ManInBrown

Who has to work more hours, feeders or package?

Any feeder drivers here from 639?
Where I am it’s not even close. In feeders if you want to work minimal to zero OT they don’t really care. There’s plenty of drivers that want to max out every day to pick up the slack. Someone like myself when I was in package even on the 9.5 I would end up having to work 46 or 47 per week because twice a week they would bury me, and the other 3 days were 9 hours. The thing about OT in feeders is from what I’ve observed how they operate is you can’t pick and choose. Dispatch knows what every driver wants. It doesn’t take long for them to figure out who the OT whores are and aren’t. You can’t want OT some days, and not want OT other days. They don’t like that and they’ll let you know. Someone like myself they know I have no interest in working OT. They don’t even bother asking me to pull an extra leg. I work 8.25-8.75 every day. If you’re someone that wants OT in feeders you’re gonna work. Going to be long days.

YourCO

You’re at the wrong company if
That’s the case
Not a lot of great options out there period unless you like being broke or are qualified to sit and stare at a computer all day. I'll take the union job, bc at least if enough of us decided we really wanted work life balance, we could have it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Not a lot of great options out there period unless you like being broke or are qualified to sit and stare at a computer all day. I'll take the union job, bc at least if enough of us decided we really wanted work life balance, we could have it.
Lol
Keep telling yourself that

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I'm not surprised of your indifference. Lots of folks just like you. I just finished annual training for HOS etc. It's pretty clear about 2nd jobs, volunteering etc. Very clear.

Say, why do we get ANNUAL training on that? Just for kicks?
Why do we have our entire day/week down to the second...recorded?

You missed the example about lying on a DOT form. Again not surprised. You play the odds. You gamble. Ok till you get caught. Shrug. Example: I'm a pilot. I get a DOT flight physical every year. I also get my DOT CDL physical...same form. See? If you get prescribed a certain disqualifying med and don't report it. They can take both licenses. Poof! Just like that.

Assuming you get paid legally, your SS# could easily be tied together(2nd job). Pretty stupid considering where data is today.

You are a part time statistician?
Do they teach criminality too?
Something like: "The odds of getting caught lying about HOS are 100:1.....those are good odds...go for it". "Be sure and put that extra income in your 401k....but wash it into cash first...." That way, less traceable".(Ch. 2).
Note (2)-Just pray you don't have a major accident/kill someone. This is critical. To staying out of jail. End note.
Shrug...eh?
Realists, yes there are a lot of us. Proud to call myself a Realist. Pragmatist fits too.

I'm glad you get annual training about HOS as it seems like maybe in a few more years you'll get it. We do not. What's hysterical about all of this is that some of our management purchase items from one side business I know of, and the HOS is not even an issue even though 'they' hit max hours every week.

Please throw up more unrelated examples to bolster your argument. I'll just stay on topic. DOT physicals have nothing to do with HOS. Losing a pilot's license is even rarer.

Speaking of mechanics, every mechanic here has a side job and some are very profitable. They have CDL's too and shuttle tractors to the dealer and more. None report non-UPS HOS.

You seem confused about who has access to IRS and Social Security information. (SPOILER ALERT: DOT does not. Neither does the NTSB.) Look up "pass-through corporation" while you are at it.

Let me help you out here:

For a Bachelor's Degree, a major is a primary focus of study and a minor is a secondary focus of study. For example, you could major in Business and minor in Spanish. Majors are typically chosen to complement a student’s career goal, and a minor may be chosen to enhance the major. Mine was Political Science/Statistics. Criminal Justice is a whole different field of study.

Odds are not calculated by making them up. The NTSB has every case on their website and you can read the ones investigated involving commercial motor vehicle fatalities, then divide that by the total number of commercial motor vehicle fatalities (use NHTSA data). I went back to 2016 to calculate the probability (probability is only valid on the day I calculated it with the data available at that time).

"The odds of getting caught lying about HOS are 100:1" as stated would mean that for every 100 events, the event being getting caught lying about HOS, you were not getting caught lying one time. The Oxford comma is your friend here. You're thinking of payout odds at a craps table (and this is why there are so many people working a craps table and almost as many watching the people working.)
The odds expressed earlier, the likelihood of having a fatal commercial vehicle accident investigated by the NTSB would be 1:500. (Or stated another way, for every event, the event being a commercial motor vehicle accident fatality is investigated by the NTSB, there are 500 commercial motor vehicle accident fatalities not investigated by the NTSB.) The correct term is "probability" but it's easier for the layperson to understand and relate to odds.

You cannot make direct deposits to your 401k, cash or otherwise, but you could pay off a loan in full if you had one.. You could increase your contributions, or divert an option week, neither of which would raise any red flags as to extra income.

Maybe you've heard of our Feeder driver killed here in 2019 in a double fatality. I did a FOIA request regarding his accident because I suspected the other driver was fatigued. They didn't even look at either driver's log. NTSB didn't come out either. DPS: Two dead after crash on US-93 near Wickenburg

I don't pray, but everyone has a sincere desire to avoid having a serious accident and/or killing someone. My HOS would be the least of my concerns. I have one of the best criminal defense attorneys in the State on retainer for any reason that could land me in jail. You keep not making extra money as an aircraft pilot or mechanic; I'll keep doing my thing, and we'll both sleep well. Quad Decade must not refer to your years of service or you wouldn't be worried about being fired for any reason.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Feeder Qualified list. Everyone starts out on the q list after training, you're still technically in delivery classification but work in feeders as needed. You keep your route in delivery but you bid your personal days and vacation weeks with feeders. Openings in the feeder department are filled from the q list in seniority order. You can stay on the q list forever if you want (some guys do), the only exception being if a position in feeder goes up for bid and no one wants it the junior driver on the q list will be forced into feeder classification to fill it. That's rare but I've seen it happen.
If you're on the q list you will probably spend at least half the year working in feeders and you will definitely be in feeders for peak. I was on the q list for 9 months when I started and I never went back to delivery.
Here you are called Back Up Feeder or as I like to say "Feeders loaned to Package". You cannot stay in that classification as our runs are bid every year and as you move up in Seniority you will have a run or be a Dispatch Driver.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Is it worth it to wait until you get some amount of seniority before you go to feeders? Do I have to bid back to package in our area if I don't like it?

I'm a work-life balance type of guy and I'm just trying to figure out what's best for my life as a young single guy, but also as one who's already been injured a couple times in package as a country driver.
Trying to make it to retirement mostly intact but also trying maximize my free time as much as I can until then, if that makes sense.
No, go as soon as you are able. Here we have a Feeder transfer list every year and lately a Secondary list. Drivers still in progression and part-timers have made it into Feeders. Imagine doing your friend/T progression in Feeders! Long time P/T lucked out because 1-year safe driving is normally required, but it's not worth sitting in part time, putting in half the pension contributions to get here.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Don’t argue with him…totally paranoid ….I’ve been here 30 years and been just fine not worrying about every gd thing that happens, some within my control, some not. Whatever… fear monger IMO
Imagine being able to make good money on the side flying or fixing planes but not doing it for fear that your driving skills are so substandard you'll have a major accident+fatality to trigger the kind of scrutiny he seems to desire. Everyone should have a side business after the 2017 tax giveaway. Not to make money (though hey, if it does great) but to generate startup costs and losses you can write off and reduce taxable income.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Jones why did I think you were out of Lawnside? You’re in the 639?
I used to think that about @Jones too. He ain’t mean enough to be outta LAWNJ!
I went to LAWNJ quite a bit, probably mentioned that somewhere along the line and said something about getting a cheesesteak at Tony Luke's, but yeah 639. And I'm nowhere near mean enough for Jersey, first time I went there I was scared to get out of the tractor. Tough yard..

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Anything else you can tell me about life as a 639 feeder driver? What building were you out of, if you don't mind? Feel free to message.
I was out of Dulles, and life as a 639 feeder driver sure beats life as a 639 delivery driver. If you got any specific questions about bidding, training, schedules, etc hit me up and I'll answer as best I can.

ManInBrown

I used to think that about @Jones too. He ain’t mean enough to be outta LAWNJ!
Shifters are miserable in that place. I pulled a pup up one time in the 700’s about three inches too far to the shifters liking who was sitting about 30 yards away. Came flying over, back that thing up. Got into a 15 minute argument with him telling him to chill out. LAWNJ nicest dispatch in NJ. Never an attitude from Bonnie. Nothing but nice every time I call them to grab an empty. They never try to just dump a leg on you like MEANJ. Those idiots will have you pulling rails all night like you work for them. They spot newbies on the screen a mile away. Names they’ve never seen.
I went to LAWNJ quite a bit, probably mentioned that somewhere along the line and said something about getting a cheesesteak at Tony Luke's, but yeah 639. And I'm nowhere near mean enough for Jersey, first time I went there I was scared to get out of the tractor. Tough yard..
🤣that place is a country club except for the shifters. Theyre grouchy AF

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Shifters are miserable in that place. I pulled a pup up one time in the 700’s about three inches too far to the shifters liking who was sitting about 30 yards away. Came flying over, back that thing up. Got into a 15 minute argument with him telling him to chill out. LAWNJ nicest dispatch in NJ. Never an attitude from Bonnie. Nothing but nice every time I call them to grab an empty.

🤣that place is a country club except for the shifters. Theyre grouchy AF
Almost always pulled an empty out of there, they really don't build many southbound loads. And yeah those shifters..