HFolb23

Wow that got intense.

Just to clarify, even if I was a cowboying master I would never push the dolly under the tail without getting out to check clearance first. You need to get out to check to see if the doors down on the tail anyways. I saw someone fork a trailer last summer and I don’t want to ever have to make that phone call.

My interest in cowboying the dolly is really for the winter time. Moving that dolly on snow and ice isn’t a fun time. I’m hoping to get LCV certified soon and being able to bring the lead and dolly into the tandem lot and spot the dolly without having to drop the lead would be really nice.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Wow that got intense.

Just to clarify, even if I was a cowboying master I would never push the dolly under the tail without getting out to check clearance first. You need to get out to check to see if the doors down on the tail anyways. I saw someone fork a trailer last summer and I don’t want to ever have to make that phone call.

My interest in cowboying the dolly is really for the winter time. Moving that dolly on snow and ice isn’t a fun time. I’m hoping to get LCV certified soon and being able to bring the lead and dolly into the tandem lot and spot the dolly without having to drop the lead would be really nice.
It sure did get intense, LCV?

Last edited:

Trucker Clock

Wow that got intense.

I get it. But taking shortcuts, not doing it by the methods, doesn’t always end well.

You’re paid by the hour. Or you’re paid delay time hooking sets if you’re mileage.

Do it by the methods, drop the lead and use your tractor to spot the dolly.

The other alternative is that you will eventually be in the office getting a warning letter for failure to follow methods, or worse yet, terminated because something went wrong with you cowboying the dolly and I will have to try and get your job back.

Just trying to eliminate a step here.

The job is not complicated. Do it the way UPS wants you to do it and make a lot of money.

govols019

You smell that?
I've never seen anyone particularly good at "cowboying".
I have seen men tie up the entire frikken yard as they go back and forth 70 times till they luck out and hit the pin. Runner gunners think it will save them time. Nope, it just screws up everyone elses night....
UPS training is not to cowboy. Take the time, and do it like you were trained.
We used to have a guy that could cowboy a dolly between two 53' trailers....I hated him.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Definitely use the snubber. Practice when dropping your dolly at the dolly pile
No no no no no.

When dropping your dolly at the dolly pile you're supposed to drop it facing the wrong way, 20 feet in front of all the other dollies, so that no one can properly drop theirs off either.

The shifters will be grateful because if they couldn't clean up the dolly pile they wouldn't have anything to do and would be really bored.

Trucker Clock

No no no no no.

When dropping your dolly at the dolly pile you're supposed to drop it facing the wrong way, 20 feet in front of all the other dollies, so that no one can properly drop theirs off either.

The shifters will be grateful because if they couldn't clean up the dolly pile they wouldn't have anything to do and would be really bored.

And leave the chains laying on the ground or hooked backward on the bottom handle rung.

qdg2

Because people are too stupid/lazy/rushed to pop the worn ones out and put a new one in. Just go to the shop and they'll give you a bag of them, it's not rocket science.

Why do you think they're greased?
SMH.
Well.....being in the middle of nowhere can be a reason......

Not being authorized to perform maintenance on equipment is real. Say that "repair" kills someone.....no? You bet.

SMH.

If you think the company wouldn't fire you for such is naive.

How about changing hoses? It's not rocket science......

And.....if you play musical tractors.......gets old transferring stuff.......

By the way.....I was "trained to spit or rub some grease" on glad-hands to get you down the road.....yes, trained. Never, trained to do the repairs.......

over9five

Staff member
Geeeeezussss you're such a Karen .
I hope everyone has noticed the new charm we added:
FB_IMG_1660858401377.jpg

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Not being authorized to perform maintenance on equipment is real. Say that "repair" kills someone.....no? You bet.

SMH.

How about changing hoses? It's not rocket science......

And.....if you play musical tractors.......gets old transferring stuff.......

By the way.....I was "trained to spit or rub some grease" on glad-hands to get you down the road.....yes, trained. Never, trained to do the repairs.......
I bet the mechanics scatter like flies when they see you headed for the shop

HFolb23

If you grease a glad hand seal and then your glad hand pops off then your problem was more likely a bent or broken glad hand not a bad glad hand seal.

Greasing a glad hand seal is just to get you home in a pinch; it fixes the symptom not the problem. It also doesn’t increase any chance of the glad hand popping off because the seal itself serves no function in the connection of the two glad hands; it just makes a barrier to hold the air in the system.

govols019

You smell that?
I build 4-6 sets a night and I can't remember ever running up on grease on the gladhand grommet.

I wouldn't have ever even thought of doing something like that...I just spit on them if need be.

govols019

You smell that?

SMH.

Quad decade guy?