HFolb23

Any advice on cowboying the dollys? It’s a skill I want to learn but I’ve only had a few times where it’s been quite enough to practice without holding up yard traffic. Setting the snubber helped some but I’m sure there’s other tips here.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Any advice on cowboying the dollys? It’s a skill I want to learn but I’ve only had a few times where it’s been quite enough to practice without holding up yard traffic. Setting the snubber helped some but I’m sure there’s other tips here.
Get lined up and send it

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My last 10 years or so, I cowboy'd whenever I had the chance...Saved me from manhandling dollies at least. I don't know of any tips, tho. When you get the chance, just put in the practice time. It will eventually come to you just like backing a trailer did. I'd recommend getting out to look to make sure you don't have a high or low hook if you have any doubts.

Cowboy Mac

Don’t do it. You’ll end up forking the trailer.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Don’t. Not only is it unsafe but it’s a write up here if the wrong person sees you do it.

over9five

Staff member
I've never seen anyone particularly good at "cowboying".
I have seen men tie up the entire frikken yard as they go back and forth 70 times till they luck out and hit the pin. Runner gunners think it will save them time. Nope, it just screws up everyone elses night....
UPS training is not to cowboy. Take the time, and do it like you were trained.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I've never seen anyone particularly good at "cowboying".
I have seen men tie up the entire frikken yard as they go back and forth 70 times till they luck out and hit the pin. Runner gunners think it will save them time. Nope, it just screws up everyone elses night....
UPS training is not to cowboy. Take the time, and do it like you were trained.
So sayeth the Shepard , so sayeth the flock !

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
About 10 years before I retired, I was rolling a dolly to put it on my front box. Right before I got it to the hook, one of the tires hit a pebble, causing the dolly to pivot, pinning my thumb against the hook. It crushed my thumb, knocking the nail off and breaking my thumb in at least 7 places. My thumb healed up pretty well, and I was lucky a plastic surgeon was on duty at the ER. To this day, my thumb is a bit crooked, but I developed an aversion to handling dollies after that.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
About 10 years before I retired, I was rolling a dolly to put it on my front box. Right before I got it to the hook, one of the tires hit a pebble, causing the dolly to pivot, pinning my thumb against the hook. It crushed my thumb, knocking the nail off and breaking my thumb in at least 7 places. My thumb healed up pretty well, and I was lucky a plastic surgeon was on duty at the ER. To this day, my thumb is a bit crooked, but I developed an aversion to handling dollies after that.
That’s what the handles on the side of the dolly are for. Your hands shouldn’t be anywhere near the pintle hook and the dolly eye.

Trucker Clock

About 10 years before I retired, I was rolling a dolly to put it on my front box. Right before I got it to the hook, one of the tires hit a pebble, causing the dolly to pivot, pinning my thumb against the hook. It crushed my thumb, knocking the nail off and breaking my thumb in at least 7 places.

How can your thumb be crushed against the hook if you were moving the dolly using the handles?

My thumb healed up pretty well, and I was lucky a plastic surgeon was on duty at the ER.

Glad to hear it.

To this day, my thumb is a bit crooked, but I developed an aversion to handling dollies after that.

So, you started ignoring the methods, moving the dolly the way you are instructed to, and did it your own way. Not very good advice to give to new people.

Yes, times have changed. You now get progressive discipline for failure to follow methods. Back in the day, yes, they looked the other way. Not anymore.