Ground taking over

lilwizbiz

Blah blah. 2 of you clowns just said the same thing. You think there’s no way Ground can handle Express freight because you need to believe Express couriers are special. They’re not. You’re easily replaced by the cheaper Ground drivers. I’m sure the super special skills of the unemployed Express drivers will be in high demand as they are laid off.
Broski who hurt you?

zeev

Still comes back once again to the need to get somebody to work for nothing. And here's a good story along those lines:

Yesterday I just happened to come across this help wanted ad. The guy wanted people to do this thing called "kitting" .
So today with nothing else to do and it wasn't far away I decide to go check it out.

As it turned out this so called "kitting" is nothing more than bulk breaking and repackaging for this guy who has a contract with
among others Amazon So I talked to the owner and he showed me what it was all about what the job was going to entail along with the pay of x number of dollars per hour but I would be paid as a 1099 non employee.

I said to him...."1099 is an independent contractor. Now what you want me to do is to serve at your direction convenience and command and control and you want me to pay your share of Social Security and Medicare (FICA) and absolve your company of all workplace health and safety related liability. In addition the IRS has a 20 test protocol to determine whether a person is an employee or an independent contractor and on the basis of what you told me, you've already failed half of them. And remember all a person has to do is to fill out and mail in IRS Form SS-8 and the IRS will tell you what they are".

We parted company politely and obviously I'll neverated heard from him again. As a young business school graduate, he knew what he was doing. Just another one going along for as long as nobody suspects it and for as long as he can get away with it.
Making everybody an independent contractor is the goal, no one wants employees this whole RLA status is negated by the 1099.

AB831

I like how the side that told us all day every day for nearly 2 years that the 2016 election was rigged by Russia and stolen from HRC is taking issue with right wing media.
When did I say either of those things? The 2016 election wasn’t stolen from Clinton, nor was the 2020 election stolen from Trump. There are tons of whiny, delusional liberals. What does that have anything to do with the fact that right wing media is mostly manufactured outrage, lies, and conspiracy theories? Seems like another case of you playing your go to “what about this, what about that” card.

vantexan

Because the two OPCOs were completely separated with different systems. FedEx Express got the RLA status before Ground and kept it with the scam of two separate OPCOs. That's clearly not going to be the case in the near future thus making a single operating system like UPS. Why should Express drivers be covered under the RLA when the two are clearly being combined?
Because RLA status applies to being a scheduled airline, not to being a delivery company. Congress has the power to put the employees under the NLRA but that doesn't change FedEx's status under the RLA. Until Congress acts FedEx employees are under the RLA and all that requires. And as we've seen before Congress can be bought off.

vantexan

Like I said FedEx has taken a 180 since then. Fred is not the CEO anymore and likely has less influence theses days. There was no compliance in 2010, just political influence.
Fred is still a billionaire and likely still the biggest stockholder in FedEx stock. Wouldn't discount his influence.

fatboy33

Was told today at a station outside of nashville CKVA will be losing a third of its full time employees do to ground taking the bulk of our freight. They built a new ground building that express is supposed to operate out of as well. They will be taking more than deferred packages includes nearly everything in town and supposedly will make the same commits that we do.
Finally we see. People have lied to us for years. " Ground is not taking any express freight". Ground is only taking express in far away areas". Ground will not be merging with Express". We've heard it all. But now the truth comes out. Expect your managers to "reassure" express employees not to worry, its all rumors. Once estar gets programmed to their liking, expect Express to consist of FO and P1 only after peak 2023. Pretty sure these corporate heads around the US are paying off the right politicians to allow the borders to flow like a broken pipe until there's enough willing to work for free.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Finally we see. People have lied to us for years. " Ground is not taking any express freight". Ground is only taking express in far away areas". Ground will not be merging with Express". We've heard it all. But now the truth comes out. Expect your managers to "reassure" express employees not to worry, its all rumors. Once estar gets programmed to their liking, expect Express to consist of FO and P1 only after peak 2023. Pretty sure these corporate heads around the US are paying off the right politicians to allow the borders to flow like a broken pipe until there's enough willing to work for free.
Tell Dano. He would call you a liar for pointing out the plain truth. FedEx money might not preserve the RLA this time because what they're doing is so blatant. I would expect that local politicians will get an earful from displaced Express employees and that the lawyers are waiting their turn to pounce.

Remember, according to their official BrownCafe spoke-shill, you need to believe what management is telling you. Nobody is losing their job and operations have not been merged. Nothing has changed and you should just be grateful to work for such a wonderful company.

Gone fishin

Fedex has become no better than Amazon delivery. Once the pioneer of delivering has become a laughing stock of transport. Thank god I’m about done and none of this will affect me.
That said , I hate to see these 40 yr old with 18 or so years in have to suffer for idiot management. In my 35 years of service I honestly don’t think fedex will survive.

It will be fine

Fedex has become no better than Amazon delivery. Once the pioneer of delivering has become a laughing stock of transport. Thank god I’m about done and none of this will affect me.
That said , I hate to see these 40 yr old with 18 or so years in have to suffer for idiot management. In my 35 years of service I honestly don’t think fedex will survive.
FedEx is the largest air cargo company in the world. Even when domestic service drops the network is not something easily replicated by competition. There’s not really anywhere for all the volume to go. There’s UPS and the post office, that’s it. FedEx has and will continue to destroy its reputation for quality service, but it’ll make money for the foreseeable future.

MAKAVELI

FedEx is the largest air cargo company in the world. Even when domestic service drops the network is not something easily replicated by competition. There’s not really anywhere for all the volume to go. There’s UPS and the post office, that’s it. FedEx has and will continue to destroy its reputation for quality service, but it’ll make money for the foreseeable future.
Insert Amazon.

Gone fishin

I use to believe that , not anymore. This company continues to fall

Lates

Honestly managers seemed to be worried about their jobs as well. It’s a crazy situation anyone who feels safe has blinders on.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Spot-on with the reputation comment, but I don't think they really care too much. They will continue to sell the "Absolutely, Positively, Overnight" line along with PSP and all the rest of the BS. At this point, even the Purple People have to see that it's all crap and means absolutely nothing.

Customers are starting to catch-on, and as they do, fewer will be willing to pay for poor Express service. When your vital whatever doesn't get there, next time you call UPS. They are still professional and have excellent service. You get what you pay for, and UPS employees either get it done correctly or they're gone.

Contrast that with the Ground guy in the 20 year-old W700 with a bent frame that hasn't been washed in a year. He noses into your driveway, and throws your package up against the garage because you have stairs. He's wearing a Ross or Goodwill warm-up suit and looks like he's just been released on parole. And, your package is late by about a week.

Over time, people take notice, like when the Ground driver murdered that girl in Texas or when Ground semis are consistently involved in major accidents. I'm not sure who is worse, Ground or Swift. Probably a toss-up. Express employees aren't much better these days, and they keep lowering the bar.

Let's give this a few months and see where it goes and if regulators smell a rat.

Aquaman

Because RLA status applies to being a scheduled airline, not to being a delivery company. Congress has the power to put the employees under the NLRA but that doesn't change FedEx's status under the RLA. Until Congress acts FedEx employees are under the RLA and all that requires. And as we've seen before Congress can be bought off.
The goal of this company right now is to become as close to the UPS operation without combining the operations. They want to be UPS with the RLA exemption.