Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
This IS the new contract, I posted it many times before the vote. With the promise to add sleeper runs the union opened contracting. I believe the language says they can be used as long as no seniority feeder drivers are laid off. Q list drivers do not have feeder seniority, only full-time seniority.

Have you read the contract and do you understand it?

Yes, they can use gypsies for loads that we do not currently move, until the satisfied number of feeder jobs are created, through the life of the contract.

You need to realize that we do not move these loads right now, the rail does.

So, what is the difference if the rail moves these, or if gypsies move these, temporarily?

Eventually, we will have these loads. But yes, they can use gypsies in the mean time, until we start moving these rail loads.

Johney

Have you read the contract and do you understand it?

Yes, they can use gypsies for loads that we do not currently move, until the satisfied number of feeder jobs are created, through the life of the contract.

You need to realize that we do not move these loads right now, the rail does.

So, what is the difference if the rail moves these, or if gypsies move these, temporarily?

Eventually, we will have these loads. But yes, they can use gypsies in the mean time, until we start moving these rail loads.
So why are laid off drivers not working yet we use gypsies?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

I think some of it for us was because in the past, loads from distant railyards would sometimes be too late for the train and come in through extra meet point runs. This would be a lot of work since some of these originated over 1,000 miles away and were always 500 plus mile days from our building. Now those loads are gone and the Gypsies are hauling them. I'm sure they were/are designated as rail loads.

We also used to have tons of extra loads we would pick up from other railyards on Sundays and Mondays...many of those have disappeared as well.

Hubs will still be running the same number of loads each night so I bet many of the sleeper teams bringing in loads for a sort will wait and take loads back out, which is what most already do at our hub. Those will be the good runs, many are mileage and those jobs will probably be offset by 4x10 schedules and CPU runs.

I did not see these 2,000 sleeper jobs as a win in the contract... I hope I'm wrong. We all know if the union and company fight over ambiguous language we will come out on the short end of that stick.

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

@Rick Ross explained it pretty well.

But, if the gypsies are moving loads that were not designated rail loads, loads that the rail could not move them for one reason or another, then the laid off drivers need to file on them.

I did not see these 2,000 sleeper jobs as a win in the contract...

It's a start.

Getting back some of these rail loads and adding union jobs is definitely not a loss...

WTFm8

I have a friend that I keep in touch with that has been a sleeper driver for many years. He told me this week that Louisville (who you make contact with on sleeper runs, at least down here) informed them that fueling and washing will no longer be paid for time. Is that everywhere?

I’d LOL and make a call to the DOL if they did that. Run the bish outta fuel and let em pay me till a service truck comes.

Indecisi0n

I’d LOL and make a call to the DOL if they did that. Run the bish outta fuel and let em pay me till a service truck comes.
I don't care about washing the tractor but I do however care about the windows . Let the tractor look like a huge turd but dirty windows are a safety issue and will be cleaned daily by me . Fueling is also a safety concern . If you get stuck in traffic or an accident and need to run the tractor for heat/AC and have low fuel that's an issue. So I will be fueling the tractor as needed and they will pay for it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
BEA85622-9227-4866-9375-B88F1EF7F258.jpeg

I thought you guys would get a kick out of this. This guy made an illegal left turn out of an industrial park, managed to barely squeeze through at the end of a turn lane curb, up over the curb on the side of the road. All he had to do was make a right turn, go down to the wide intersection and make a u-turn. Lol.

brostalss

We've had situations where UPS would fly the guy home, and the co-driver would do the rest of the job alone.

I drove with a guy who told me when he developed kidney stones while on sleeper. His partner called UPS and they got him a flight home.……………

With an 8 hour lay over in Phoenix.

His partner ended up driving the rest of the way back while he was laid up in berth.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Kidney stones are no joke. I've had about 25 of them over the years. I crushed my thumb at work, had broken bones, but no pain compared to those stones. Had a driver that was about 200 miles from our building who had a stone episode. He drove his set into a hospital parking lot, was admitted and stayed several days. Management had to send someone to get his loads.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My stones started when I was in package. Had about 2/year for about 10-12 years...Then, they stopped just as quickly as they started. Havent had one in about 10 years.