Deadset

That seems insane. Wow!
From all the information I've seen on this site is that it all depends on instructors and if you improve daily. If you forget stuff you may pass. If you remember everything you may pass. It doesn't seem like there are set rules and each hub is different. I'm doing my best to remember everything.

Softconcrete

My coworker is there right now. He says at intergrad the info is slightly different from what we received in the HR paperwork so from what he remembered he has to learn something a little different. This ever happen? The paperwork is received is pretty much what everyone else posted

Deadset

My coworker is there right now. He says at intergrad the info is slightly different from what we received in the HR paperwork so from what he remembered he has to learn something a little different. This ever happen? The paperwork is received is pretty much what everyone else posted
Well that's pretty ridiculous. Nice been studying the link HR sent me. Just another UPS tactic

Galadriel

I was on a waiting list for 2 different centers. To my knowledge, the 5 seeing habits are word for word and do not change, with the exception of 4.

"Leave yourself an out." My paperwork stated 4 sides, but they are now teaching 6 sides (top/bottom of package car as well)

As far as 10 point, we did not need it to be in any specific order, but the bold had to be word for word. The explanation of each was in our own words.

For one center it stated we were also going to be tested on the 8 keys to lifting and lowering, rules of backing, 5 keys to preventing slip and falls etc.

I ended up getting to go in my home state and was only tested on the 5, 10, Timm, and the 2 minute driver drill. Having it all memorized made for a smooth sailing week. Tested out the first day, and was able to focus on the training.

Nortex

I was on a waiting list for 2 different centers. To my knowledge, the 5 seeing habits are word for word and do not change, with the exception of 4.

"Leave yourself an out." My paperwork stated 4 sides, but they are now teaching 6 sides (top/bottom of package car as well)

As far as 10 point, we did not need it to be in any specific order, but the bold had to be word for word. The explanation of each was in our own words.

For one center it stated we were also going to be tested on the 8 keys to lifting and lowering, rules of backing, 5 keys to preventing slip and falls etc.

I ended up getting to go in my home state and was only tested on the 5, 10, Timm, and the 2 minute driver drill. Having it all memorized made for a smooth sailing week. Tested out the first day, and was able to focus on the training.

Last edited:

Oak

That's what I'm hoping. I'm going in for casual driver. I've got the 5/10 memorized. That's all I'm focusing on right now.
If you have the 5 & 10 down pat, start applying them while you're driving your personal car. For example, following distance is a lot harder to maintain than you'd think it is. 6 - 8 seconds at 55 mph is farther than you'd think.

Also, start working on the pre-trip with your personal car. It won't be quite the same, but it'll get you a jump on learning it.

Do not even begin to think you have the 5 & 10 down pat and forget to go over it several times daily.

Deadset

If you have the 5 & 10 down pat, start applying them while you're driving your personal car. For example, following distance is a lot harder to maintain than you'd think it is. 6 - 8 seconds at 55 mph is farther than you'd think.

Also, start working on the pre-trip with your personal car. It won't be quite the same, but it'll get you a jump on learning it.

Do not even begin to think you have the 5 & 10 down pat and forget to go over it several times daily.
I'm looking for stuff online about the pre trip and can't find anything. My driving instructor went over it quickly for my driving test but that was it. How many points is it and how long does it take

Deadset

I thought I had the 5-10 down pat and then I started having someone test me... maybe like 75 percent with some stuttering lol
What is helping me is just getting the first line of the 10 pt memorized. Say it 10 times then say the rest of the phrase. Once you can start it then the rest follows

Galadriel

YouTube has a great 10 point video. I watched it a couple times a day while taking notes. I also made flash cards and wrote it all out. Don't try and memorizing it all at once. I did 1,2, 3,4 5 6,7 8,9 then 10. Make sure when you're memorizing them you keep them in the order so the points match up with the number.

For instance -3. when starting at an intersection count 1,2,3
5. Check mirrors every 5-8 seconds
6/7 or going to be the "2 S's"
9- think of a stick person looking over left shoulder- 3L's

Once I had the bold memorized, I then moved to the 5 seeing habits. First I memorized the All Good Kids Like Milk.
Then the rest. A lot of the 5 seeing you can use to explain for the 10 point.

Once I had the 10 point bold and 5 seeing down, then I worked on the description part of the 10 point.

Also if you were given practice tests, make a ton of copies and test yourself a couple times a day.

If you can go to school with this completed, and test out right away, it will make the whole week seem easy. There were people still trying to test out Friday and it caused them to be on edge the whole week.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I still contend that it is up to the local centers to make sure new driver candidates are thoroughly prepared prior to going to school and that they bear financial responsibility if one of their own washes out solely due to lack of preparation.