FULL TIMERS still in PROGRESSION with seniority date by Aug 1st! Did you file your grievance!?!

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

If your job description is not mentioned in section 2 then you are entitled to the gwi mentioned an article 41.
Section 2 covers both members in progression before aug 1 and those after aug 1 and it’s says they with get the progression rates....I don’t know what your or your ba are reading but it’s clear in art 41

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Section 2 covers both members in progression before aug 1 and those after aug 1 and it’s says they with get the progression rates....I don’t know what your or your ba are reading but it’s clear in art 41

It says right in section 1 that full time employees in progression before August 1st get the above contractual increases. It seems pretty obvious on the face of it what that means. You have to read both section 1 and section 2 to understand what it all really means. It is confusing, and I don't blame anyone for not getting it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
First off, I’m only trying to play devil’s advocate, not start any wars, but where is the ironclad language in section 2 that disputes the OP?

I'm not saying it's iron clad. I explained what I believe is the correct interpretation of those sections a few posts back. Feel free to read it and let me know if you see any weaknesses in that interpretation.

Underallowed306

I'm not saying it's iron clad. I explained what I believe is the correct interpretation of those sections a few posts back. Feel free to read it and let me know if you see any weaknesses in that interpretation.

You make some good points in your earlier posts. It is certainly a gray area. Any language concerning wages shouldn’t be that contradictory. I would certainly file on it just to see where it goes though.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You make some good points in your earlier posts. It is certainly a gray area. Any language concerning wages shouldn’t be that contradictory. I would certainly file on it just to see where it goes though.

I never have any problems really discussing an issue, it's how we can all increase our understanding. I'm interested in hearing how the grievance turns out. But I will say, no fair playing devil's advocate to my devil's advocate. :devil3:

BigJamesBrown

My BA said no to GWI. Just higher progression rate in new contract. :confused2::confused2::confused2:
Your Ba is wrong, ask him to show you the language and section 2 that says full-time employees with a seniority date before August 1st do not get the gwi... File a grievance and get your money!

Last edited:

BigJamesBrown

I don't know all the precedent, or have all the answers. Clearly the language is confusing, and all unclear language should be challenged. I'm not saying you shouldn't grieve it, I'm mostly playing devil's advocate.

I will try, however, to answer your question the best I can based on the language. The difference between people in progression as of the beginning of the contract (prior to August 1st) and those who start progression on or after August 1st is which progression they are in. Prior to August 1st you were in the progression as outlined in the old contract.

The language in section 1 about full time employees already in progression receiving the above contractual increases is the only thing that establishes that you got an increase as of August 1st, without it you would have to wait until your next anniversary date to bump up to the next progression rate.

You get the contractual increase as of the start of the new contract, but the next line says you will be paid no less than what you are entitled to according to section 2 below. The language in 2c was chaged specifically to state that employees in progression under the last agreement will be slotted into the new progression. Thus your increase brings you up to the rate you are entitled to under the new progression.

This language had to be changed from the last contract because, in the last contract, progression went from 3 to 4 years. The last contract had language protecting people in the 3 year progression from being bumped up to a 4 year progression. Since the progression schedule has not changed, just the rates, that language had to be changed.

Once again, the contract does not specifically state a date that the increases must take place, simply that the increases must take place each year. While in progression, the only time August 1st means anything is this year. After that, as long as you get an annual increase, and it is no less than what you are entitled to under section 2 and is at least as much as outlined in section 1, there is no contractual breech.
The contract gives you a specific date of August 1st for your gwi, and it specifically states that you will get your gwi every year during the contract, which is 5 times not once. Everything else you're saying can't be proven with language in the contract, so fortunately it's just your opinion because it cannot be backed up with the language in the contract. The contract tells us who what when and where, in regards to getting the GWI

View attachment 249979
View attachment 249980

SweatPit

i won't bite
Haven't heard a peep from the union yet...
Probably won't hear back until a year later. I am curious what comes of it.

Are you a driver or inside 22.3?

I went full-time in July of 2015. But from what I read I am only good for the $1hr progression raise, not the $.70 too. Unless I was currently stuck at an odd rate where I couldn't get that full dollar then I would get the $.70 or say I was above the 3 year progression but not top scale....then I would get the $.70. That is what happened to a co-worker. She was stuck above the 3 year progression but below the top-scale rate so she got the $.70.

All my co-worker friends that went full-time the same month or prior with around the same building seniority, got the $1. No one got both.

BigJamesBrown

Probably won't hear back until a year later. I am curious what comes of it.

Are you a driver or inside 22.3?

I went full-time in July of 2015. But from what I read I am only good for the $1hr progression raise, not the $.70 too. Unless I was currently stuck at an odd rate where I couldn't get that full dollar then I would get the $.70 or say I was above the 3 year progression but not top scale....then I would get the $.70. That is what happened to a co-worker. She was stuck above the 3 year progression but below the top-scale rate so she got the $.70.

All my co-worker friends that went full-time the same month or prior with around the same building seniority, got the $1. No one got both.
Feeder driver on Deck!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
There were progression pay issues as far back as the 1980s. I received a back pay check back then. Why are problems at this place never solved?

BigJamesBrown

Cannot confirm or deny but latest update is that there were over 2,800 grievances filed regarding this topic. And union says they're supposed to go to panel and August.