Trucker Clock

Not being authorized to perform maintenance on equipment is real. Say that "repair" kills someone.....no? You bet.

You don't have to be authorized to change a leaking glad hand seal. It is not maintenance. That repair will not kill anyone. Pop the seal out and put a new one in. If it does not leak, you have done it correctly and you will have zero issues with it.

How about changing hoses? It's not rocket science......

A little different than changing a "washer."

By the way.....I was "trained to spit or rub some grease" on glad-hands to get you down the road.....yes, trained. Never, trained to do the repairs.......

Quit spitting and greasing. Change the damn seal.

I run across glad-hands greased and even duct taped on.....many zip tied......this is ILLEGAL. Trooper sees that and will ticket.

Wrong.

It's also quite effective. I only apply grease if I have to. Have to.

Quit applying grease. Change the damn seal.

You do know that the air lines are designed to break away at separation.

A zip tie will not prevent that from happening.

qdg2

You don't have to be authorized to change a leaking glad hand seal. It is not maintenance. That repair will not kill anyone. Pop the seal out and put a new one in. If it does not leak, you have done it correctly and you will have zero issues with it.

A little different than changing a "washer."

Quit spitting and greasing. Change the damn seal.

Wrong.

Quit applying grease. Change the damn seal.

A zip tie will not prevent that from happening.
Dear God......

If changing a part isn't maintenance....what is it? Exactly now.

Hey God, what if seals aren't available?

So God, what is the limit for "failsafe" devices? How about a c-clamp? Hose clamp etc.....the manufacturers don't design failsafe devices into the glad-hands.....why is that?

So God, can you get a citation for zipties and duct tape?.....yes, yes you can.

And Chief, someone mucks up that repair(improper seal replacement) and something happens.....and yes it does and could....can they call you......God Almighty for representation? To set them straight?

Say, is this going to be pages and pages of delivering your opinion?

Say, let's say someone wads a set up or whatever and it's discovered everything is zip tied and duct taped........someone is killed and it's discovered the driver did the "not repairs".....seal work etc.....

Last edited:

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Dear God......

So God, what is the limit for "failsafe" devices? How about a c-clamp? Hose clamp etc.....the manufacturers don't design failsafe devices into the glad-hands.....why is that?

And Chief, someone mucks up that repair(improper seal replacement) and something happens.....and yes it does and could....can they call you......God Almighty for representation? To set them straight?

Say, is this going to be pages and pages of delivering your opinion?

Say, let's say someone wads a set up or whatever and it's discovered everything is zip tied and duct taped........someone is killed and it's discovered the driver did the "not repairs".....seal work etc.....
Again, a zip tie is not going to hold the line on if you jackknife.

Secondly, let’s say for just a second (and this is a big stretch) that you screwed up replacing a grommet and it somehow caused an accident, how the hell are they going to be able to prove that you changed that grommet?

JonDoe

Secondly, let’s say for just a second (and this is a big stretch) that you screwed up replacing a grommet and it somehow caused an accident, how the hell are they going to be able to prove that you changed that grommet?
Right. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you put them in backwards isn't it pretty much impossible to connect the lines?

qdg2

Never said a zip tie would do anything....can get you a ticket.

Now, let's talk about integrity.......you gonna hang your hat on that......gonna tell the truth.......right?
Why, this smacks of dishonesty.

Now, tell us why there isn't a place for zip ties built into gladhands? Or perhaps pinning them? Tell us exactly.....please.

Tell us what you know(and this is a big stretch) about automotive....being a mechanic......I'm a certified aviation maintenance technician(A&P)(airframe and power plant).

qdg2

Right. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you put them in backwards isn't it pretty much impossible to connect the lines?
Well.....there are actually a couple of different kinds of seals.

Impossible? Really? Hardly.

So......you would be wrong as you put it.

Matter of fact......put them in wrong and it COULD be EASIER to connect them.....and have a worse leak.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Never said a zip tie would do anything....can get you a ticket.
Yes you did, and no it won’t.
Now, let's talk about integrity.......you gonna hang your hat on that......gonna tell the truth.......right?
Why, this smacks of dishonesty.
I won’t have to lie because I know how to properly replace a grommet because I’m not a complete dunce.
Now, tell us why there isn't a place for zip ties built into gladhands? Or perhaps pinning them? Tell us exactly.....please.
Because, like the one correct thing you’ve said, they are suppose to break away in case of an emergency and a zip tie is not going to prevent that from happening.

Tell us what you know(and this is a big stretch) about automotive....being a mechanic......I'm a certified aviation maintenance technician(A&P)(airframe and power plant).
Yeah, no the hell you aren’t. You can’t even drive without crying about it.

JonDoe

Well.....there are actually a couple of different kinds of seals.

Impossible? Really? Hardly.

So......you would be wrong as you put it.

Matter of fact......put them in wrong and it COULD be EASIER to connect them.....and have a worse leak.
First of all I wasn't asking you. I would never in a million years ask for your advice. Second.....you really have no idea what you're talking about. SMH. I really feel sorry for your team driver. I suspect they have to FORCE the lowest senior driver to team with you. Poor fella.

Trucker Clock

Dear God......

Why do have to bring religion into this?

You fixed an air leak with grease. Fixing an air leak with a new grommet is the same as fixing a leak with grease, only permanent and legal.

Then you are not coming prepared for your job.

Manufacturers do not design fail safes because a functioning glad hand does not need one. We are talking about glad hands that may be worn a little, with leaks, that should need replacing. We are talking about getting it to the next hub or center so that the proper "maintenance" can be performed.

Wrong again.

And Chief

You bullying me by calling me names?

There is no improper seal replacement. If you put the seal in wrong, it will leak. Try again. I know, this is over your head to replace a washer, so be it.

Let's say you wad up a set and admit that you had an air leak but put grease on it, an improper repair, and then killed someone.

Guess what's going to happen to you? You were grossly negligent by fixing an air leak with grease. I fixed mine the DOT approved way, with as new seal.

A truck driver is allowed to replace seals, and actually, per DOT regulations, is allowed to do more than just replace seals. He does not have to be a mechanic. If you are at a building, by all means go bother your mechanic with a 2 second fix. But, if you are on the road, replace the damn seal.

Your "unathorized" repair could kill someone.

Trucker Clock

How about changing hoses? It's not rocket science......

Guess what?

I blew a hose from the front box to the dolly. Called my shop. My mechanic, with full knowledge of DOT regulations and Company policy, asked me if I happened to have a crescent wrench with me. He wanted me to take the hose off the back box and replace the blown hose on the front box.

I would have done it if I had tools with me. I usually carry tools because I drive in bad weather in the dead of winter. If something happens and I can fix it, guess what, I fix it with full knowledge from the Company and my mechanic. This time I happen to be in a spare and did not have my little tool box with me.

You claim to be a certified aviation maintenance technician(A&P)(airframe and power plant). I think the Company and DOT would be OK with you changing a washer.

finaddict

Guess what?

I blew a hose from the front box to the dolly. Called my shop. My mechanic, with full knowledge of DOT regulations and Company policy, asked me if I happened to have a crescent wrench with me. He wanted me to take the hose off the back box and replace the blown hose on the front box.

I would have done it if I had tools with me. I usually carry tools because I drive in bad weather in the dead of winter. If something happens and I can fix it, guess what, I fix it with full knowledge from the Company and my mechanic. This time I happen to be in a spare and did not have my little tool box with me.

You claim to be a certified aviation maintenance technician(A&P)(airframe and power plant). I think the Company and DOT would be OK with you changing a washer.
I've done that exact fix and got a Nifty ball cap and thanks out of it. For those that remember the old box rail pups (started with a 6) they were notorious for throwing a glad hand off on a bumpy road. They got several wraps of electrical tape. Been thru inspection with them taped and no questions asked.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I've done that exact fix and got a Nifty ball cap and thanks out of it. For those that remember the old box rail pups (started with a 6) they were notorious for throwing a glad hand off on a bumpy road. They got several wraps of electrical tape. Been thru inspection with them taped and no questions asked.
I've had that happen (air lines jump off) on empty LCs, when the chassis has the connections in the same spot as those old SCs. I started wrapping them with clear package tape after that. (Seems to mainly be a problem with old tractors with steel leaf springs)

Last edited:

Trucker Clock

For those that remember the old box rail pups (started with a 6) they were notorious for throwing a glad hand off on a bumpy road.

They started putting spring loaded metal bars on those because of that problem.

You had to swing it out of the way to attach the glad hand. It would then swing back and prevent the glad hand from popping off.