Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I use to laugh when you guys would complain about yard/fog use because it wouldn't happen all that much . I figure we all forget to turn them off here and there but lately it's been excessive . I guess that has to do with all the newer drivers and casuals . I bust their balls when I see them. Funny because when I do this they all say " I don't know how to turn them off" which my response is always "the same way your turned them on".
It would actually be the opposite way you turned them on.

Hope this helps

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Maybe these "complete idiots" want to be seen by the pkg car washers/spotters as they fly around the corner.

"make sure they see you"
How do we do that?
"use lights, horn and signals".

Lights are on....marker/parking lights so you can be seen by others.

Headlights in the yard just do the opposite, they make it harder for other people to see.

I agree with the fog lights being excessive but all other lights stay on for me including 4 ways.

Your headlights actually make it easier for other people to hit you, because it blinds them and makes it harder to see.

4 ways are used when backing. Are you backing through the yard?

It would actually be the opposite way you turned them on.

That's pretty funny, actually.

Poop Head

Judge me.
eadlights in the yard just do the opposite, they make it harder for other people to see.
Headlights on, at night, in the yard, make it possible for PC drivers to see you coming, around a blind corner, against the regular flow of traffic, and you don't use your horn, and you're speeding.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
4 ways are used when backing. Are you backing through the yard?

Different in different areas. My hub has 4 ways always on this is taught in feeder school and enforced when they do safety audits.

I've seen new Yardbirds with the construction type flashing lights on a few yards.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Different in different areas. My hub has 4 ways always on this is taught in feeder school and enforced when they do safety audits.

I've seen new Yardbirds with the construction type flashing lights on a few yards.
It's backing only here. Not too long ago they threatened to give warning letters to people driving around with their 4ways on.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It's backing only here. Not too long ago they threatened to give warning letters to people driving around with their 4ways on.

Same here.

The idea is that if you see someone ahead of you with 4 ways on, you know he is backing, so be careful.

If drivers use 4 ways in the yard all the time, you have no idea if the guy is driving forward, or backing, and you may have no idea what to do as you approach him, not knowing what he is doing.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Same here.

The idea is that if you see someone ahead of you with 4 ways on, you know he is backing, so be careful.

If drivers use 4 ways in the yard all the time, you have no idea if the guy is driving forward, or backing, and you may have no idea what to do as you approach him, not knowing what he is doing.

I believe this is where tapping the horn when backing comes into play...

What happens when they need the door and a driver pulls off the wall and does his pre-trip on the yard? Does everyone stop before driving by because his 4 ways are on?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I believe this is where tapping the horn when backing comes into play...

If you're 100 ft away you cannot hear the horn.

What happens when they need the door and a driver pulls off the wall and does his pre-trip on the yard? Does everyone stop before driving by because his 4 ways are on?

A little different. He is close to a door or the wall, not out in the middle of the yard where he may be driving forward or backing into a bay spot.

Where you are not everywhere.

I agree.

Different rules everywhere.

I just think it makes sense that 4 ways are used for backing, then they should only be used while backing.

Especially these new tractors with the LED lights. Those 4 ways are so bright and annoying at night that they are more of a distraction than a help while driving in the yard.

Last edited:

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
If you're 100 ft away you cannot hear the horn.

Which is why you are supposed to tap your horn more than once while backing.

A little different. He is close to a door or the wall, not out in the middle of the yard where he may be driving forward or backing into a bay spot.

Many times we have to pull trailers or sets off the wall and pre-trip on the yard. If they are slow to seal your lead the rear trailer might finish before you get your set built.

I see about 100 package cars all over the yard every morning with their flashers on. Are they all backing up? :)

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Many times we have to pull trailers or sets off the wall and pre-trip on the yard. If they are slow to seal your lead the rear trailer might finish before you get your set built.

And the difference there is that you're not moving. You guys have no idea if someone is driving, sitting still, or backing.

Which is why you are supposed to tap your horn more than once while backing.

Sometimes hard to hear a horn if you come behind a 53 foot trailer, and you definitely cannot see the tractors reverse lights. You guys just follow a 53 foot trailer with 4 ways all over the yard. At any point, he could stop and backup. You have clue, especially since there are horns blowing all over the yard with other people backing, and hard to tell if it's from the tractor 100 foot in front of you with a 53 foot trailer between him and you.

If we came up to a 53 foot trailer with 4 ways on, we don't get behind him because he is probably backing. If he is just sitting there pre-tripping, well, no harm no foul and we won't be stuck behind a trailer sitting still. Better safe than sorry.

I see about 100 package cars all over the yard every morning with their flashers on. Are they all backing up?

That's the idea. You have no clue what he is doing.

Here, we know what they are doing. Not a good idea to come up behind them because they are either backing, or sitting still pre-tripping. Either way, you don't want to be behind them.

Just my opinion, anyway.

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

Working in the yard : must have working headlights, flashers and 360 degree visibility. Although I do agree flashers should only be used to clearly indicate backing up since you can't always see the tractors reverse lights the methods are still the methods. This is why anytime i pull behind a waiting tractor to pass I assume he is backing up and go very slow and I'll use the horn.

Johney

I've only been doing this for 6 years or so, but I can tell if I'm following someone who is setting themselves up for a back while pulling a 53 or a pup. Flashers or not. It's pretty obvious.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Working in the yard : must have working headlights, flashers and 360 degree visibility. Although I do agree flashers should only be used to clearly indicate backing up since you can't always see the tractors reverse lights the methods are still the methods. This is why anytime i pull behind a waiting tractor to pass I assume he is backing up and go very slow and I'll use the horn.

Well, the DOK says when operating yard vehicles. I believe it refers to yard birds, tugs, irreg carts, not to tractors or package cars. They need some way of being seen in the yard.

Here, it also says "yard vehicles must be equipped with operable headlights, hazard lights, or reflective material in order to provide 360 degree visibility," meaning any one of the three.

The proof is that our irreg carts that are authorized to drive in the yard have only a headlight. No hazard lights or reflective material.

Like I said, just my opinion.

Here, the procedure is to use 4 ways only while backing and there is no procedure for using headlights while in the yard. I just find headlights blinding and annoying and 4 ways confusing if used all the time.

If it is different there, that's OK.

Indecisi0n

Well, the DOK says when operating yard vehicles. I believe it refers to yard birds, tugs, irreg carts, not to tractors or package cars. They need some way of being seen in the yard.

Here, it also says "yard vehicles must be equipped with operable headlights, hazard lights, or reflective material in order to provide 360 degree visibility," meaning any one of the three.

The proof is that our irreg carts that are authorized to drive in the yard have only a headlight. No hazard lights or reflective material.

Like I said, just my opinion.

Here, the procedure is to use 4 ways only while backing and there is no procedure for using headlights while in the yard. I just find headlights blinding and annoying and 4 ways confusing if used all the time.

If it is different there, that's OK.
Good point on the irreg cart and no flashers. I would assume its a if you have it then you must use it. This is UPS so who knows? We all know that UPS will just use those rules to blame a operator in the case of an accident anyway.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Good point on the irreg cart and no flashers. I would assume its a if you have it then you must use it. This is UPS so who knows? We all know that UPS will just use those rules to blame a operator in the case of an accident anyway.

It's UPS, remember.

They don't even know what they mean....