3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Listen to the drivers. We can help tremendously. Scrap IE, they have no clue what they are doing. They just send an e mail- follow the plan, make it happen. Feeder dept. Needs to step up to the plate. Holding loads, can't get work to buildings. A lot of pre load down time. Up to 3 hrs of nothing. We need a building that hold at least 50 areas. Not 24 we have.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Dispatch needs to have an idea behind their "strategy." What do they want to accomplish? Are their current actions going to work toward accomplishing those goals?

Instead, it seems as if dispatch is merely concerned with solving the problems of the day while ignoring underlying patterns of logistical inefficiency. That's a shame. By taking a step back from the day to day, a curious dispatch sup might quickly identify a number of areas where substantial improvement could be made to the overall plan.

Essentially all drivers experience situations each day that defy all things logistical. Without the information to know why such changes might have been made and furthermore without the autonomy to make any changes of their own, the driver becomes a demoralized individual who recognizes the ignorance of management yet has no ability to communicate to them what might be an intelligible and creative idea.

This has a negative impact on driver morale and even lends to a feeling of learned helplessness among them. The drivers don't understand errors in the dispatch so much as they are victimized by such errors. That's a strong word, but it illustrates how an arbitrary decision by a dispatch sup can drastically effect the day of a driver both logistically and even emotionally if the solution say, is responsible for a driver not making it home in time to see his children.

Drivers need to do a better job of communicating clearly to management what they identify as legitimate problems in their delivery solutions. Managers need to do a better job of facilitating these types of constructive criticisms and then listening and acting upon them. Finally, both drivers and managers need to find a way to work as colleagues rather than combatants in solving these issues.
Theres already a ups know it all here on these boards... we dont need another ceo wannabe.... btw, is that you in your avatar tripping over boxes almost falling out of the truck... nice.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Listen to the drivers. We can help tremendously. Scrap IE, they have no clue what they are doing. They just send an e mail- follow the plan, make it happen. Feeder dept. Needs to step up to the plate. Holding loads, can't get work to buildings. A lot of pre load down time. Up to 3 hrs of nothing. We need a building that hold at least 50 areas. Not 24 we have.
Why worry about it... they don’t care so why should you???

GenericUsername

Comfier seats and air conditioning in the PCs so I can sit back and let everyone else mess up while out on the road for 14 hours comfortably.

But seriously, better dispatching, better (and earlier) training for new seasonal hires, better plan, earlier start times, and get the air here on time... I think over the past two weeks we've only had air on time twice, and both days were Monday. Starting today after 9 AM due to the same issue.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Put me in charge?

Actually, our center functions rather smoothly, as long as the volume gets here in time. We rolled a trailer on Wednesday but processed it and all of the other incoming volume yesterday. We did have a very late plane that we are not going to process until this morning but other than that we are clean and will not be working this Saturday.

We have a couple of newbies who are struggling and a couple of drivers who did hit their 14 which resulted in just about every driver being sent back out to help but I came back to the building at around 6 last night, asked if we were all set and was told to have a good night.

Weather has not been a factor thus far and does not appear that it will be a factor for the bulk of next week.
Thanks for the play by play from your centers morning shtbshow conference call... seriously, what the hell are you going to do when you retire from here....you’re going to be one of these retirees who goes into work once a month to hang out with the sups..arent ya’

Quit penny pinching and update the damn buildings so we can process the volume we get without having multiple safety issues.

I about had it yesterday. Three days in a row no egress. Wet plastic bags everywhere. Hurt my back all week since they can't figure stuff out. Mentioned grieves and now everything is fixed without talking to a steward. Love small center. Word travels fast.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

I agreed to everything up to the feeder part.
I've been here for a short time but I know we are fully staffed, we even rented tractors we're probably never going to use.
If you ever walked through a Hub at 3am, it's like a horror movie on steroids.
The piles of incompatibles behind each trailer is like the rubble under Mount Rushmore, just piles up.
Belts backed up and packages falling over the edges of the conveyor.
These guys work hard but you can only do what you can do.

Drivers have to wait around way after the "pull time", which means we can't get the trailers to the buildings in time to process.
Trailers get there as soon as possible, but when the hubs run late, you won't be able to process them in time for delivery drivers.

John Wall

Off My Last Name, With Gigantic Balls
I think hiring a large group of retards right before the busiest time of the year would make sense. And then try to teach them months worth of training in 15 minutes. Oh wait ...