qdg2

If you grease a glad hand seal and then your glad hand pops off then your problem was more likely a bent or broken glad hand not a bad glad hand seal.

Greasing a glad hand seal is just to get you home in a pinch; it fixes the symptom not the problem. It also doesn’t increase any chance of the glad hand popping off because the seal itself serves no function in the connection of the two glad hands; it just makes a barrier to hold the air in the system.
Thanks....

qdg2

I build 4-6 sets a night and I can't remember ever running up on grease on the gladhand grommet.

I wouldn't have ever even thought of doing something like that...I just spit on them if need be.
We had a mechanic bitch and bitch about drivers spitting on them.....unsanitary. You should have seen his hands....

I run across glad-hands greased and even duct taped on.....many zip tied......this is ILLEGAL. Trooper sees that and will ticket.

trickpony1

True. Or moisture..... But they (mgt) don't want a tow or missed service.

I've waited 3 hours for a mobile mechanic.....flat etc.
You could have turned on your flashers and driven 45 MPH and saved a break down and service call.
How's your dividend check?

HFolb23

I run across glad-hands greased and even duct taped on.....many zip tied......this is ILLEGAL. Trooper sees that and will ticket.
Can you cite that? My good friends step dad is a trooper that works the scale van locally and he’s the one who told me about using zip ties over the glad hands as a failsafe and malice-deterrent.

Let me guess, a zip tie in the trailer plug is straight to jail without passing go or collecting $200?

Cowboy Mac

Why do you think those grommets are greased?
Because it is a band aid fix for an air leak. If you spit on them it seals just as good but if you notice it sticks when you unhook the glad hands. This is better than putting grease because grease makes them slippery and more likely to pop off going down the road.

qdg2

Because it is a band aid fix for an air leak. If you spit on them it seals just as good but if you notice it sticks when you unhook the glad hands. This is better than putting grease because grease makes them slippery and more likely to pop off going down the road.
Maybe.

Maybe not.

I've had one come off in 16 years. The old rail chassis pups. They were notorious. The glad-hands were right on the chassis rail.
Mine locked up and slid in the grassy median. Flat spotted the tires. A Trooper appeared as I surveyed the damage.....trailer came within a foot of a sign.....Trooper said "You were lucky" and he took off.

Mgt didn't say a word except leave the set at a safe place and come on back. They had it towed.

qdg2

Putting 5th wheel grease on the glad hands is just a dirt bag move.
It's also quite effective. I only apply grease if I have to. Have to.

I'd say putting 5th wheel grease on the landing gear handle or 5th wheel release handle is a dirt bag move just to be ornery...

qdg2

How long ya been a feeder driver...?

qdg2

Can you cite that? My good friends step dad is a trooper that works the scale van locally and he’s the one who told me about using zip ties over the glad hands as a failsafe and malice-deterrent.

Let me guess, a zip tie in the trailer plug is straight to jail without passing go or collecting $200?
Failsafe.....

You do know that the air lines are designed to break away at separation.

Say, that rigging of the light cord.....think it will pass a DOT inspection?

Say, if you get a ticket for any of this....is it legal? Can you cite why they would ticket you?

I'm not sure about the monopoly game reference.......is that where you get your information....?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider

He’s blowing smoke out of his ass. I have zip tied glad hands on more than one occasion. It only stops minor movements of the glad hand, it’s not going to stay on and rip the hose in half. The zip tie will break way before the hose does.

Cowboy Mac

Maybe.

Maybe not.

I've had one come off in 16 years. The old rail chassis pups. They were notorious. The glad-hands were right on the chassis rail.
Mine locked up and slid in the grassy median. Flat spotted the tires. A Trooper appeared as I surveyed the damage.....trailer came within a foot of a sign.....Trooper said "You were lucky" and he took off.

Mgt didn't say a word except leave the set at a safe place and come on back. They had it towed.
Thats one time too many. You get lucky until you don’t.

How long ya been a feeder driver...?
Not nearly as long as you, Quad decade guy. Sounds like you’re complacent in your old age.

HFolb23

You do know that the air lines are designed to break away at separation.

...is that where you get your information....?
I cited my source, and it’s the guy who you seem to fear the most.

If you have a separation of the vehicle combination do you really think the trooper is going to notice or care if there’s a zip tie on the glad hand? Or do you think he’s going to wonder why there’s a trailer dropped across the highway?

FWIW the topic came up when we were talking about the BLM riots. I was activated for the national guard and he had suggested putting the zip ties over the glad hands to deter people from trying to disable our trucks by popping the air lines, as well as serving as an extra layer of securement on our less than stellar northeast roads.

Again, cite your source on the light cord issue, because the trooper that rights your ticket has to cite what section of Vehicle and Traffic Law so if he can you should be able to as well?
He’s blowing smoke out of his ass. I have zip tied glad hands on more than one occasion. It only stops minor movements of the glad hand, it’s not going to stay on and rip the hose in half. The zip tie will break way before the hose does.
Exactly. The average zip tie has a tensile strength of less than 50lbs….I wonder why we use such heavy chains for the breakaway chains if zip ties are so strong?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I cited my source, and it’s the guy who you seem to fear the most.

If you have a separation of the vehicle combination do you really think the trooper is going to notice or care if there’s a zip tie on the glad hand? Or do you think he’s going to wonder why there’s a trailer dropped across the highway?

FWIW the topic came up when we were talking about the BLM riots. I was activated for the national guard and he had suggested putting the zip ties over the glad hands to deter people from trying to disable our trucks by popping the air lines, as well as serving as an extra layer of securement on our less than stellar northeast roads.

Again, cite your source on the light cord issue, because the trooper that rights your ticket has to cite what section of Vehicle and Traffic Law so if he can you should be able to as well?

Exactly. The average zip tie has a tensile strength of less than 50lbs….I wonder why we use such heavy chains for the breakaway chains if zip ties are so strong?
You don’t even have to cut them off when you disconnect. Just push up on the glad hand and they pop right off with little effort. This is just quad making a mountain out of a molehill to hear himself talk. I’ve driven through many weigh stations and agros and no one has said a damn thing about a zip tie.