Express/Ground Drop Boxes

zapmail

No I have no pictures of documents or transcripts from email or handout but I heard today Ground packages will be accepted in Express drop boxes..it will be some state of the art super drop box..anyone have any additional info..

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No I have no pictures of documents or transcripts from email or handout but I heard today Ground packages will be accepted in Express drop boxes..it will be some state of the art super drop box..anyone have any additional info..

Yes, they will attach a green garbage can to the side of the existing drop box. This is where outbound Ground will go.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Sick of finding Ground packages in my Express dropbox. the public in general will never figure out the difference. Ground needs to either get their own or we could let their packages sit and rot for a few weeks.

HomeDelivery

But, but, but...

Didn't Dano said that customers know the different opcos?!?

i was delivering in a suburb today & a neighbor flagged me down to pickup an AC unit... It was Ground's, but since the customer was waiting for a full week, I just coded it as a Call Tag Pickup and be done with it <shrugs>

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I've done it too. Had a customer with a package waiting for over a month for a Ground pick up, called it in every other day. Finally, I felt sorry for the guy so I told him if it was still there that Friday, I would take it with me. If he wasn't such a nice guy, I would have told him to keep trying. Sad thing is, I told the Ground driver at the next stop about it and he said, "not my problem until dispatch tells me about it..."

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I got an on-call pup at a sporting goods store that I've del'd to maybe twice in my 5 yrs. on my route.
It said it was one piece that weighed 16 lbs. I knew it was fishy but, showed up and the mgr. says "Oh, are you here to pick up my light bulbs"?
I say "Yep, I guess so".

I knew immediately that it was gonna be a red ground label. It was a box full of old florescent tubes.
Did I balk? No, just take it and move on.

If I ever get a pup there again, I'll have disp. call to verify that it's an Express pup.
Oh wait, they're merging Express and Ground pkgs. at D-boxes so maybe I should go get that tattoo I've wanted. :funny:

zapmail

Sometimes I'll take Ground sometimes not. Depends on my mood. Depends if it's a cute girl asking. Depends if it's valuable, I tell the customer I have no way to scan it and their will be no proof I ever had it till it gets scanned in at the station or Kinkos. If it's valuable no thanks you're on your own. If it's old printer cartridges and I'm in the mood sure. If my hands are full of Express at a drop box and I'm behind, sorry to say it very well might hang out in there till I can grab it without making an extra trip. Sorry, I only give what I get-and that ain't much these days! Thanks Fred. Nice job creating a malcontent.

SmithBarney

That's why the "express" portion of the stickers on the box is removable..(thought this was coming) so who is going to pick
them up? will Ground have access to the boxes? or will it just be Express bringing it back to the station like normal...(no big change here)

As for "ground" oncalls, we were given a directive not to touch ground because some overzealous contractors sued FedEx because Express
was taking revenue from them...(but I have been known to take ground that has been sitting a long time) And Yes it is the ground dispatch system at fault, I can't imagine that a ground driver could knowingly not pick something up for days/weeks on end.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I got an on-call pup at a sporting goods store that I've del'd to maybe twice in my 5 yrs. on my route.
It said it was one piece that weighed 16 lbs. I knew it was fishy but, showed up and the mgr. says "Oh, are you here to pick up my light bulbs"?
I say "Yep, I guess so".

I knew immediately that it was gonna be a red ground label. It was a box full of old florescent tubes.
Did I balk? No, just take it and move on.

If I ever get a pup there again, I'll have disp. call to verify that it's an Express pup.
Oh wait, they're merging Express and Ground pkgs. at D-boxes so maybe I should go get that tattoo I've wanted. :funny:

I worked with a guy at the hub. He was there for about a year when he was moved up to teamlead, so he decided that he was going to be management, good for him, and to celebrate the decision he got the FedEx logo tattooed on his calf. A few weeks later he got fired for something stupid. Moral of the story, don't get someone that isn't blood's name tattooed on you. Oh yeah, FedEx sucks.

HomeDelivery

You're my hero.

sorry buddy, i'm HD ~ a sub-division of Ground, so i know that the barcode can be scanned & the proper code status can be applied... sometimes Ground is overwhelmed with business pickups/dropoffs & they sometimes will just put those single-oncall pickups on the backburner. Hmm, is that why in Oct, we're going to have pickups added to our division?!?

I won't touch Express packages unless they're low priority non-airplane transported, returns department stuff... that doesn't need to get back to the returns warehouse ASAP

but, I ran into an Express guy & we had the same Motorolla scanner; someone else in another thread said that the barcodes will now be consolodated so any Fedex courier/non-employee driver can scan a package

CJinx

I ran into an Express guy & we had the same Motorolla scanner; someone else in another thread said that the barcodes will now be consolodated so any Fedex courier/non-employee driver can scan a package
I believe this is true; they made a big deal about the new MC55A scanners that QA uses will be compatible with what is referred to as the future EPIC barcode, as opposed to the legacy barcode(what GND/HD uses now). EPIC is somewhere in the neighborhood of 34 digits long which is going to be a real pain in the ass for the clerks to manually type in whenever necessary... The 10 key on the MC55A is 1" by 1" with very small buttons.

SmithBarney

I won't touch Express packages unless they're low priority non-airplane transported, returns department stuff... that doesn't need to get back to the returns warehouse ASAP
but, I ran into an Express guy & we had the same Motorolla scanner; someone else in another thread said that the barcodes will now be consolidated so any Fedex courier/non-employee driver can scan a package

All express shipments are considered "air" we technically have no "non-airplane" packages even though some stay on the ground because of their geographic vicinity to destination.(so you probably should never touch an Express package.)

As for our PowerPad(Scanners) they are almost identical slightly different models, the software is different, and at express we can actually scan Ground packages at the drop boxes, unfortunately the scans don't ever show up anywhere(at least not in the tracking system) maybe in a report nobody knows. We can however scan the 3d barcodes on ground packages(the ones that contain the address info) comes in handy at stops where ground has already been there, and our package doesn't have a powership label.

HomeDelivery

All express shipments are considered "air" we technically have no "non-airplane" packages even though some stay on the ground because of their geographic vicinity to destination.(so you probably should never touch an Express package.)

they were thrown in my face because customers doesn't know that there are different opcos of Fedex, much to Dano's surprise... there are still some ignorant customers.

I only handled 3 out of the 6 years I was driving for HD... all return-to-warehouse types. The customers didn't care if it got there a day late or not; it was not an overnight priority. With some terminals, they'll have Express dropboxes that I can get rid of them on the return-to-barn trips. Other terminals will call for an Express pickup the next morning... one time i found a w700 with a slot for customers to drop it right in & I did that while an Express courier was on his break.

DontThrowPackages

I stopped taking Ground as well. I tell them to call ground for the pup and if I see something in the dropbox, best to take it back to the sender address,if its not too far away, and point out to them the big green sign on the box that reads" Ground is not excepted at this Dropbox".

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
they were thrown in my face because customers doesn't know that there are different opcos of Fedex, much to Dano's surprise... there are still some ignorant customers.

I don't want to say anything about your reading comprehension skills, but how would it be a surprise to me when that's what I said?

HomeDelivery

it is what it is... saw the other thread about you saying customers knew about the different opcos & MFE & van wanted to know who they were...

Happy Labor Day!

HomeDelivery

Dano69 said:
Most customers know the difference between Ground and Express....

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f50/unhappy-customers-345655/index5.html#ixzz25Svj8Tkt

yea, my comprehension was lacking; it was Downtrodden that wanted to know who those customers were that knew the difference...
I would really like to meet these customers.

& i agree with the other poster in the other thread that most customers don't really give a damn if it was delivered with a red EX or a green EX driver...