104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
What isn't fair about full-time seniority trumping all? I can understand if the street driver makes his time before a part-timer gets his full time seniority, but if a package car driver comes back to feeders, he's earned his time. I have nothing against the guys off the street, but I get tired of hearing them complain about getting bumped when package car drivers come back to feeders. Bottom line: if they get bumped, it's because they don't have the time. The rules didn't change AFTER they got hired; they've been that way all along.

We don't have any off-the-street hires in Feeders here. We might of back in the day, but not now. I think the last off-the-street hire I saw in Package was around 2000-2002. I'd rather see those go away period unless for some reason there is no qualified part timer or transfer available.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
We don't have any off-the-street hires in Feeders here. We might of back in the day, but not now. I think the last off-the-street hire I saw in Package was around 2000-2002. I'd rather see those go away period unless for some reason there is no qualified part timer or transfer available.

Agreed. We don't have many off the street hires anymore.

What isn't fair about full-time seniority trumping all? I can understand if the street driver makes his time before a part-timer gets his full time seniority, but if a package car driver comes back to feeders, he's earned his time. I have nothing against the guys off the street, but I get tired of hearing them complain about getting bumped when package car drivers come back to feeders. Bottom line: if they get bumped, it's because they don't have the time. The rules didn't change AFTER they got hired; they've been that way all along.

Why full time? Breaking a sweat from day one working one's way up the ladder should trump all. Why should a pt with ten years be behind an off the street hire in FT?

Dracula

Why full time? Breaking a sweat from day one working one's way up the ladder should trump all. Why should a pt with ten years be behind an off the street hire in FT?

Because full-time has always been the dividing line.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
What can I buy as a present for a shifter? He is fast, and never gives me any excrement when I make unreasonable requests.
A gift card to the local coffee shop would be loved !! it is nice of you to even think of the shifter,we are usually to be labeled as NON productive personnel as told to my face by a manager one time !!

Dracula

A gift card to the local coffee shop would be loved !! it is nice of you to even think of the shifter,we are usually to be labeled as NON productive personnel as told to my face by a manager one time !!

So I would reward that manager with a week or two of two and three shifts an hour.

Butters243

I was hired off the street and have 7 years seniority. In Feeders, drivers with 15 years don't have annual bid jobs yet. I have always been on-call and I might get 2-3 weekly coverage jobs a year even during peak. I have worked every day this peak, but seniority guys under me have not. Expeditors/Brokers pick up loads every night, greivances lost, saying that work was previously forcasted. Guys have retired then their jobs cut saying the work was "absorbed into the system". A few drivers have gone to the pkg car. After peak I expect to be layed-off for the 5th year in a row. I usually bump one PT loader and I'm brought back around May. If we get a bad snowstorm, I will be pulled out to drive and I better be shaved and have a uniform. I keep looking for the light at the end of my tunnel. Welcome to Metro Detroit. I love my job, but I wish I worked more.

Dracula

I was hired off the street and have 7 years seniority. In Feeders, drivers with 15 years don't have annual bid jobs yet. I have always been on-call and I might get 2-3 weekly coverage jobs a year even during peak. I have worked every day this peak, but seniority guys under me have not. Expeditors/Brokers pick up loads every night, greivances lost, saying that work was previously forcasted. Guys have retired then their jobs cut saying the work was "absorbed into the system". A few drivers have gone to the pkg car. After peak I expect to be layed-off for the 5th year in a row. I usually bump one PT loader and I'm brought back around May. If we get a bad snowstorm, I will be pulled out to drive and I better be shaved and have a uniform. I keep looking for the light at the end of my tunnel. Welcome to Metro Detroit. I love my job, but I wish I worked more.

NO offense, but I can't imagine working for 7 years being on call the whole time. I would find a full-time trucking job with another company. We have had a few guys that have gotten fired for one reason or another, and almost all of them have hooked up with other CDL trucking companies with full-time work. I suppose UPS just isn't a company to work for unless you come from inside the building. I know that doesn't help you, or make you feel better, but that is the reality. Sorry that things are so bad in Detroit, it's not that way further south and west...a few of our lower guys go back to package car, but that doesn't last too long.

I wouldn't waste time at UPS when you might find another full-time job elsewhere.

over9five

Staff member
Yeah, I think I just said that.
Once again, it was a joke, brother.
Let me explain it to you:
You said to respond by reducing your moves per hour

I then insinuated that amount of moves would be speeding up for me. Haha

Not as funny when you have to spell it out...

S

serenity now

Once again, it was a joke, brother.
Let me explain it to you:
You said to respond by reducing your moves per hour

I then insinuated that amount of moves would be speeding up for me. Haha

Not as funny when you have to spell it out...

never is

Dracula

Did you all see this or maybe you've already heard about the proposal? UPS seeks to create integrated over-the-road network manned by drivers from several units, Teamster group says – DC Velocity

I don't quite understand how they would use package drivers in longer hauls.

They wouldn't. They're talking about using UPS freight and subcontractors to haul feeder work. If we let that happen, it would be like the levees failing during Katrina as far as our work goes. Ask any feeder driver about the subcontracting during peak...they'll tell you how much of our work goes to those guys.

They wouldn't make that mistake here. 50 shifters can lock this building pretty easy and not even be obvious about it.