km3

Is UPS allowed to pay more than they have to with no union issues?

I'd like to know this as well. 2016 hires in my building get a $75/weekly bonus. My understanding, after talking to my steward, is that there's already a national grievance on that which needs to be heard before I can do anything about it.

The contract states all wages listed are a minimum.

Yes, in fact, it says that twice. At least. But wouldn't it need to be equally applied to all workers in a classification? I got the impression that's why they're throwing these bonuses around. They want to raise wages for new hires without having to pay people like me more, so they add stupid requirements like "you must have been hired in 2016."

oldngray

nowhere special
I'd like to know this as well. 2016 hires in my building get a $75/weekly bonus. My understanding, after talking to my steward, is that there's already a national grievance on that which needs to be heard before I can do anything about it.

Yes, in fact, it says that twice. At least. But wouldn't it need to be equally applied to all workers in a classification? I got the impression that's why they're throwing these bonuses around. They want to raise wages for new hires without having to pay people like me more, so they add stupid requirements like "you must have been hired in 2016."

Didn't they kind of do that in the last contract with the differences between new hires and those in progression?

PT Car Washer

Bonus's have no contractual guarantees. Here today and gone tomorrow, just like education assistance.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It will become a reality only if spineless, boot-lickers (take a peak in the mirror) ALLOW it! You and I have been down this road before Dave. People like you disgust me. Always naysayers, never willing to step-up and toe the line for a principle or fellow human being.
Bam... Smacking Davy boys ass

JL 0513

Helpers better be bumped up this year. Last year was a total screw up getting enough helpers on at $10 or whatever an hour. People want more incentive when it's just a 3-4 week gig.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

You should see the bonus they are giving the casual feeder drivers who are working every day they are called during peak... Not to mention the 25 dollars an hour regular hourly pay

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
At my building they have been trying to fill a PE mechanic position for months. Same with several automotive mechanic positions in outlaying Centers. Can't find any qualified people to start at $18.75/hr and a 4 year progression.
They should try what my wife's job is doing now.

They too were having trouble finding anyone other than new grads and new grads were leaving in the first 6 months for better deals.

Their pay progression was based on years with the group. Now they have changed that to years of service. I know that won't work with everyone but with mechanics it might.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
So in talking with a pretty savvy, seemingly pretty smart center manager, told me he believes the main purpose of Orion is so that if the union decides to strike again, they'll have the software in place to just hire off the streets for half of what they pay us, and then tell the union to take a hike eventually.. o asked where he got that from, and he said the next contract top rate FT driver pay will more then likely be cut by $7-$8 an hour unless you're grandfathered in because ups has to make up their losses somewhere. Something about they hardly show profit on shipping now, and they've been buying up other companies just to stay afloat right now.. anyone have any insight on this,?
A typical miserable manager throwing :censored2: out to stir up the troops. UPS management does this every contract season. Throw stuff out there to see the reaction. It's called research.

Remember that you are a member of a union. Strength in numbers.

Always answer managers the same way. That you and your co-workers are ready to do whatever it takes to take care of your family.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A typical miserable manager throwing :censored2: out to stir up the troops. UPS management does this every contract season. Throw stuff out there to see the reaction. It's called research.

Remember that you are a member of a union. Strength in numbers.

Always answer managers the same way. That you and your co-workers are ready to do whatever it takes to take care of your family.

So, in other words, you don't know what you are talking about.

PT Car Washer

They should try what my wife's job is doing now.

They too were having trouble finding anyone other than new grads and new grads were leaving in the first 6 months for better deals.

Their pay progression was based on years with the group. Now they have changed that to years of service. I know that won't work with everyone but with mechanics it might.
From what I am hearing the company is working with the Union to figure out how the company can improve the starting rate without being unfair to employees currently in progression.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
I happen to think that I am a realist. In order for us to continue to compete with Ground we need to address our wage disparities. Since we know Ground is not going to significantly raise their wages we need to significantly lower ours.

I honestly question if you are an actual driver or someone that sits in an office. It takes 4+ FedEx drivers to service my customers. If you were an actual driver you would be out there and would see that the FedEx trucks are NEVER FULL! My god I have 3 ground drivers in my area and another 2 express guys I cross paths with daily. I have NEVER, EVER seen any FedEx truck more than 1/2 full at any time on any day. I was at the hospital dock a while back and fedex was about to pull away. Hellos and small talk and I basicly said 200+ days blow. He said, "yeah, I hate it when I get that many pieces." I was like WTF?!?!?! Told him I was talking stops, I left the barn with 320 packages and he just stared at me. He couldn't say a word because he could not comprehend a 200 stop day. The look on his face was priceless! When it takes less than 4 fedex guys to do the same job I do then I will start to worry about competing!

We have a line out the door.

You have a line out the door of people interviewing to keep their public assistance. If this wasn't the case why would they be having building tours every 2 days all year long?

JL 0513

I honestly question if you are an actual driver or someone that sits in an office. It takes 4+ FedEx drivers to service my customers. If you were an actual driver you would be out there and would see that the FedEx trucks are NEVER FULL! My god I have 3 ground drivers in my area and another 2 express guys I cross paths with daily. I have NEVER, EVER seen any FedEx truck more than 1/2 full at any time on any day. I was at the hospital dock a while back and fedex was about to pull away. Hellos and small talk and I basicly said 200+ days blow. He said, "yeah, I hate it when I get that many pieces." I was like WTF?!?!?! Told him I was talking stops, I left the barn with 320 packages and he just stared at me. He couldn't say a word because he could not comprehend a 200 stop day. The look on his face was priceless! When it takes less than 4 fedex guys to do the same job I do then I will start to worry about competing!

I ran into a FedEx driver the other day when I was grabbing some lunch, about 1 pm. He had his uniform on but already was done for the day and had his som with him. He started small talk telling his son UPS is where you want to be, that's where the pay and bennies are.

I was just thinking to myself this guy just worked a half a day! What's that?