quad decade guy

One morning the plane was late due to a bird strike in Louisville, I slept for like 5 hours and then had to bobtail back to the building cuz I was out of hours.
One night the train was late....

300 feeder drivers sat there for 5 hours......

It was glorious.

Our instructions? "Stay there until you have enough time to RTB"....

Someone, somehow had a football.....

Thing was.....you could see the train just around the track......but it wasn't moving.

ManInBrown

Local ain’t for the faint of heart. You’re gonna work.
Not really. I’ve covered plenty of local. One empty 53 footer, 3 live CPU’s, takes 4-5 hours on a few I’ve done. Get back, meal, pull a rail, empty back, in bed sleeping an hour later. Prefer local now, when I first came to feeders I preferred Nights, just pulling preloads to buildings 100 yards off the highway. Hard to get lost. As you get more comfortable, I only want to work early. Tell me where the CPU is, ill find it. In the beginning no chance to have that attitude. Was terrified everywhere I went. Wore off in about 9-12 months. The only job I won’t do is shift. Hate it. I’d work a 10pm start, before I’d shift at 9:30am.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Not really. I’ve covered plenty of local. One empty 53 footer, 3 live CPU’s, takes 4-5 hours on a few I’ve done. Get back, meal, pull a rail, empty back, in bed sleeping an hour later. Prefer local now, when I first came to feeders I preferred Nights, just pulling preloads to buildings 100 yards off the highway. Hard to get lost. As you get more comfortable, I only want to work early. Tell me where the CPU is, ill find it. In the beginning no chance to have that attitude. Was terrified everywhere I went. Wore off in about 9-12 months. The only job I won’t do is shift. Hate it. I’d work a 10pm start, before I’d shift at 9:30am.
Depends on the day here but it’s usually pretty rapid fire. Load to the rail, one out. Load to another rail, one out. Go back and get another one. Load to a different rail, empty trailer out. Get back and now it’s CPU time so depending on which ones you get, maybe 2 or 3 drop and swaps. That’s a lot of crankin’. Then there are the days when you sit at the rail yard for 3 hours.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
So how is the new zebra IVIS? I think we are getting them soon
Smaller so harder to read. They seem to work faster clock in/out and have fewer connection issues although there still are some. Added bonus they come with a scanner that shines a bright red light that doubles as a flashlight and dispatch absolutely hates it if you shine it in their face every single time you go up there. Or so I’ve heard.

quad decade guy

Smaller so harder to read. They seem to work faster clock in/out and have fewer connection issues although there still are some. Added bonus they come with a scanner that shines a bright red light that doubles as a flashlight and dispatch absolutely hates it if you shine it in their face every single time you go up there. Or so I’ve heard.
Does it have 2 way comm enabled(cell phone that we can actually use) or 2 way text message that can actually be read easily(real time) by dispatch? How about navigation?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Depends on the day here but it’s usually pretty rapid fire. Load to the rail, one out. Load to another rail, one out. Go back and get another one. Load to a different rail, empty trailer out. Get back and now it’s CPU time so depending on which ones you get, maybe 2 or 3 drop and swaps. That’s a lot of crankin’. Then there are the days when you sit at the rail yard for 3 hours.
Does it have 2 way comm enabled(cell phone that we can actually use) or 2 way text message that can actually be read easily(real time) by dispatch? How about navigation?
Seriously??? You received a $50 basic bitch galaxy phone last time… you really think they are going to go all out on these?? You’ve been here 40 years, so where the hell have you been the last 40 years??

Johney

Seriously??? You received a $50 basic bitch galaxy phone last time… you really think they are going to go all out on these?? You’ve been here 40 years, so where the hell have you been the last 40 years??
Right. Less than 5% of the 300 p/c drivers in my old building would not use their cell phone for work and all of the 25 feeder drivers would use their phone for work. I'd bet that's pretty close nationwide so maybe cause he doesn't they'll change the whole system. He can hope I guess.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
No on all that.
Right. Less than 5% of the 300 p/c drivers in my old building would not use their cell phone for work and all of the 25 feeder drivers would use their phone for work. I'd bet that's pretty close nationwide so maybe cause he doesn't they'll change the whole system. He can hope I guess.
I’m guessing it’s not custom made for ups…I can’t see them spending big money on feeder technology but what do I know.

Johney

I’m guessing it’s not custom made for ups…I can’t see them spending big money on feeder technology.
I wouldn't think so. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they go to this handheld system strickly so the DOT could access our log/records without climbing into the tractor?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I wouldn't think so. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they go to this handheld system strickly so the DOT could access our log/records without climbing into the tractor?
That makes sense…some of these tractors are nasty af…probably was easier also with rental tractors