Express raises.

It will be fine

The problem is a new hire should not be making more than a 10 year employee swing or not.
It's pretty simple. The company values a swing driver more than a 10 year driver. A swing driver takes longer to train and it's obviously a harder position to fill. Why shouldn't a person willing to take an undesirable position make a premium? Cause seniority? Come on man.

MAKAVELI

It's pretty simple. The company values a swing driver more than a 10 year driver. A swing driver takes longer to train and it's obviously a harder position to fill. Why shouldn't a person willing to take an undesirable position make a premium? Cause seniority? Come on man.
You don't get it bro. The swing has always been paid a differential. Nobody is complaining about that. The problem is with no wage progression for midrange employees, the starting wage has caught up with 10 year employees. This is why Express is bleeding good, experienced employees. Most new hires coming in fail miserably and in no way replaces the experienced courier. Get it?

It will be fine

You don't get it bro. The swing has always been paid a differential. Nobody is complaining about that. The problem is with no wage progression for midrange employees, the starting wage has caught up with 10 year employees. This is why Express is bleeding good, experienced employees. Most new hires coming in fail miserably and in no way replaces the experienced courier. Get it?
I get it. Your problem is 10 years in to this job is bad for productivity. After 10 years of the crap the drivers are just older and likely more apathetic. In my experience training new drivers they either get it in a few weeks or they never do. A good guy with a month under his belt is good enough. There is not a significant benefit to years of experience. There is a significant benefit to a driver that can adequately cover a dozen or so routes.

MAKAVELI

I get it. Your problem is 10 years in to this job is bad for productivity. After 10 years of the crap the drivers are just older and likely more apathetic. In my experience training new drivers they either get it in a few weeks or they never do. A good guy with a month under his belt is good enough. There is not a significant benefit to years of experience. There is a significant benefit to a driver that can adequately cover a dozen or so routes.
Well Express is finding out the hard way that's not how it works here. And you are missing the point it's the good productive ones that are leaving. People are starting to wake up and realize there are better opportunities out there for them.

Purplepackage

Well Express is finding out the hard way that's not how it works here. And you are missing the point it's the good productive ones that are leaving. People are starting to wake up and realize there are better opportunities out there for them.

I wonder where this mass exodus is occurring, definetly not at my station or any close to me.

whenIgetthere

So then what's the problem? Should they have not given it to anyone just because the guy is new?

I believe its a dollar increase to be a swing and obvisouly the new guy is the only one who wanted it so there's no problem to take to a labor board

Only 67 cents/hr here. I got that when I went back to a swing, then lost three times that when I went back to regular courier! Ridiculous!

vantexan

And that's the crux of the problem. Topped out employees don't have some magical quality, they are as good as when they were 1 year employees. But today's one year employee will never enjoy the pay and benefits the topped out employee has/had. But he's expected to work along side those who are doing much better and he'll just have to like it or leave. This has been going on some time now and it really gets to those who have worked hard faithfully for 10 years. Nothing against topped out employees, they've earned it. But when they pull away from midrange employees year over year with bigger raises while newhires start at nearly as much pay then there's a large group in the middle that's just getting screwed. You can talk theory all you want, but these are real people trying to provide for their families and futures, not wanting to live paycheck to paycheck so that folks like you can do better.

It will be fine

so that folks like you can do better.
Who are folks like me? I started as a package handler and spent a few decades building a business. I've done every job along the way. When I started driving I looked around, saw a few old men still slinging boxes and decided that would not be me. So I got to work, wasn't given anything, took some risks and now it's working out quite well. It's a choice to remain in a manual labor job. I shed no tears for the people that make that choice.

Jayhawk

Im calling B.S. on this. A 10 year courier with a good work ethic is worth significantly more than a new hire.

dezguy

Im calling B.S. on this. A 10 year courier with a good work ethic is worth significantly more than a new hire.
We have a couple of new hires at my station. They are literally as close to useless as you can get but only make less than a dollar less than people who are far more productive and have been here longer. Took one guy almost 6 hours to do 24 deliveries and 13 pups the other day. 24 AND 13!

overflowed

SM said you guys will hear something in the summer about compensation related things. That's it though.

Last edited:

vantexan

Who are folks like me? I started as a package handler and spent a few decades building a business. I've done every job along the way. When I started driving I looked around, saw a few old men still slinging boxes and decided that would not be me. So I got to work, wasn't given anything, took some risks and now it's working out quite well. It's a choice to remain in a manual labor job. I shed no tears for the people that make that choice.
Here's the problem with your post. In order for FedEx to make it's profit, as well as many mega-corporations today, they depend on a workforce willing to stay with them and accept less. It's not a one way street, the company can't exist without us. Our work has value but it's looking more and more like companies are colluding to hold pay down so that their exec's can cash in with Wall Street. So many good jobs have been exported that there aren't enough decent paying jobs to go around. Companies are taking full advantage with their McJobs, turning a large segment of the middle class into struggling working class wage slaves. What galls me, among other things, is the Republican Party is supposed to be the party of limited government but our CEO took full advantage of the machinations of government to specifically screw Express couriers. And I shed no tears for anyone that takes advantage of the situation to exploit others.

It will be fine

Here's the problem with your post. In order for FedEx to make it's profit, as well as many mega-corporations today, they depend on a workforce willing to stay with them and accept less. It's not a one way street, the company can't exist without us. Our work has value but it's looking more and more like companies are colluding to hold pay down so that their exec's can cash in with Wall Street. So many good jobs have been exported that there aren't enough decent paying jobs to go around. Companies are taking full advantage with their McJobs, turning a large segment of the middle class into struggling working class wage slaves. What galls me, among other things, is the Republican Party is supposed to be the party of limited government but our CEO took full advantage of the machinations of government to specifically screw Express couriers. And I shed no tears for anyone that takes advantage of the situation to exploit others.
Sounds like you just don't like capitalism. What's the alternative? Should companies pay higher salaries than they need to in order to operate? That wouldn't be fiscally responsible. The entire economic system is what it is. There are winners and losers. Work the system to your benefit or just cry about it, those are the only options I see.

Artee

My mom worked in fast food in a town where there was little else available. After 10 years at a Hardee's she made less than a dollar more than when she started. If it's the intent to treat us not much better than fast food workers we'll all be living in slums eventually. Fred S was a Marine. Hard to believe his vision of America is exploiting his employees to the point of deprivation. It's not only unpatriotic, but it doesn't make good business sense in the long run. Didn't we fight Communists to protect the American way of life? Seems like those in power no matter which side want us either dependent on government or our company. It's not freedom, it's exploitation to their benefit.

News Flash.....Fast food restaurants are not jobs meant to raise a family on. They are jobs for high school/college students. If you want to stay in the industry and make money you need to move up into store management. A company will never pay more than it has to to attract employees. For eons people have moved from small towns to the larger cities for opportunities to better their life. Because your mom chose not to seek out other opportunities does not mean some company has to overpay for her services.

FedEx is testing the wage scale right now to see how low they can pay and still provide a quality service. Managers have told me its not working and there has to be better wage progression to retain quality employees. Most of the kids that are being hired on as handlers now days have no work ethic. They are not looking for every hour available like many of us were. They want to work the fewest hours they can and then get off work and get high. The stupidity of these new employees is incredible.

MAKAVELI

[QUOTE="Artee, post: 1631946, member: 24351The stupidity of these new employees is incredible.[/QUOTE]
The same could be said for management.;)

Purplepackage

We have a couple of new hires at my station. They are literally as close to useless as you can get but only make less than a dollar less than people who are far more productive and have been here longer. Took one guy almost 6 hours to do 24 deliveries and 13 pups the other day. 24 AND 13!

Is it actually that bad or is he just going slow to get 6 hours of work