TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Need to get rid of irregs and massive pkgs, and go back to what most of the buildings are set up for.
honestly this would buy us 5 years of capacity issues, the importance of irregs on how stretched we are can't be understated

plan days and inside PPH would be improved too, as IE measurements are always poor when it comes to irreg handling

Johney

I agreed to everything up to the feeder part.
I've been here for a short time but I know we are fully staffed, we even rented tractors we're probably never going to use.
If you ever walked through a Hub at 3am, it's like a horror movie on steroids.
The piles of incompatibles behind each trailer is like the rubble under Mount Rushmore, just piles up.
Belts backed up and packages falling over the edges of the conveyor.
These guys work hard but you can only do what you can do.

Drivers have to wait around way after the "pull time", which means we can't get the trailers to the buildings in time to process.
Trailers get there as soon as possible, but when the hubs run late, you won't be able to process them in time for delivery drivers.
Let me also add, getting to a hub and what usually takes 15-20 minutes breaking down and spotting your set can now take up to an hour multiplied by so many more drivers doing the same thing. Shifters trying to pull loads off the doors, they can't get anywhere,so packages pile up in outbound doors,belts backing up down the belt-line cause the other shifter trying to get to the door with an MT is also stuck in the grid-lock. I taken up to 45 minutes to get out of a hub when outside of peak it's 5 minutes tops.Package car drivers trying to get into the building causing more congestion and should that really be a problem at say 11:30-12:00 at night?

watdaflock?

[SERIOUS QUESTION] what is something that could be done in your hub to make UPS function more logically and efficiently?
Talk everyone you know into no longer ordering stuff online, and are only allowed to shop locally for the holidays. Stay away from the chain stores at the mall.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Dispatch needs to have an idea behind their "strategy." What do they want to accomplish? Are their current actions going to work toward accomplishing those goals?

Instead, it seems as if dispatch is merely concerned with solving the problems of the day while ignoring underlying patterns of logistical inefficiency. That's a shame. By taking a step back from the day to day, a curious dispatch sup might quickly identify a number of areas where substantial improvement could be made to the overall plan.

Essentially all drivers experience situations each day that defy all things logistical. Without the information to know why such changes might have been made and furthermore without the autonomy to make any changes of their own, the driver becomes a demoralized individual who recognizes the ignorance of management yet has no ability to communicate to them what might be an intelligible and creative idea.

This has a negative impact on driver morale and even lends to a feeling of learned helplessness among them. The drivers don't understand errors in the dispatch so much as they are victimized by such errors. That's a strong word, but it illustrates how an arbitrary decision by a dispatch sup can drastically effect the day of a driver both logistically and even emotionally if the solution say, is responsible for a driver not making it home in time to see his children.

Drivers need to do a better job of communicating clearly to management what they identify as legitimate problems in their delivery solutions. Managers need to do a better job of facilitating these types of constructive criticisms and then listening and acting upon them. Finally, both drivers and managers need to find a way to work as colleagues rather than combatants in solving these issues.

Yeah dispatch is not my problem to fix. I'm just a dumb truck driver.

@Turdferguson is already there.
dpnfPvaCIHBrW.gif

W

What The Hawk?

Make it a requirement for all preload supervisors to be on the preload for at least 6 months before they take that job. Most of the time they don't know what the friend* they're doing and it's because they've never been in our shoes, they need to know how things work.

Sorry using speech to text.

E

el blanco

make all residential over 70's same day will-call when they arrive, and people will quit ordering that crap

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Make it a requirement for all preload supervisors to be on the preload for at least 6 months before they take that job. Most of the time they don't know what the friend* they're doing and it's because they've never been in our shoes, they need to know how things work.

Sorry using speech to text.
Thanks babe...you’re absolutely right!!!