AutoZone

BrownPower
I ran into a FedEx driver the other day when I was grabbing some lunch, about 1 pm. He had his uniform on but already was done for the day and had his som with him. He started small talk telling his son UPS is where you want to be, that's where the pay and bennies are.

I was just thinking to myself this guy just worked a half a day! What's that?
Only difference is, he's salaried. Of course it's not ups pay.. probably $700 a week.. he doesn't care about how long he's out there.. gets the same pay.

AutoZone

BrownPower
We have a line out the door.
No, you have a line of kids that have never worked before, or hardly worked that take those tours.. they come in, get there free week of class paid, 1 week of work(if that) and quit.. when I was rehired a little over a year ago, I was 1 of 15 guys.. I warned them they're in for an awakening. This isn't easy Work and it's for crappy money.. gotta stick it out at least a year!! Well every one of them quit within 1 month. Caught one walking out one night and he was like screw this place! I'm going to go drive a vending truck.. $400 a week! Double what I make here!!! I told him stick it out bud!! You'll laugh at $400 a week once you're in here... I never saw him again.. needless to say, I made $43/hr today (almost his whole week)... Don't know why these kids don't listen!

As for Orion being developed to make replacing us easier, perhaps in part but I don't think that was the ultimate reason. They believe it does indeed save millions of miles corporate wide. Supposedly it is they report. It's not a conspiracy to replace us but surely this tech used today would come to be beneficial if the driver force needed quick replacing. Not just Orion, but even having EDD in place already greatly lessons the learning curve to our job compared to pre-EDD/DIAD days. At the '97 strike, we were just on the DIAD 2. I wasn't there but it sure had to be much more difficult to learn to run a route back then. Now with EDD/Orion and Google maps, I can run stop for stop blind with no learning time delay. They throw me out blind, I say no problem.

As for whether Orion is easier or harder to run without area knowledge it depends. Depends on the route and it depends on what part of day and different situations. EDD is typically easier because it's set up in a linear, in order type setup. Orion bounces you around and without area knowledge, you won't know that you're supposed to change directions or whatever it asks. At least it sets up the air run for those that don't know an area even if you have to skip the grounds it may sprinkle in.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I ran into a FedEx driver the other day when I was grabbing some lunch, about 1 pm. He had his uniform on but already was done for the day and had his som with him. He started small talk telling his son UPS is where you want to be, that's where the pay and bennies are.

I was just thinking to myself this guy just worked a half a day! What's that?
Most of the fedex guys I see look like ex-cons with long hair, beards or go-tees, and tats. they look terrible. I bet neighborhood watch calls on them all the time.

I am proud of the professional look we UPSers have. yes I am retired, you haters, but once a UPSer, always a UPSer.

As for Orion being developed to make replacing us easier, perhaps in part but I don't think that was the ultimate reason. They believe it does indeed save millions of miles corporate wide. Supposedly it is they report. It's not a conspiracy to replace us but surely this tech used today would come to be beneficial if the driver force needed quick replacing. Not just Orion, but even having EDD in place already greatly lessons the learning curve to our job compared to pre-EDD/DIAD days. At the '97 strike, we were just on the DIAD 2. I wasn't there but it sure had to be much more difficult to learn to run a route back then. Now with EDD/Orion and Google maps, I can run stop for stop blind with no learning time delay. They throw me out blind, I say no problem.

As for whether Orion is easier or harder to run without area knowledge it depends. Depends on the route and it depends on what part of day and different situations. EDD is typically easier because it's set up in a linear, in order type setup. Orion bounces you around and without area knowledge, you won't know that you're supposed to change directions or whatever it asks. At least it sets up the air run for those that don't know an area even if you have to skip the grounds it may sprinkle in.
diag

DIAD two was just more for tracking packages, not for any GPS .The 97 strike aimed more for giving part timers the full time benefits, UPS was working part timers full time hours with part time benefits Technology is hurting a lot of people. I'm now with the railroad and technology is trying to replace 2 man crews with only one man on the train. All for profit and the investors. I have 13 yrs with ups ,left in 2001 and do not know what is going to happen with my pension.

Brisket

DIAD two was just more for tracking packages, not for any GPS .The 97 strike aimed more for giving part timers the full time benefits, UPS was working part timers full time hours with part time benefits Technology is hurting a lot of people. I'm now with the railroad and technology is trying to replace 2 man crews with only one man on the train. All for profit and the investors. I have 13 yrs with ups ,left in 2001 and do not know what is going to happen with my pension.
Freight train? Damn that does NOT sound safe!