

quad decade guy

Agreed. Spent my time in feeders at an outlying center, our number of runs fluctuated from 18-22 and it was pretty nice. The one advantage you get at a hub is more choices for start times and such but that doesn't make up for the bs you have to deal with imo.
Fair enough....depending on where you are on seniority. If low and no new jobs coming...you are doomed to mediocrity. Remembering it took 5 years to just get seniority at my small hub.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don't understand your comment....I won't be there 20 more years.

So odd....and frankly inane statement.

But then you don't know me.....
Not true…you don’t know ME and I’m going to beat you out of this hell hole…but why am I trying to rationalize with you when you don’t know me…ok cinco decade guy..

Last edited: